The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4, Episode 9 "After"

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4, Episode 9 "After"

The Governor is dead, and the episode focuses on Michonne, Rick and Carl. Oh, and lots of zombies, as usual.

Read Full Article

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Can someone explain to me what the point of such 'recaps' are. I mean, I just watched the episode. I'm not dense, so I was able to understand the episode myself without someone explaining it to me.
Perhaps I am indeed dense for failing to comprehend why this article exists.

One can only assume that it exists for people who are unable to watch the episodes. If they missed the episode I wouldn't think that someone would want to read an article full of spoilers.
So I guess this exists purely for people who don't like watching TV shows and would rather read about them instead.

So, is there anyone here who loves to read about something they have just watched?

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
I would say it's mostly an avenue for an episode discussion thread. And as far as that goes, I feel this show has slowly gotten worse and worse since mid season 3.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Li Mu said:
Can someone explain to me what the point of such 'recaps' are. I mean, I just watched the episode. I'm not dense, so I was able to understand the episode myself without someone explaining it to me.

One can only assume that it exists for people who are unable to watch the episodes. If they missed the episode I wouldn't think that someone would want to read an article full of spoilers.
So I guess this exists purely for people who don't like watching TV shows and would rather read about them instead.

So, is there anyone here who loves to read about something they have just watched?
I would assume that recaps serve primarily as a starting point for conversations about an episode, as well as a refresher for people who may have forgotten some parts, or missed the episode altogether.

Regarding the episode, eh, it's the standard cooldown after a big arc closes. I predict that Rick is gonna go even more crazy before the end.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Li Mu said:

I find it's similar to reading reviews of games you've played. It's interesting to read another person's thoughts on a piece of art, especially if you've already watched it, because then you can agree or disagree with their analysis or maybe get a different insight from your own.

Greg

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Greg Tito said:
I find it's similar to reading reviews of games you've played. It's interesting to read another person's thoughts on a piece of art, especially if you've already watched it, because then you can agree or disagree with their analysis or maybe get a different insight from your own.

Greg
I would agree with you, Greg, if this article actually offered something other than a Cliff Notes synopsis of the episode.
You compare it to a game review and how it's interesting to read the thoughts of another person, but there are no opinions or thoughts on offer here, just a neutral and descriptive account of what happened in the episode.

Don't get me wrong, it's well written and I have nothing against the author, I just don't see it's purpose.
What other people have suggested (that it opens up a discussion) makes a little more sense to me.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Carl needs to die a horrible death, as he sure takes after his mom a lot. Natural selection should have taken care of him a long time ago.

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
Heya all,

I agree I leaned too heavily on recapping and not enough on analysis in this recap. Will shift my focus to more insights and discussions in future recaps.

Dan

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Carl has somehow started to annoy me even more, I didn't think that was possible.

It was an okay episode, I kinda expected more considering Kirkman was writing it. Glad they've started to go into Michonne's character a bit more and her background.

Her katana really should have broken by now though...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Horrible episode, way too much of stupid Carl.
And seriously, no one would believe he'd just shoot Rick in the head like that, so that scene had zero tension.

Like the entire episode; a dull slog. :(

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Carl's a monumental ****.

Not only is he dumb, physically unfit, dim-witted and tactless, he's also arrogant. I feel like the writers may try and chalk it up to a "coming of age" thing, but goddamn is it annoying to watch.

As for Michonne, I like how she now seems incapable of going solo. Not because of a lack of skill / experience, but she has been with people for so long that the loneliness took almost no time to creep back.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Ha! No pudding for the rest of the group indeed.

I read some Carl hate above, but the kid is growing on me. Yes he is rebellious, and yes he pushes his father while also taking risks, but he has become a strong survivor now. He also doesn't flinch much and doesn't just go guns blazing, he is starting to use his head (leading the zombies away, but not being pro enough yet to take them all down without trouble).

So yeah, I am liking Carl. His little quip "I win" reminded me that he is still a kid (still talking once in a while like he is in a video game), but he sure has survived a lot.

One thing that was missed was his turning of the game cables into a knot to lock the door. He argued with his father that it was okay and that it was enough, but his father took the precaution of moving the furniture, and that turned out to be a good idea. He is getting better and stronger, but that also meant he should also listen to his father's survival advice.

That pudding eating sequence was very well done though. The kid lives and rewards himself, celebrating that he survived yet another walker.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I never thought i would say this phrase, but usernames are what they are: I agree with the Elf Defiler. I enjoy Carl, and don't get why people dislike him. But I chalk it up to the general dislike of flawed characters, especially those who are women and.or children (god help those are both).

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I really don't get the hate for Carl he's never bothered me that much. I reserve all my hate for Andrea from season 2 onward.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I thought it was an good episode, good to see some backstory on Michonne. Yeah I did thought Carl was a dick at the first half of the episode (you really can't blame it all on Rick especially when he is still look arsed kicked thanks to the Governor and being a leader is a burden) but again he's a teeanger now hence he's on the rebellious phase (emotionally outburst). Even then he's all talks when it come to it as he barely survived on his own but overall it was a nice turn about once he realise that he still need his dad in his life.
I'm more interested with next week episode now!

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
what happened to the cool-headed competent Carl we had in season 3 & first half of season 4?! Suddenly we've got the moron Carl from season 2 back. I found myself getting very frustrated at all the Rick & Carl arguments in this episode; Rick really needed a reality check, in the condition he was in he wasn't capable of fighting anything and we'd seen that Carl was perfectly capable of handling himself after leaving Herschel's farm (although that seems to have changed for this episode), and Carl knew it, but he could have been less of dick about it.

The Michonne stuff was ok I guess.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Scipio1770 said:
I would say it's mostly an avenue for an episode discussion thread. And as far as that goes, I feel this show has slowly gotten worse and worse since mid season 3.
I would have to disagree. I feel like Season 4 has been their best yet, with the mid-season finale being one of the most heartbreaking and phenomenal episodes out of the entire series. This latest episode was fantastic, as well, with some really good character development for Carl and Michonne. I personally am enjoying the series as its own creature, aside from the comic book, which I also enjoy.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Britishfan said:
what happened to the cool-headed competent Carl we had in season 3 & first half of season 4?! Suddenly we've got the moron Carl from season 2 back. I found myself getting very frustrated at all the Rick & Carl arguments in this episode; Rick really needed a reality check, in the condition he was in he wasn't capable of fighting anything and we'd seen that Carl was perfectly capable of handling himself after leaving Herschel's farm (although that seems to have changed for this episode), and Carl knew it, but he could have been less of dick about it.

The Michonne stuff was ok I guess.
Carl is deep in puberty now. He is a setthing ball of hormones and emotions. While as a society we mostly think about that being Noticing Girls, it also does include extreme mood swings, anger outbursts, and a high propensity to do Stupid Things. My own son is just 13 and already getting into such things. And he doesn't even have a tenth the trauma of Carl.

But they are going to have to address age or something soon. Carl's actor sprouted a /lot/! In the breakin scene, you could see that Carl is almost as big as Rick now. It's getting a lot harder to portray him as a young teen anymore, his actor is really close to adulthood.