The Wahlburgers: The Best of Bad Reality TV?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Wahlburgers: The Best of Bad Reality TV?

I promised myself I wasn't gonna watch this show...

Read Full Article

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
You know, for all people complained about reality TV ruining all television forever around ten years ago, at least those shows had real flair. Spectacle. They were like the high-concept, big-budget cousins of sleazy game shows. Nowadays all we get is Pop Idol-inspired competitions and contrived docu-dramas about people and situations barely interesting enough to deserve a "Hey, did you hear about this?" human interest story on a slow news day.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Steve the Pocket said:
You know, for all people complained about reality TV ruining all television forever around ten years ago, at least those shows had real flair. Spectacle. They were like the high-concept, big-budget cousins of sleazy game shows. Nowadays all we get is Pop Idol-inspired competitions and contrived docu-dramas about people and situations barely interesting enough to deserve a "Hey, did you hear about this?" human interest story on a slow news day.
At least the History Channel... things they make... occasionally are used to fund non-pandering historical stuff every once in a while. Like the Bonnie-and-Clyde colab. Or any of their one-and-dones or the "let's humanize mythologized sections of the last 500 years".

This, I see no payoff except to the TV execs.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I get that not everyone loves everything ever made. It's only natural, people like different things.

With that said, I just don't get the overwhelming hatred some people have against Entourage. I get if people don't like it (I thought season 1 was pretty boring), but I never see anyone say that they "just" don't like it. It seems that Entourage is either loved, liked, or truly f*cking hated. Heck, Bob himself just called it "the worst thing that ever happened to television". Why is that?

Oh, and I guess I should say something about the topic. Well, um, I didn't know that this was a thing. And I really don't watch reality TV... Yeah, I got nothing. Pardon.

Jan 12, 2012
Trucken said:
I get that not everyone loves everything ever made. It's only natural, people like different things.

With that said, I just don't get the overwhelming hatred some people have against Entourage. I get if people don't like it (I thought season 1 was pretty boring), but I never see anyone say that they "just" don't like it. It seems that Entourage is either loved, liked, or truly f*cking hated. Heck, Bob himself just called it "the worst thing that ever happened to television". Why is that?
I've never understood that either. I know some people have gone on record saying that it was sexist, but I saw a couple dozen episodes scattered through the seasons and I never found it to be particularly so (i.e. It was a bit sexist, but no more so that ~75% of the movies and shows out there).

On the topic of questions not related to the article, why do some people say, "Toronto, Canada"? Is there some other city named Toronto that people regularly refer to? It's like hearing someone say "London, England" or "New York, USA"; it's unnecessary specification in average conversation, when everybody would know just from the name of the city which one you are talking about. (And even if there was the possibility of confusion, why not say "Toronto, Ontario", as some people say "Paris, Texas". Going right for the country seems like you go from potentially too narrow right to too broad.)

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
It's like hearing someone say "London, England" or "New York, USA"; it's unnecessary specification in average conversation, when everybody would know just from the name of the city which one you are talking about. (And even if there was the possibility of confusion, why not say "Toronto, Ontario", as some people say "Paris, Texas". Going right for the country seems like you go from potentially too narrow right to too broad.)
I don't see the problem with it. For all of us foreigners know, there very well might be another Toronto in Massachusetts. We're not all experts on North American geography.

For example, people saying "Melbourne, Australia" is perfectly fine. Saying "Melbourne, Victoria" would be weird in an international context, because there are other provinces/states in the world named Victoria (not to mention that most people wouldn't know the states of Australia). I could probably name a few of the provinces of Canada, but certainly not all of them.

Providing more context is not something to be bothered by. What does bother me about the articles is the way we had to click on a frickin' YouTube link, just to find out what "The Worst Thing to Happen to TV" is supposed to be. Couldn't he have simply linked to the Wikipedia page for Entourage - and then we could see the name of what he was talking about in the link, rather than having to click it?

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
This doesn't interest me, but to be honest, little TV does. So I doubt the makers will be disappointed not to draw my attention, because aiming the show at me in the first place, would've been a mistake. I am not a casual TV watcher and only have 1 show on the go at the moment that I watch and I watch it online.

Reality TV tends to be lower budget and therefore seen as lower risk and better on returns AND it's popular on TV for some reason today. So I'm not wholly surprised at this existing.

I'm also not mad that it is out, I don't get why people are so against these new reality TV shows coming out. There are so many channels showing so much tripe all the time, why single out reality TV for such hate? I know it's crud and can make the unremarkable famous through no good action, but if that's what people choose to watch, I'm afraid that's what people choose to watch. By no means do the best always get the most recognition and the truly awful can get famous a lot easier than the mediocre, especially due to the nature of viral media today, let's not forget Rebecca Black or Sharknado.

Not for me, but just means I don't partake.

Fans, feel free to enjoy your Wahlburgers.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I never even heard of it. And now, thanks to Bob, I will never watch it. The only regret is that I now know about it and the knowledge of its existence makes life a little sadder

What is a "Masshole"? Is that an asshole from Massachusetts, a man asshole, a Mark (Whalberg) asshole? What's the "MA"?

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Trucken said:

I've never understood that either. I know some people have gone on record saying that it was sexist, but I saw a couple dozen episodes scattered through the seasons and I never found it to be particularly so (i.e. It was a bit sexist, but no more so that ~75% of the movies and shows out there).

On the topic of questions not related to the article, why do some people say, "Toronto, Canada"? Is there some other city named Toronto that people regularly refer to? It's like hearing someone say "London, England" or "New York, USA"; it's unnecessary specification in average conversation, when everybody would know just from the name of the city which one you are talking about. (And even if there was the possibility of confusion, why not say "Toronto, Ontario", as some people say "Paris, Texas". Going right for the country seems like you go from potentially too narrow right to too broad.)
As a lifelong Canuck, I thinks it's because to many southern American's Canada is that weird place up north with snow 11 months of the year and that's about it. So it's assumed if you use Ontario instead of Canada that'll just confuse the issue more.

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
I've watched a few episodes when I couldn't find anything better (I've cut my cable so that'll be ending) and it's alright, not great, just alright. Contrived at points but much more realistic than something like that Hatfields and McCoys or Gold Rush crap. As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" and reality shows are some of the cheapest to produce, sssooooooooo..........