The Walking Dead Season Two: A House Divided Review

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Walking Dead Season Two: A House Divided Review

A less dismal outing, but tense as ever.

Read Full Article

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I gotta disagree with you on this one, Jim. For me, with the exception of the brilliant season 1 finale, this was the best episode in the entire series.

For me, after this episode, "the new crew" is worth way more than the one from the first season, and those few scenes in here
Nick dealing up with shooting Matthew, after my few "nudges" to him in the "right direction" to confess comes to mind especially
made them much more fleshed out than season 1 characters despite having less screen time so far. Don't get me wrong, I liked the old guys as well, and every death was a sad moment for me, but sadness is just one emotion to evoke, while there is much more to this, that actually caught up to me here. Like anger. The only time I was angry at someone in the season 1, was when
Lily shot Carley
mostly because I felt it was so out of place, even for that character and even considering the situation around the event, so I screamed "What the hell did you just do?!".

This time around, I got really pissed off at Carver for killing
Walter
even though the guy screamed "REDSHIRT!" from the very first scene he appeared in. And that's awesome. The guy was an obvious Redshirt from the very start, but yet they managed to characterize him so well in such a short time
again, the case of dead Matthew, and his reaction, both when he found out, AND when he saved Nick from the Walkers
that I really got angry when he died, because the guy really deserved better, but just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time meeting the wrong type of asshole.

After "meh" (they overdid with dramatic/sad scenes in there IMO) start to the second season, now I'm pumped up. I can't wait for the next part, and I can only hope, they won't pull "The Wolf Among Us ep 2" on this one.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Really great episode and all, but I have one issue. It didn't show me my choices at the end. I mean, it showed a blank screen that said "Your choices" at the top. But it was, you know, blank. Then I tried to view them from the main menu, and it only showed choices for episode one.

I realize I shouldn't really care, since the game itself was great, but I'm actually really annoyed right now. I really enjoy seeing how my choices compare with everyone else's. Is it because it just came out today, and there's not enough data yet?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I agree with the others. Season 1 and 2, best episode yet. There was so much quiet tension, I nearly lost it by the end. Not a whole lot of action or tearjerkers, but a lot of drama and really difficult (big and small) decisions. Love it. Can't wait to see where this goes.

But I have to ask...
Was Bonnie there for everyone? I'm trying to build up some speculation where 400 Days fits in all this. My friend got Bonnie too, but she never played 400 Days so her pick may have been a randomized coincidence. I got Bonnie to come with me to the settlement. If Caver's gang really is where that settlement is, then it does get a bit of a darker turn. I originally thought that Tavia's settlement was in Wellington, but it might've been where Carver is and it went to shit or got overthrown. Again, only speculation. Russell was the only one that didn't come with me, so I'm hoping he appears and saves everyone.

Robot Number V said:
Really great episode and all, but I have one issue. It didn't show me my choices at the end. I mean, it showed a blank screen that said "Your choices" at the top. But it was, you know, blank. Then I tried to view them from the main menu, and it only showed choices for episode one.

I realize I shouldn't really care, since the game itself was great, but I'm actually really annoyed right now. I really enjoy seeing how my choices compare with everyone else's. Is it because it just came out today, and there's not enough data yet?
That must be a glitch or something, because I got my choices shown to me. I'm on PS3.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Seriously, holy shit! I didn't even look at the other options and just went straight in.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I was saddened by the
return of Kenny
I never much liked
him.

Given how the events of the 400 days DLC was supposed to factor in to this episode, I am confused by it.

Oh well, now to wait another 2 & 1/2 months for the next episode.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Robot Number V said:

Precisely because of what you wrote in the last sentence. Same thing happened to me with The Wolf Among Us ep 2 on a release day. Few days later, when there was enough data gathered, it appeared all right.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Raggedstar said:
Bonnie is the one character guaranteed to join Tavia's group. Presumably we'll be seeing the effects of that dlc more in the next episode.

This was incredible. The amount of tension they managed to pack into the quietest scenes was amazing. I thought I would be annoyed if they miraculously brought back Kenny, but it turns out that I'm attached enough to the character that I don't even care about the contrivance.

I also appreciated the ample opportunity you have to seriously fuck up in this episode. Makes your decisions carry more weight when there are definitive wrong choices scattered among the genuine dilemmas. Sorry Alvin :(

The confrontation with Walter was another high point. I don't think I exhaled once in that entire conversation.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Robot Number V said:

This happened to me the first time, but it was there when I closed the game and reopened it.

You have the option on the main menu to just view 'my choices', which it can show you, for each episode, the breakdown of your choices and how this compared with everyone else.

Give it a go and see if it is there.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
008Zulu said:
I was saddened by the
return of Kenny
I never much liked
him.
Me as well.
I got along much better with Lilly and was hoping that the returning character would be either Kenny or Lilly depending on whom Lee got along with better. And I was REALLY getting hopeful when the option to actually talk about Lilly appeared after the bridge.

I can remember 3 separate incidents when Kenny left Lee hanging out to dry for the simple reason that I wasn't willing to kill Larry in cold-blood in front of Clementine. Ben screwed up 3 or 4 times too, but, for the most part, he was trying to be helpful; Kenny was just being a hateful jerk throwing a long-standing temper-tantrum that would have ended in Lee's death if he wasn't so resourceful. Interesting to see that Kenny hasn't changed at all, though. He's still the same jerk that cares more about "not giving up" than Alvin's life, and only when someone HE cares about is in danger, *then* he's willing to give up.

I guess it would cost too much money to bring back both Lilly and Kenny

What I really like about this episode is that Telltale kept poking my brain about Clementine's size and having to make smart choices around it. In most video games, including the first season, I'm usually playing as an adult that can handle physical combat, and I'm used to that! It felt so different accepting Luke's plan of killing the smaller zombie, and having to choose to fight with a knife because Clementine's too small to use a rifle. Deliberately choosing the less masculine of 2 choices because the protagonist isn't a powerhouse is a new and interesting experience. In the last episode they made it apparent that Clementine's small size was going to make combat sequences more difficult, but I never had to make choices revolving around it before.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Is it bad that I'm actually expecting Carver to be entirely justified?
Unhinged and dangerous; sure, but the fact that nobody seems willing to talk about why they left kinda makes me think they did something wrong, very wrong.