The Walking Dead: Michonne Gets New Trailer And Voice Actress

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Walking Dead: Michonne Gets New Trailer And Voice Actress

The Walking Dead: Michonne launches in February, and stars Samira Wiley as the zombie apocalypse's sword-wielding badass.

Telltale Games has been on a roll with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161515-Game-of-Thrones-Season-2-Confirmed>Game of Thrones, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138762-Tales-From-the-Borderlands-Release-Date-Revealed>Borderlands, and even <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142433-Minecraft-Story-Mode-Will-Release-October-13>the new Minecraft game. But for many fans, there's no choice-based episodic experience like The Walking Dead. Thankfully, Telltale hasn't forgotten that point, and will finally roll out its Michonne mini-series next year. More importantly, it's revealed who will voice Michonne: Samira Wiley, best known as "Poussey" from Orange Is The New Black.

"We've been hard at work on this very special exploration of The Walking Dead universe that will further bridge together our game series with the canon of Robert Kirkman's comic," CEO of Telltale Games Kevin Bruner said in a statement. "Deeply haunted by the decisions of her past, putting players in the role of a character like Michonne to navigate the broken world around her is an experience that feels uniquely Telltale, and something we simply cannot wait for The Walking Dead fans to play."

The Walking Dead: Michonne takes place during a time jump in the original comic series, when Michonne parted ways with Rick's group. Before deciding to return, the sword-wielding warrior apparently finds herself with another band of survivors. And if this series is anything like the last two, Michonne will face the same heart-wrenching decisions that made Telltale the brand name it is today.

Since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141175-Telltale-Games-Reveals-New-The-Walking-Dead-Michonne-Mini-Series>the series was first revealed, Telltale Games has decided to make The Walking Dead: Michonne a stand-alone game that does not require Season 2 to play. That said, it's only three episodes long, presumably to make room for Game of Thrones seasons, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140574-Marvel-and-Telltale-Partner-Up-For-Adventure-Game-Series>Marvel team-ups, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165297-Telltale-Batman-Series-Revealed>a freaking Batman game. Still, I'm just happy Telltale is returning to Walking Dead, and am curious to see what spin Wiley brings to the role.

The Walking Dead: Michonne launches for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS, and Android in Feb. 2016.

[gallery=5166]

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Alright, but I personally wasn't asking for this. I would like to see the story of Clementine continued.

Even though I do like Michonne and might be interested in this, I can't say I'm terribly excited.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm not liking this starring an established character - it removes any sort of tension she'll be put in. Like, of course they're not going to kill off a character who's present in the comics and TV show.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Aerosteam said:
I'm not liking this starring an established character - it removes any sort of tension she'll be put in. Like, of course they're not going to kill off a character who's present in the comics and TV show.
I suspect the tension won't be about whether Michonne lives or dies - it'll be what happens to her new group. Michonne's always been the hardened survivor, but she's not great about working with others (especially in the comic) so that's likely what the drama will revolve around.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Yeah, while this looks interesting, I want to see the next step in the tale of my bad-ass Clem & Baby. The multiple endings of Season 2 could be worked around if you moved the story at-least a couple of years on and quickly wrote out any characters who can't be there in other endings, reuniting the story strands.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Fdzzaigl said:
Alright, but I personally wasn't asking for this. I would like to see the story of Clementine continued.
I agree, although I'm not sure where Clem's story could go. Season 2's endings are so fractured there's not many ways you could continue them organically, short of a time jump that handwaves the next year or two away.

It would be neat if Clem ends up in one the larger human towns depicted in the comic, maybe even taking part in the All-Out War, although I'm not sure whether Clem and Rick's timelines can line up that way at this point.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
JoJo said:
Yeah, while this looks interesting, I want to see the next step in the tale of my bad-ass Clem & Baby. The multiple endings of Season 2 could be worked around if you moved the story at-least a couple of years on and quickly wrote out any characters who can't be there in other endings, reuniting the story strands.
Yeah, another time-skip would be best if they've really written themselves into a mess.

If they still want to keep the impact, they can make the tone and character of Clementine (at season start) different depending on what choices you made.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Now that's more like it Telltale.

Looking forward to this.

JoJo said:
So... completely negate the various endings in order to squeeze out another direct sequel?

Meh.

I can sympathize with wanting more Clem and I wouldn't exactly be miffed if they gave us more Clem, but they would have known full well when writing those divergent endings that it was hobbling the prospect of continuation, perhaps deliberately so.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Aerosteam said:
I suspect the tension won't be about whether Michonne lives or dies - it'll be what happens to her new group. Michonne's always been the hardened survivor, but she's not great about working with others (especially in the comic) so that's likely what the drama will revolve around.
Video game tension is always better if the player is in danger though. :|

Because of that, I never really liked playing as characters who are huge badasses and are extremely capable (which is why Clem worked for me). I was hoping for either a continuation of Clem's story or another 400 Days thing, so I'll wait for reviews on this.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Aerosteam said:
I don't like playing as an established character but for a different reason...

I play as the character. I've played all of the (modern) Telltale games (although I'm only two episodes into GoT so shhhhhh!) and each one, I generally play as myself because they are my own characters. It's a big reason why I kind of struggled playing Wolf Among Us because I knew he had his own backstory and character; as someone who was not familiar with Bigby previous to Wolf Among Us, I struggled badly in the beginning because I didn't know how Bigby acted.

If I'm playing as Michonne, I'm going to try to play as Michonne and not as tippy2k2. It'll probably help that I am familiar with The Walking Dead comic and TV Show but I'd still rather play as me then as an established character.

NOTE: I'm still almost certainly going to play it so I don't hate when they use established characters; I just personally prefer the insert roles with minimal background like Clementine or House Forrester.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I wholeheartedly am ready to have my whole heart ripped from my chest cavity once more. Hang on...where's Clementine?? I demand Clementine! Not Lenny though, he can bugger off! ;)
No love for The Wolf Among Us any more? Le shames!

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Zhukov said:
Meh.

I can sympathize with wanting more Clem and I wouldn't exactly be miffed if they gave us more Clem, but they would have known full well when writing those divergent endings that it was hobbling the prospect of continuation, perhaps deliberately so.
Honestly, if they've written themselves into a corner so much that they don't have any intention to continue, they should just tell us so.

Personally, I also feel like people are too hung-up about multiple endings, which is what causes this issue in the first place. The ending is important for sure, but I think developers should focus more on the way an ending happens as a means of putting in choice, rather than trying to change completely what actually happens.

Season 1 of The Walking Dead games was the best example of that really.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
... Of all the things to make another series of *cough* The Wolf Among Us* you make another one out of the most boring characters in The Walking Dead. You're killing me Telltale! Just make Marvel, Batman, The Wolf Among Us, and Tales From the Borderlands. Drop literally everything else.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Fan service innit. Still, it's gonna be better than the show itself whose writers are experiencing serious brain damage