The Walking Dead Season 2: No Going Back Review

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I ended up shooting Kenny. At the end of the day Jane was right, the man was a ticking time bomb and if he wasn't set off now then I would hate to image the damage he would have done if he went off later.

I knew that Kenny would get a bit mad but I never thought he would go that far...

Jane had her reasons for lying and at the end of the day she did it for the same reason that Kenny thought he was doing everything - For the safety of the baby.

This was an INCREDIBLE and powerful ending. And now I'll have to go back to my second savefile and actually explore the various endings. There is a chance that Season 3 could actually have multiple beginnings that all have to somehow get back to the same path and if Telltale decide to go down that route then they will have probably their biggest storytelling challenge yet.

I look forward to seeing if and how they go about it.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I'm going to go against orthodoxy here and say I liked season 2 more than season 2. Season 1 was good, don't get me wrong, but it always felt it was written by taking a "worst case scenario: what would you do" questionnaire and crafting scenarios around it, leaving things a bit paragon/renegade.

And 2 weeks ago I might have said something else, but recent, uh, discourse about a certain topic has put this episode in a different perspective. No longer pressed between the pragmatic and the idealistic so much we get a story crafted around dealing with others, and how it can go wrong. Distrust, control issues, anger, emotional instability, or just ego cloud decisions and reduce people quickly to "my way's right and everyone else will screw it all up." I won't name names, personalities or sides, but in a lot of what I've seen lately (or even not lately) lines up with Kenny's irrational anger when what he thinks is questioned, or Jane's more passive "my way or hindrance" judgementalness. In hindsight, the group's lack of connection becomes almost necessary to remind us that despite what TV tells us, not all groups gel and form a tight bond, but at times we still have to work together and think of the group, not ourselves.

Could be why

I have to kill Kenny. I cursed Teltale for making me do it, but he was a problem that even if he didn't get Clem killed, he'd screw up any attempt to find another group. After learning what Jane did on the other hand,I had to get away. She had become no less destructive just because she was calm, ultimately taking an action more vesting in prooving how right she was than in helping Clem. So now Clem's alone. I may have even done her a favor. If there is a season 3 focusing on Clem, they won't keep both voice actors on to do the whole season, so if you stay with a character they probably have the life expectancy of a goldifish in a piranha pool.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Shot the fuck out of Kenny. I tried man, I really did, but he flew off the handles. Sure Jane manipulated him, but Clem didn't know that at the time (though I suspected as much). In the end Kenny had lost it and Jane made a misguided attempt at helping me out. Surely it didn't justify her attempted murder nor did it compel me to leave her. Going it alone would have been suicide and she felt guilty for how it turned out. Hell, she even disarmed herself in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

Sorry, but fuck Kenny. He was Lily all over again and I dropped that ***** the moment she flipped too.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, the second season is finally out? Cool, might check it out. Loved the first one, was really looking forward to this one.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Not reading, too cautious. I just assume this means that the whole game will come out on PS3 so I can rent it now?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I loved that each of the endings wrapped things up in a meaningful way. I picked what could probably be considered the worst possible ending, and I don't regret a thing.

umbr44

Aug 27, 2014
Well...

That was brutal...

I could see the choice between Kenny and Jane coming up and I knew my choice as soon as the option came but it wasn't easy... But Jane took the baby and ran, it's clear she cares about Clem, so she wouldn't have left her if she wasn't genuinely trying to save the baby. So I believed her when she said it was an accident the baby had 'died'; and Kenny had finally snapped. I couldn't let her die, no matter how much I hated having to shoot Kenny... but God did I tear up a bit, especially when he started talking.

Yeah I hated Jane when I found out the truth, but I thought back to Luke (From Clems eyes in an unscripted world) She tried to save Luke how she thought was best, and in her eyes that may have led to his death. Now Jane made a mistake trying to help someone that led to a death. Yes the circumstances may be different, but Jane wasn't trying to get Kenny killed. Although I do think there should have been an option after forgiving her to say something along the lines of "Never forget him Jane"...something to say 'Yes I forgive you, but you still did a terrible thing."

Oh yeah

I also let the family in, I really debated it, and I'm not sure I made the right choice to be honest. But I just couldn't see Clem turning them away...I don't really think Jane (Yes I'm coming up with thoughts for non existent people) really wanted to, or she wouldn't have given Clem the choice.

Plus, I don't know if it was just because he'd been brought up again...but for some verrry strange reason the child reminded me of Duck, could just be the small scared child thing I suppose. But I couldn't turn that away after what I'd just done to Kenny. That sealed the deal.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
I cried like a mother...humper after I was forced to put Kenny down. Jane was less of a loose canon, she had been good to me (Clementine, I mean) and she could learn to associate herself with others. Kenny was simply too broken for that...

I just wonder if I could've saved Luke from drowning in ice cold water.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
In the end, I chose to shoot Kenny. I knew Jane was right and that Kenny was losing it, but it fucking killed me to see him lying there bleeding out... I chose to forgive Jane and go with her though. But only because of AJ. I knew I couldn't raise a child on my own, and Jane ultimately had him in mind, but Jane pushing Kenny off the deep end and forcing me to choose between her and Kenny is going to be something that I don't think I will be able to truly forgive her for for a while.

Also, I think if I were to let Kenny kill Jane and find out that she hid the baby all along to protect him and me from Kenny, I would have lost my shit...

Now, since this season decided to end with multiple endings, I would be willing to bet that season 3 will have multiple stories based on what you chose to do at the end of Season 2.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Yeah this one got me right in the heart really good that I shed a few tears at the end.

It's surprising to have found out that there are multiple endings to this and given the fact that they announced a Season 3 I wonder which of them they will choose or go around to.

Also which of the 3-4 endings did you guys think that it's the canon one?

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Dalrien said:
I cried like a mother...humper after I was forced to put Kenny down. Jane was less of a loose canon, she had been good to me (Clementine, I mean) and she could learn to associate herself with others. Kenny was simply too broken for that...

SPOILERS. SPOILERS.

See the posts above you in the thread? See how they all written by people who have a basic level of courtesy? Emulate them.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
[REDACTED said:
]
Dalrien said:

SPOILERS. SPOILERS.

See the posts above you in the thread? See how they all written by people who have a basic level of courtesy? Emulate them.
Courtesy? What on earth do you speak of? No such thing exists within my soul.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Looking over all the endings I definitely chose the wrong one!

I was so angry at Bonnie when Luke fell in the ice. He kept telling to stay away because the ice would've broken but she kept going anyway and she get's mad at Clem? I wasn't so hurt by her betrayal because I was expecting it after the outburst but Mike's hurt because he never gave any hint of it. In the end I shot Kenny, though it really pained me to do so. He was a danger to everyone including himself and I didn't want him to keep going in pain like that. After it's revealed that Jane didn't kill AJ I was just so angry at her that my Clementine went off on her own. I think I'll replay it though and stick with Jane, I was half expecting her to come after you anyway. That flashback though! That almost had in me in tears. I honestly felt like Clem and just wanted Lee back so I wouldn't have to keep making all these horrible decisions! At least with Lee is was somewhat easy because you just always did what was best for Clem (or I did).

Overall though I liked it even though I didn't feel as emotionally invested with the characters like in season 1. Well worth the wait.

Vahir

Sep 11, 2013
I don't get all the Kenny hate here.

I've been bros with Kenny consistently since S1. Lee and Kenny were bros, and Kenny was like an uncle to Clem in S2. I couldn't bring myself to shoot him, and damn if I wasn't vindicated by the reveal that AJ was still alive. Seriously, Jane was just as unbalanced as he was. I stayed at Wellington and shed manly tears as he left. Kenny is my favorite character in the entire series.

*Sniff*

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I'm really surprised, that
so many people actually believed Jane, that she lost the baby. As soon as she opened her mouth to Clem with cryptic talk after Kenny went out I was like "Oh you little... The baby is alive, isn't it?", although I expected her to spill the beans immediately followed by something along the lines of "Let's run away with AJ. WITHOUT Kenny".

In the end, I shot Kenny. I knew it was coming from miles away, but I never expected it would be in THAT circumstance. Sorry, but I'm not going to idly watch (or turn my head away, that's even worse!) from someone murdering the person I know and care about, just as I was prepared to shoot anyone pulling shit on me and my group. I'm talking of course about Bonnie/Mike/Arvo after they tried to bail out. Sadly, none of them were the people who took the bullet :/.

I liked my ending. I forgave Jane (I knew she was lying all along, and I understood her reasons), as well as let the family in, although I really was scared for a moment, that the hug will turn into a sneaky knife stab or something. I'm interested to see where this is going, especially with those multiple endings. Jane/Kenny probably won't live long enough, but Howe vs Wellington? Those places are far apart, so I expect at least half an episode 1 to steer Clem into a new single direction, after a different starting point.

Also, I suspect that Christa will pull out a "Kenny" in season 3. Her death was never shown on-screen (just like Kenny's in S1), and I think her plot with being pregnant and all was cut away too abruptly, especially since S2 was all about pregnancy, birth and taking care of a little baby anyway.

Can't wait for S3. In the meantime, I guess I'll pass the time with Tales from Borderlands (even though this franchise is completely neutral to me) and Game of Thrones (please don't suck).

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Jesus christ I nearly cried when Clem had her Lee flashback. Most of season 2 wasn't the most appealing to me compared to season 1 (but still better than like 80% of games) but this whole end part after Luke drowned just tore me apart. Mike and Bonnie being dicks and letting Arvo take your stuff, Clem getting shot, Kenny and Jane fighting.

I let Kenny kill Jane and shot him afterwards, now I'm looking at endings where you go with Kenny and he leaves you at Wellington/you walk off into the sunset with him and AJ and I'm feeling sad.

Fuck.
Jesus christ I did cry at that scene. Last time I cried was earlier in this season (an episode or two ago), but I only shed one tear. This time, I shed two tears and let out a whimper. (I don't cry much for others; haven't had such tragedy IRL, though.) I love this season more than the first because the pain, the fear, the hatred, the desperate hope, and the painstaking climax were all stronger. Kenny had the most tragic story arc I ever felt. And Jane, well, I slowly but surely agreed with Jane.

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
The Goat Tsar said:
Okay, so I played through the episode, all good. But then I couldn't see my choices at the end and didn't get any of the achievements. And it also messed up Google Chrome, everything is zoomed in but zooming out doesn't return it to normal. Googling it didn't help at all, can anyone help me out here?
I chose to view the no choices at the end a representation of this episode,
Wherein I felt I had no other choice, I did what I viewed as right and I had no choice in the matter.
To be honest I found it enhanced the experience when reflecting upon the events that just transpired.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Shot Kenny, didn't forgive Jane. Kenny was my favourite character, but he flew off the handle in such a way that there was no other choice. It killed me to do it, but hey, he's with Duck, Katjaa and Sarita now.

Jane used trickery and it killed Kenny (you BASTARD!). Wasn't gonna forgive the catalyst of Kenny's downfall.

God damn, that episode made up for the drudgery of some of season 2. I now don't know which season was best :(

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
I could not shoot Kenny FAST ENOUGH. I've never liked that guy, not since the time he took his son and ran away from me trying to help Herschel's son. He was always acting rashly, never thinking ahead, and always willing to sacrifice/put everyone else in danger for his wife and son. And I STILL think I might've been able to help Larry if Kenny hadn't taken a salt lick to his head. If I'd had the chance to kill Kenny as Lee, I would've taken it.

I also stuck with Jane. Clementine brought out the better side of her, I think she can be redeemed. I also let the family in, despite some misgivings. Not sure how it'll turn out, but we had something resembling the upper hand. I think it's important to give people a chance, right up to the point they go psychotic.

I was sorry to see Luke go. I actually paused the game when his leg broke the ice, just to see if I could save him. I was also part of the (currently) sevenish percent that asked to go with Mike. Should be interesting to see if they do a season 3.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
I'll be honest, I've been a bit disappointed with Season 2. There weren't enough moments to walk around an environment, talk to the characters if you wanted to and ask them questions. Without this quiet time the pacing of each episode suffered, I felt less like I was playing a game and more an interactive movie and the new characters weren't fleshed out properly to so I didn't develop an emotional attachment to them. I think the game expected me to like the characters, even when I had little reason to. This especially goes for Rebecca and Bonnie, despite having the option to dislike Rebecca in the first episode (with good reason) in subsequent episodes I didn't feel like I had that option. As for Bonnie, I didn't really forgive her for the trick in Episode 2 but in the next episode she is being very nice and Clementine isn't given the option to dislike her much.

As for what I did:

I went for the baby to get it out of harms way, I covered Luke because I trusted him to get himself out of that situation if I kept the walkers away from him (like in Episode 2 on the bridge) then Bonnie messed that up. I tried to stop Mike, Bonnie and Arvo from robbing us because I thought it was an awful decision to ditch Kenny and Jane, besides I was going to leave Arvo behind at the house because it would be pretty much impossible to bring him along.

But in the end when it all comes down to the most important decisions, I didn't shoot Kenny. Then I went with him to Wellington and went inside with AJ. Throughout the episode Jane had been warning me about Kenny and his dangerous actions while preparing me for leaving him behind. I wasn't going to do that and came out of each of her conversations thinking, "I think you're wrong to be encouraging me to abandon these people." and her leaving AJ in the car to trick Kenny was awful and manipulative, Jane kept talking about the dangerous things Kenny did (and he did a LOT of them) but didn't help her argument in my eyes by constantly provoking him to do those things to prove a point to me, she was risking a lot to vindicate her opinions and I refused to kill Kenny anyway. But I went inside Wellington because that is what he wanted, because that is what Lee would have wanted (that hallucination/flashback was just beautiful) and because it was best for AJ.