The Walking Dead "Consumed": The Return Of Zombies As Metaphors

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Walking Dead "Consumed": The Return Of Zombies As Metaphors

An already solid season delivers the best episode yet that somehow unites themes of surviving domestic abuse with surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Read Full Article

Dec 10, 2012
Funny, this was the one episode so far this season I didn't love. I thought that it did very well on the symbolism in service of exploring its themes, but so little actually happened here. You can tell by your review, which is half as long as the last five, that the events of the plot were few and far between.

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like things didn't happen for much logical reason. They went into Atlanta, which happens to be one of the biggest cities on the continent, and somehow managed to find not only the perfect piece of evidence crashed in the middle of a featureless road, but also ran across the one person from the hospital who can help them. I can usually strain my suspension of disbelief pretty far, but coincidences like these were too much for me.

I like that this detour gave us the opportunity for insightful character exploration, but I almost wish they had simply followed the car right back to the hospital and got down to the business of breaking Beth out.

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
RossaLincoln said:
The Walking Dead "Consumed": The Return Of Zombies As Metphors

An already solid season delivers the best episode yet that somehow unites themes of surviving domestic abuse with surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Read Full Article
Did you insert the asterisk footnote because you expect us to point out it's Lori, not Laurie? Well... played?

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
JSRevenge said:
RossaLincoln said:
The Walking Dead "Consumed": The Return Of Zombies As Metphors

Read Full Article
Did you insert the asterisk footnote because you expect us to point out it's Lori, not Laurie? Well... played?
Why... yes, that's exactly why I did that. Cough cough fixed. Cough.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
TheVampwizimp said:
Funny, this was the one episode so far this season I didn't love. I thought that it did very well on the symbolism in service of exploring its themes, but so little actually happened here. You can tell by your review, which is half as long as the last five, that the events of the plot were few and far between.

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like things didn't happen for much logical reason. They went into Atlanta, which happens to be one of the biggest cities on the continent, and somehow managed to find not only the perfect piece of evidence crashed in the middle of a featureless road, but also ran across the one person from the hospital who can help them. I can usually strain my suspension of disbelief pretty far, but coincidences like these were too much for me.

I like that this detour gave us the opportunity for insightful character exploration, but I almost wish they had simply followed the car right back to the hospital and got down to the business of breaking Beth out.
They were following one of the vehicles from the hospital, so it isn't that surprising that there were other hospital related elements right there, is it?

Dec 10, 2012
walsfeo said:
TheVampwizimp said:

They were following one of the vehicles from the hospital, so it isn't that surprising that there were other hospital related elements right there, is it?
Except that they stalled out during the pursuit, and lost the hospital car. They didn't even have a direction the morning after, but still found that crashed van the very next day, because they happened to hole up in an office in the one building that looks directly out at the bridge it was stuck on.

And how did they and Noah pick the very same building to explore, at the very same time, twice? It seems like they needed Carol and Daryl to keep meeting Noah somehow, but there was just no explanation for it beyond advancing the plot.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
Except that they stalled out during the pursuit, and lost the hospital car. They didn't even have a direction the morning after, but still found that crashed van the very next day, because they happened to hole up in an office in the one building that looks directly out at the bridge it was stuck on.
Plot convenience? Because three whole episodes of Daryl and Carol searching for Beth, failing to find any trace, and heading back to the group with nothing to show for it does not an interesting story make? Even if their car stalled out, it's possible that they still managed to get most of the way there and were only a few blocks from the hospital.

And how did they and Noah pick the very same building to explore, at the very same time, twice? It seems like they needed Carol and Daryl to keep meeting Noah somehow, but there was just no explanation for it beyond advancing the plot.
Noah was following them for quite some time before the initial confrontation. You can see him sneaking along in the background in several shots. It's plausible that he saw them in the distance and started following them in the hopes he could eventually get the drop on them. The second confrontation is a bit of a coincidence, sure, but I imagine the chances of him still being within a few blocks are pretty good. They're near the hospital because they want to rescue Beth. He's near the hospital because he wants to rescue Beth. That's really all you need for the possibility of a chance encounter.

Dec 10, 2012
Kajin said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Plot convenience? Because three whole episodes of Daryl and Carol searching for Beth, failing to find any trace, and heading back to the group with nothing to show for it does not an interesting story make? Even if their car stalled out, it's possible that they still managed to get most of the way there and were only a few blocks from the hospital.

Noah was following them for quite some time before the initial confrontation. You can see him sneaking along in the background in several shots. It's plausible that he saw them in the distance and started following them in the hopes he could eventually get the drop on them. The second confrontation is a bit of a coincidence, sure, but I imagine the chances of him still being within a few blocks are pretty good. They're near the hospital because they want to rescue Beth. He's near the hospital because he wants to rescue Beth. That's really all you need for the possibility of a chance encounter.
All right, hard to argue with. It just felt like a stretch to me. Maybe I wasn't paying attention or the episode didn't telegraph very well. Either way, this is still far from the best this show has offered.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but I remain stunned at the dramatic increase in quality this show has demonstrated all season.

Me too, thank goodness!!! :D
Here's hoping they can keep it up, and not stumble near the end...

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I loved the episode, but found it incredibly hard to swallow that anyone would have survived that fall off the bridge.

Even if the "Wait for it" walkers that followed were unintentionally hillarious.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ok... I have to post here. I know this is half a month old but this episode has to be the hardest to believe yet. From the fall off the bridge to Carol just running out into the streets for NO reason after they were already aware that the cops were out there I just can't suspend my disbelief at the silly writing in the episode. After having seen the two episodes that follow this one I am quite satisfied that this wasn't a permanent turn for the worst but holy crap was this particular episode shoddy. Fun though. So I can't complain 100%.