The Vita Will "Die A Horrible Premature Death"

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
So without social gaming, the console will fail?

Nah.

Forget you guys, I'll be buying it for Uncharted, Little Big planet, and Persona 4. You can keep your generic farming sim with limited turns per day and multi-million dollar shooters with little inovation, thank you.
Well said.

Seriously, ever since Michael Pachter proved you can be a complete moron with your predictions and still get media attention, everyone's acting like all-seeing, all-knowing wankers.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Whether this is right or wrong, I'm just going to wait a bit to get the Vita.
I hope it doesn't fail...[sub]please[/sub]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Dreiko said:
Meh, he's speaking as though multiplayer is all there is to games, Skyrim shows that 1p games are still highly viable, hell they can be game of the year, who even cares if one thing doesn't have multiplayer across all consoles.
But it's not just about multiplayer. It's also about the amount of time and resources devs spend porting games over to other platforms and how poorly it's usually done.
As a PS3 owner who's played many horrible ports, I would love to see them come up with a standard so we don't have to pay the same $60 for a substandard product.
But regardless of the support the Vita gets from third parties, it will die if it gets the same crappy firmware support Sony gave the psp & ps3.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
MisterM2402 said:
Valve *isn't* bang on - I still can't play L4D2 with my friend who has it for Xbox 360 :/
Weren't they going to do it?
I think MS wouldn't allow Steam on Live...or maybe it was that it had to work independently from Live. It was something like that.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Crono1973 said:
I love it when a company puts out a single popular game and then decides to tell us all about the future of gaming.
Yeah really. We should call that "Rovio syndrome" or something.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
JdaS said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
nice idea, but i don't think that's what gonna kill the vita, what'll kill it will likely be the same thing that killed the PsP :p
Wouldn't bet on that. Even the launch line-up is looking much, much better than the titles for the PSP's entire lifespan. I'm entertaining the idea of getting one myself. Only thing stopping me is the price, since I'm pretty sure Sony still thinks every man, woman and child in Europe is a fucking millionaire.
hehe, what? you mean they aren't? /sarcasm think i've had that discussion about the line up once already to >.>. ether way, i don't see it doing well, not 'it comes out and not a single fuck was given' but not exactly an 'omfg!! must have!!' ether

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Oh please, console isolation has never been the main cause of a console's death in the past. Why would it happen now? And for no real reason?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
ice1985 said:
BrotherRool said:
deadish said:
believer258 said:
...Is he talking about the Vita dying solely because you can't play Generic McShooter 2013 with your buddies who own different platforms?
LOL. Pretty much it appears.

The guys is probably just sprouting sensationalist rubbish to get some publicity for his pathetic startup no one cares about.

That lack of cross-platform communication hasn't stop COD:MW3 and BF3 from selling millions, just saying.
The best thing is that he's even wrong. Maybe not with the 360 but with the PC and PS3

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-will-let-pc-and-ps3-gamers-play-together/

What's more one of the selling points of the Vita is the way it integrates with the PS3

The truth is that developing games cross-platform takes a lot of extra work and creates a huge imbalance because either the console guy or the PC guy is going to have an advantage in anything faster than a turn-based game. DC Universe was going to be cross platform (PS3 and PC again) but then they realised it would just screw up the balance
As I understand it, he's not saying developers are wrong for making certain games. He's putting the blame on the console makers. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft need to learn to play nicely together.

I tend to agree with him.
Well Id say we've got definite proof he's wrong. We have evidence of Sony not only letting games work cross-platform, but actually letting Steamworks it too. Sony don't stop cross-platform games because cross-platform games factually exist.

On the other hand, we have DC Universe Online, where Sony said, yep it's fine to make this cross-platform, it's great in fact go ahead! Please do! (And they have a history about saying this with MMO's too, like FFIV) and the only reason that game isn't cross-platform is the developer looked at the game and realised cross-platform sucks and wasn't worth the effort.

So we have examples of Sony specifically allowing cross-platform gaming and an examples of those developers specifically deciding themselves not to do it and you're suggesting you agree with the hypothesis that the lack of cross-platforming gaming is a conspiracy from Sony to stop the developers from doing it?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I would say that this is a major blow for Vita:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/sony-vita-psn/

Sony Backtracks, Says Only One Account Per Vita

Jan 22, 2011
using handheld for multiplayer gaming... are you kidding me? The only game i played online on the psp was monster hunter, twisted metal and socom but most people like me that play hand-helds play for SINGLE PLAYER..aye..

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
These comments bring to my mind Sony's complete and utter refusal to switch to the much better SD card rather than their infernal memory stick.

Jan 22, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
These comments bring to my mind Sony's complete and utter refusal to switch to the much better SD card rather than their infernal memory stick.
a company has a right to design their system any way they wish. Hell you can't afford this??
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Platinum-Memory-Stick-16GB/dp/B002GQ4GJ2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1324004359&sr=8-11

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I'd never even heard of the Vita until months after it had apparently been announced. It's just PSP with an extra analogue stick thing. And the PSP was not very good. No-one will buy this.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Brandon Cecil said:
Johnson McGee said:
a company has a right to design their system any way they wish. Hell you can't afford this??
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Platinum-Memory-Stick-16GB/dp/B002GQ4GJ2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1324004359&sr=8-11
1) Sony has every right to design their system as they wish and consumers have every right to complain about it and/or refuse to buy it.

2) That link leads to a PSP memory stick, pretty sure this poster is referring to the overpriced Vita memory stick.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I don't see how lack of cross-platform playability will be the killing blow for the Vita. I mean, I don't really know anyone who jumps on their handheld to play with friends... it's for killing time in lines or if the power goes out.

Having said that- the memory cards and account restrictions could be a big issue. I was planning on setting aside extra funds this holiday season to buy the vita on launch due to the great lineup. I've never bought a launch system before, so that was a big decision for me. But finding out I won't be able to share it properly with friends until they can afford their own- AND I have to spend another $50+ to be able to save? Yeah- launch system plans utterly scrapped. This from someone who spent double the money on a 2GB SD card to get the one that said 'Sandisk for Wii' on it. Here's hoping Sony gets things together sooner rather than later to give us a better deal. (And that the fanboys don't justify things with blind loyslty purchases.)

Jan 22, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Brandon Cecil said:
Johnson McGee said:
1) Sony has every right to design their system as they wish and consumers have every right to complain about it and/or refuse to buy it.

2) That link leads to a PSP memory stick, pretty sure this poster is referring to the overpriced Vita memory stick.
true enough, people will ***** no matter what however that memory stick link is for original PSP but I wanted to show how much they have been marked down. Give the vita two years and the sticks will get cheaper with companies making 3rd party cards as well.

On subject "read previous post" it's a hand-held system, multi-player on them is not a high priority on my list.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like someone is trying to rationalize their business to investors.

I've seen dozens of these "X(something that has been successful for years and shows not even a hint of slowing or having difficulties) is doomed to failure! The future is with our Y!" statements in the tech-industry, and they're usually from some obscure company in the middle of B.F.E. that's trying to cause a stir for PR purposes so they can grab some small attention from investors.