The Walking Dead: Darkest Before The Dawn (of the Dead)

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Walking Dead: Darkest Before The Dawn (of the Dead)

"What Happened and What's Going On" takes The Walking Dead to very bleak places and revisits familiar faces.

Read Full Article

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
While this episode was great and left me crushed, I would have been bugged if he had survived. If Lee doesn't get to make it than that needs to work for no one! I still think Hershel was a group hallucination

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
A main character dies quick and suddenly, and we break the season. We come back for the second half, and another main character dies a slow drawn out death over the course of the episode. Both were the primary voices of optimism among the survivours.
Wow. Just- Okay... Okay.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
I think the important things to look forward to are the W and Wolves hints. I'm thinking a wandering marauder type group. Wolves not far may have been a warning made by one of the victims-or even worse, a type of goading from this group. The fact that the torsos were piled up in that truck can probably be construed as malicious as well. Everyone scavenges at this point-and a truck would be a good opportunity for stashed items.Setting up a trap of biting torsos-all with a W signature (and I believe I didn't see any with lips, though that could have been natural decomposition instead of further mutilation), puts their "stamp" as well as possibly taking out a bit of competition.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Once again, the black character quota has been filled (Noah in, Tyreese out). Seriously, it's a tread in this series.

In saying so it suck that he was killed off right after Beth and danm I thought he lived longer too especially in the comic (I was wrong about that).

Also did Michonne katana break and what's up with that truck filled with heads (yes I know it's some psycho do did it but still)?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Once again, the black character quota has been filled (Noah in, Tyreese out). Seriously, it's a tread in this series.

In saying so it suck that he was killed off right after Beth and danm I thought he lived longer too especially in the comic (I was wrong about that).

Also did Michonne katana break and what's up with that truck filled with heads (yes I know it's some psycho do did it but still)?
Michonne's katana didn't break, but the zombie she was trying to kill had a metal rivet stuck in its neck so it couldn't be decapitated.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
The Hungry Samurai said:
While this episode was great and left me crushed, I would have been bugged if he had survived. If Lee doesn't get to make it than that needs to work for no one! I still think Hershel was a group hallucination
I think Tyreese died because he chose to die. That seemed to be what the whole episode was about.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fanghawk said:
Michonne's katana didn't break, but the zombie she was trying to kill had a metal rivet stuck in its neck so it couldn't be decapitated.
I thought it was a bit of clever gore effects when Rick yanked that piece of rebar out of the walker's back and used it to smash it's skull. It felt humorously cathartic.

Also:
Is it just me, or does it seems like they've finally nailed how to do the shows cinematography right? Some of the shots this episode (and, indeed, even in the season's first half) were fantastic.

I was even impressed with some of the preview shots for the next episode. I particularly liked the over-the-shoulder shot of the wolves facing down Rick and crew. It was but a split-second, yet it felt tense.

darthdenim said:
I think Tyreese died because he chose to die. That seemed to be what the whole episode was about.
That's what the episode was about, primarily. Tyreese coming to terms with who he really was, who he wanted to be, and accepting what the world has become while still realizing even a single life is valuable.

And, more over, I'm partly convinced he let the kid walker bite him. Even as the primary ever-optimistic member of the group, even he was giving in to hopelessness.

All in all, though, a fantastic episode. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Abulurd_H

Jul 31, 2013
Darth Sea Bass said:
I'm thinking i watched a different ep from everyone else. Worst episode ever in my opinion. :/
Nah man, you n me watched the same episode. This episode was absolute garbage.

Weak writing all round. Tyrese death is patheticly handled. Cliched dead people showing up for chats intersperesd with shots of fading daylight. Everybody hates Chris kills the baby zombie with a fucking model airplane to the skull??! are these people fucking serious?

To me it looked like AMC engaged in an outreach program with 1st year students at a local film school. I havn't been this disgusted with lazy writing/plot devices since Loris retarded car crash.

All in all it seemed to me to be a "lets kill the black guy cos we have too many and we will pack it with as many tacky and forced feels as we can" episode

Aboslute shite. Next week better be one hell of a lot better or I think I might be done with this show. No way am i going back to watching season 2 levels of shitty,lazy writing

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I appreciated what they were trying to do, but the main theme that came across to me was how much the characters are echoing the spirit of the show in that they are both getting very tired.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I'm just glad we're finally rid of Tyrese. By God, he just annoyed the shit out of me. Being optimistic is good, trying to be a good person is admirable, but he was getting ridiculous -- several times he wouldn't even kill walkers! I'm no flower expert, but I never knew pansies could grow that big.

Though now I'm getting a little worried. First it was Dale, then Laurie, then Andrea, and then those two little brats. Now it's Tyrese. I mean, the writers can't keep killing all the characters I dislike forever. Aside from Beth and Bob, all the chracters I like are still alive. Now it's only a matter of time before characters I like start getting turned into walker chow.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
First half of this season was probably the best Walking Dead has been, ever. I even didn't really flip out over Bet's death (as in, I was sad about it, but accepted it). So I had high hopes for the second half. Serves me right, this episode was just bad...

Nothing really happened. It was just an elaborate setup to kill off Tyrese, which was just pointless. "Wow, we shocked the audiences by unexpectedly killing off a well liked character at the end of the first half of the season! What can we do to kick off the second half? I KNOW! Let's do it AGAIN! Nobody will expect us to do that!" And it's true, I didn't expect it. Because it was stupid. I hate it when The Stealth Zombie is used as a cheap trick. You know, that one zombie who for some reason ignores the first 10-15 minutes of the characters traipsing around, only to wake up and completely silently saunters over and bites someone (or tries to).

I was really hoping that the first half of the season was an indication that they finally got on track with the writing, but I'm starting to fear that they stumbled across a decent plot by accident and aren't sure what exactly they did right...