The Walking Dead Episodes 1 & 2 Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Walking Dead Episodes 1 & 2 Review

A brilliant evolution of the adventure game.

Read Full Article

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Decisions out of A:save the kitten B:burn the kitten? I am interested.

That was a pretty enthusiastic review Susan. But, I am wondering if it is just better to wait for the final episodes and buy a possible compilation of the series.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
I love this game, as well. I was in pain when I hit the end of episode 2. Just cursed the world that I bought this on a whim before all the episodes were out.

The game has a wonderful story and is the best implementation a conversation system with choices that matter since Alpha Protocol (or maybe Deus Ex:HR). And it isn't a buggy mess like Alpha Protocol either. Win-Win.

I also found that the relationship between Lee and Clementine stands as not only a great example of characters and writing, but as a driving force in the game. I often found myself thinking in tough situations about not only what was best for me (as Lee), but for Clementine. And tried to make decisions that would be a good example for her.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Just out of curiosity, why share the trailer instead of one of your usual video reviews with the written one? Time constraints?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Great to hear a review that doesn't taint my opinion by mentioning Jurassic Park... That one put me off Telltale, and my preconceived notions about point-click Adventures didn't help.

What I've always loved about The Walking Dead (mostly the comics) is that it had a far slower pace than any other zombie story. So much so, in fact, that you often forget that it's a zombie story.

It's a story about people. Struggling with people, struggling against people, struggling for yourself and with yourself... The zombies were, in most cases, background noise. Or maybe just a timer that occasionally reminds you, "Hey. Time to get moving."

Hirumakage

Sep 28, 2009
One of the best games I've played all year and it's not even finished yet. Clementine is one of the best characters of the year. She's brave and helpful, but sometimes she shows her age when it comes for you to make some moral choices. I have feeling, as the game goes on Clem will be a reflection of your actions of the course of the series. The way you act in the game will shape her into a new person. This is just a feeling I get from the events at the end of Episode 2. I could be wrong though.

As to the glitches in the game, Episode 2 had some minor freezes that happened at the worst time possible (and some not so bad times), but they were rare and it never bothered me to the point where I wanted to quit.

Overall, I have to say this game will probably be the most engaging thing that I will play this year and I am banging my head against the wall in anticipation for the next episode.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Dastardly said:
Great to hear a review that doesn't taint my opinion by mentioning Jurassic Park... That one put me off Telltale, and my preconceived notions about point-click Adventures didn't help.
The thing is that Susan's right, and I noticed this as well; it doesn't feel like a point-and-click adventure game. There's no "use the snake to climb up the drainpipe to dislodge the key to open the castle door with". All actions that you actually have to undertake feel veritably human and natural; the kind of stuff that you would do in the same situation, such as breaking open a lock with a fire axe. And there was only one instance across both episodes that I was actually "stuck" and needed a while to figure out how to go ahead. But for the most part it's talking to people anyway, so it's more of an interactive experience than a traditional "game".

Hirumakage said:
One of the best games I've played all year and it's not even finished yet.
This is actually something I'm pretty wary of, because they still have three episodes to potentially mess this up. But if current circumstances are anything to go by, the rest will be fantastic.

Hirumakage said:
Overall, I have to say this game will probably be the most engaging thing that I will play this year and I am banging my head against the wall in anticipation for the next episode.
This is actually probably the most genius thing they've done. By spacing the content out over half a year, this is more like an "event", an actual season so people can get excited about the next episode and talk about their choices and motivations, as opposed to playing through it in one go and being done with it. The fact that I'm now so anxiously looking forward to the next episode proves to me how good this game is.

MrSnaztastic

Apr 3, 2010
Telltale's game engine is still pretty creaky, which is why it's so bloody amazing this game's as good as it is. Kinda weird getting such polar opposite games from the same studio.. Jurassic Park was agonizingly bad whilst Walking Dead is stellar, the only connection being a lack of technical polish that holds TWD back from being perfect.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I like how the highest praise for this game is to not play it but I couldn't agree more. I hated waiting for episode 2 to come out and now I'm hating the wait for episode 3, I just want to play this thing now!

Point-and-clicks are back in a big way with this game. I know they're capable but perhaps Double Fine should take down a few notes.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
MrSnaztastic said:
Telltale's game engine is still pretty creaky, which is why it's so bloody amazing this game's as good as it is. Kinda weird getting such polar opposite games from the same studio.. Jurassic Park was agonizingly bad whilst Walking Dead is stellar, the only connection being a lack of technical polish that holds TWD back from being perfect.
I do wonder what what JP would have been like if they weren't forced to restart from scratch. Ah, well. I'm just glad they cancelled all the preorders when that went down.

The Walking Dead is stellar, though. Not challenging in terms of puzzles, but it sure has some moral conundrums.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Grahav said:
Decisions out of A:save the kitten B:burn the kitten? I am interested.

That was a pretty enthusiastic review Susan. But, I am wondering if it is just better to wait for the final episodes and buy a possible compilation of the series.
You can buy the full lot now, that's what I did. Given that the first two have been great I'd say take a punt!

FedericoV

Apr 17, 2011
Just one question, where's the game? Great story, great voice acting, great cinematics, great setting, great emotional impact. But they forget to put a game in between them. Ok, there's some sort of roleplay but at the end it comes to a very basic form of CYOA with little deviation here and there. The puzzles are very basic and simple.

Basically, it's an interactive movie with very, very, very little gameplay.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
I think its just $5 per episode, so all five episodes will be $25 in total. You can pay the full price to get all the episodes and download them when they're released.

FedericoV

Apr 17, 2011
JDviewer said:
I think its just $5 per episode, so all five episodes will be $25 in total. You can pay the full price to get all the episodes and download them when they're released.
Thanks, I'm officialy an idiot :). I given for granted that the price was for the single episode. I will edit that part of my comment since it's not fair at all :).