The Walking Dead Getting Another Game Adaptation

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The Walking Dead Getting Another Game Adaptation

Find out how the Dixon brothers made it to Atlanta in Activision's upcoming FPS.

There's no shortage of zombie-related video games on the market, and Activision will be adding one more in 2013. The publisher announced that it's working on a first-person shooter based on The Walking Dead TV show. Developed by Terminal Reality, the game will focus on brothers Daryl and Merle Dixon and take place before the events of the television show.

The teaser trailer on the game's website doesn't reveal much, but one could assume it will shed some light on how the brothers make their way to Atlanta, where the show takes place. Activision's action FPS will allow players to use sight, smell, and sound to detect walkers and let them decide whether to use stealth to evade the undead or take them head-on.

This is not to be confused with Telltale's episodic Walking Dead series, which is inspired by Robert Kirkman's comic book. The television show is significantly different from the book on which it's based, so the two games probably won't share many similarities besides being set in Georgia during a zombie apocalypse. Terminal Reality's The Walking Dead will be rising on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC next year, so expect to hear more about it in the coming months.

Source: IGN [http://www.thewalkingdeadbegins.com/]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
In before "it's FPS, gotta be garbage."

I'm actually interested to see what they do with the whole "senses" bit, as well as the style of combat. The Walking Dead has a distinctly different combat methodology than something like Dead Rising: characters in the series are often presented as either being worn down from continuous melee combat or overwhelmed through sheer numbers in ranged combat. There's only two exceptions to this in the comics: hence the reason why it's so badass when they happen.

Adapting a more survivalist mentality to an FPS would be an interesting challenge.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Yeah but we all know that the game is just going to be your regular guns and guts type game where you go Rambo on every-undead-fucking thing that is around.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I really hope this works well, I'd love to play the game but only if it's done well. I've seen so many games that had so much potential but either squandered it or were canceled before their time.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
The world of Walking Dead would not work as a FPS. The whole story is based on desperate survival and more about the people than the zombies. I am fairly sure they will completelly miss the point and even if it turned out to be a good FPS, I doubt it would be a good Walking Dead game. But we will see...

After teaser-edit:
Alright, so It will follow the redneck bros... Good excuse to make shooty-shooty I guess. But I think they will most likelly miss much of the great character interaction and building that make the comic and show so great. Again, I am intriguied, but highly sceptical as of right now.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So finally the legions of Xbox Live preteens will be able to play a protagonist as racist as they are.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
So finally the legions of Xbox Live preteens will be able to play a protagonist as racist as they are.
Aww come on now, Daryl's not THAT racist. Ok, he's a bit of a jerk and prejudiced at the start of the show but he does end up mellowing out in the later season of the show.

Unless of-course you were talking about Merle, then yeah...ok not gonna argue with you on that one.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Infernai said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Aww come on now, Daryl's not THAT racist. Ok, he's a bit of a jerk and prejudiced at the start of the show but he does end up mellowing out in the later season of the show.

Unless of-course you were talking about Merle, then yeah...ok not gonna argue with you on that one.
Yeah I was talking about Merle. Wouldn't dis Daryl, he's one of my favourite characters.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
The FPS part doesn't worry me, it's the Activision part that does. I think I'm going to ignore this one.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I do wonder what Activision will do about those guys being, well, racist. Since this happened before these two met the star of the show (Rick), I´m fairly certain Daryl would be more affected by the thoughts and opinions of his brother.

But I like The Walking Dead. I hope the game will be interesting, especially the stealth/senses-side of fighting.

I guess we`ll wait and see.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
lol Activision? In before the Call of Zombies: Walking Dead jokes.

Seriously though, this has terrible written all over it. At least they picked uninteresting characters to use.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Its a character driven IP, not an zombie action killing driven IP, so I'm VERY skeptic about it being an fps.

Also I'm curious to know how they're going to deal with their racism.

I don't trust Activision with this.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
A game based on the Walking Dead show? Featuring Daryl as a main character?! Awesome! I approve of th...
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
...in Activision's upcoming FPS.
...oh wait, never mind.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
scotth266 said:
In before "it's FPS, gotta be garbage."
Andronicus said:
A game based on the Walking Dead show? Featuring Daryl as a main character?! Awesome! I approve of th...
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
...in Activision's upcoming FPS.
...oh wait, never mind.
And scotth266 is our winner today!

OT: It should be fun as long as we're playing as Daryl, and not Merle. It would take a master story-teller to make us relate to a racist bordering on KKK levels.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Don't you DARE fuck this up Activision. Survival horror, SURVIVAL. HORROR. REMEMBER THAT.

Captcha: Diddly-squat. What they will most likely produce.