The walking dead is boring

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Anybody else think so, and yet so many people say its so awesome. Theres even a show called talking dead about it right after it goes off. It had an okay first season but im already tired of it and zombies as a whole.

Edit: zombies as a whole are boring but if your just using them as plot device rarely and even those moments are more interesting then your characters, then your failing.
You know what characters were actually interesting, those people protecting the geriatrics but we focus on these goalless wanderers(who are really stupid sometimes).
This series utilizes too much put on a bus + idiot ball + forced drama(over natural drama) and even with all that theres still another hour to go.

decaying dead

May 27, 2010
if you're already tired of the theme of a show then of course your going to be bored of the show itself. But walking dead seems to want to be more of a realistic kinda show making it slower so im sure other people are going to be bored of it, it doesn't really go anywhere, but i still think its great. But i gotta agree, talking dead is an absolute waste of time

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
I can understand your reason for thinking the show is boring. It's kind of slow.

But Norman Reedus is a badass. So your argument is invalid.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
decaying dead said:
if you're already tired of the theme of a show then of course your going to be bored of the show itself. But walking dead seems to want to be more of a realistic kinda show making it slower so im sure other people are going to be bored of it, it doesn't really go anywhere, but i still think its great. But i gotta agree, talking dead is an absolute waste of time
I need a show to go at least somewhere otherwise why am i tagging along. To watch sad people, little kids get lost/shot and vague plot device zombies.

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
I do agree in the sense that I find it frustrating that it takes excessively long for simple things to happen, especially in the most recent episode. But it's still a good show, and what's to come will be even better, so I'm going to keep watching.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Walking dead is not a horror show, its a character drama. The zombie apocalypse is a setting not a plot. Its about the interactions between the characters and their struggles, mental as well as physical. The slow pace is the whole point over non stop action.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
serenityzero said:
The Walking Dead is attempting to make the reality of a zombie apocalypse more like what would ACTUALLY happen. People who would run around and gun everything in sight would very quickly find themselves lacking an unchewed face. Just because you can't appreciate that, or that you're tired of zombies as a whole, doesn't reflect on the show. It reflects upon you and your preferences. Also, the show that comes before or after another show is also not a reflection on that show. Awesome dude.
If it was realistic itd be like this.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

but somehow zombies that dont eat each other are plentiful even though they should be barely movable shells of of rotting humans.
They also seem to have good motor control.

I would prefer a show based on zombieland where people are making the best of it in a fun way and the characters werent so sad that I wished theyd get eaten already.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I was highly disappointed with The Walking Dead, didn't do anything new and what it did do was done so slowly I actually feel asleep watching it, never a good sign when watching something. I'd rather just watch 28 Days Later again.

Though I do rewatch things I initially disliked every now and then to see if I was mistaken, so perhaps I should give it another go.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
Blasphemy! In all seriousness, however, I must concede that the show is very slow paced, so if you prefer a more fast paced narrative, it certainly won't be your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
The show is quite slow paced, but they are trying to make it realistic (as realistic as a show about a zombie apocalypse can be). Nevertheless, it wouldn't want to drag on for too many seasons before nicely wrapping it up, or even the fans will get bored of it quite quickly.

decaying dead

May 27, 2010
serenityzero said:
Also, the show that comes before or after another show is also not a reflection on that show. Idiot.
The talking dead is literally a talk show of what just happened on that episode... it is a complete reflection of the show.

Maybe im just a little old-style, i don't need constant action or things dying every 5 seconds to keep my attention. I'm perfectly content with a slow-ish story. I'd rather something move slowly and take a little while to finish than ppl running around shooting everything in sight constantly, blood flying across the screen nonstop and have it end within 3 or 4 episodes. too many things are short nowadays, things need to learn to prolong themselves... at least that's my opinion

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
My eldest daughter loves it. She got me to watch most of the first series with her.

Bored the crap out of me.

Far too slow for my liking. I'm impatient and like things to be happening and long, drawn out stories don't interest me in the slightest.

It's tolerable if it has characters in I like but Walking Dead falls short there aswell.

Don't get me wrong I can see why some people would like it it's just not my thing.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
CODE-D said:
decaying dead said:
I need a show to go at least somewhere otherwise why am i tagging along. To watch sad people, little kids get lost/shot and vague plot device zombies.
Well its got that "character show" based formula that was the reason Stargate Universe got canceled because of the lack of interest from the core Stargate fan-base. The Walking Dead focuses on the struggle of the characters to survive. They already got the main reason of how the zombies came to be, out of the way in the end of season 1 with that CDC scientist bit. The plot is to survive.

It works for The Walking Dead, because it is trying to be a more serious zombie show. It didn't work for SGU, because fans expected to see aliens, a planet, or a some anomaly in space every week, but what they got was more than half the show was people bickering on the ship and soap opera-esk love triangles and a shoehorned lesbian relationship. I'm fine with lesbians, but it fit nowhere in the show.

The Walking Dead also works because we still get to see zombies in every episode. I really like the show, and I'm someone who, like you, has been tired of the whole zombie craze in general. I am rather sick of how so many games these days get a zombie treatment. Need more cash, make some zombie DLC for the game. Though, I don't know what it is about The Walking Dead, but I find it to be fantastic.

aretelio

61.8% Water
May 4, 2011
I thought the first season was super-fantastic and I do agree that the first two episodes of this season were rather slow-paced, but I'm pretty sure the third episode will reward me for putting up with them. I'm sure the season will take off a bit more. This is just early season limbo.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Do you demand for everything you've ever seen to be a Michael Bay movie? The Walking Dead is a drama. If you don't like drama then you should move on.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Syphous said:
Do you demand for everything you've ever seen to be a Michael Bay movie? The Walking Dead is a drama. If you don't like drama then you should move on.
And if you like drama, you should still probably move on.

OT: I agree, the first episode or two were pretty interesting, but it became progressively more boring. None of the characters were explored particularly well (several were killed off in ways in which I assume they thought would make me care, but I didn't because we'd hardly met them), plot points were handled poorly, and things were moved along too fast.

It should make for an interesting character piece, but it doesn't.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
The premise of Walking Dead never appealed to me. It seemed like yet another Dawn of the Dead- styled show and from what i've seen on Youtube, it looks just like that. Maybe its just me, but the zombie genre seems too overdone with weak plotlines and downright bad and uninteresting protagonists. 28 Days Later did it right in my book, but no one else has come close to that benchmark.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Well, you can colour me a fan of it. I always found relationships between human characters to be infinitely more exciting than mindless fighting. The whole reason Zombieland was so enjoyable was because of the dynamic between Tallahassee and...shit...what was the protagonist's name? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Point is, the film would have been dull if it was just two hours of Tallahassee killing zombies.

In a different setting, the new Project Freelancer series of Red vs Blue is so enjoyable for me because the action sequences still reflect the almost-sibling relationships of the various freelancers. Texas would not be so strong a person if she actually fit with the others, rather than operating as a totally independent soldier.

Action scenes are boring solo, unless they're a last stand. Or a solo character doing it to protect the rest of the characters. It's been a while since I saw any of The Walking Dead, but I distinctly remember Rick's buddy...Shane, I think...laying into that fat guy for beating his wife. The build-up and consequences of that scene were worth ten zombie-killing sprees to me. The whole powerlessness of the three women when the big guy started slapping his wife, and then the shame the big guy had when he stayed in his tent for the next few days, refusing to show his smashed-up face to anybody.

Maybe it's because we've all played so many zombie games. Killing in fiction has become as routine to us as dishes have in real life. Shooting shamblers is simply not badass. That's all there is to it.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
El Zorro said:
The premise of Walking Dead never appealed to me. It seemed like yet another Dawn of the Dead- styled show and from what i've seen on Youtube, it looks just like that. Maybe its just me, but the zombie genre seems too overdone with weak plotlines and downright bad and uninteresting protagonists. 28 Days Later did it right in my book, but no one else has come close to that benchmark.
Sorry but dawn of the dead is a horror movie about consumerism, The walking dead is a drama about characterisation and survival
So how are they alike?

poleboy

May 19, 2008
I agree, it's getting boring. All the conflicts in season 2 are just variations of the ones in season 1. Even though they introduced a bunch of new characters, things revolve around the same old conflicts and love/hate relationships established in the first season. Things are moving absolutely nowhere, and it's getting stale.