The Walking Dead Season Two: All That Remains Review

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

<spoiler=More indepth with spoilers>I felt they front-loaded the plot a bit too much with Omid and Christa. Omid dies in the first 10 minutes of the game and Christa disappears in the next 10 and the pregnancy sideplot seems to have been wrapped up off-screen. I liked the segment with the dog, especially the end of it which simultaneously made sense and came out of nowhere. The "stealth" segment was also really well done, although I suspect it really isn't as branching as it appeared to be.

Weird how 400 Days didn't seem to affect anything in this episode. Maybe it will come into play in the future?

<spoiler=Choices>http://i.imgur.com/36DFEzl.png
Saved Nick because I assumed the camera zooming in on Pete's bloody leg signified he was bitten.

The hook for the next episode is "I thought you were dead", which worries the fuck out of me that they're going to follow through on their threat to bring Kenny back. Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.
It could be a variety of characters. It could be the Cannibal family from S1E2. It could be Lily. It could be Glen from S1E1. There's actually a handful of potential characters it COULD be. While Kenny's return might seem entirely too farfetched, I'd be perfectly fine if they gave a valid explanation. I really liked his character (at least in my run when we were super-tight-best-bros) and while I'm fine with him being dead, if they can bring him back into the fold in a way that's sensible, I won't complain.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
As someone who has just run through this game this review is pretty accurate, Tell Tale is off to a good start and I would highly recommend it. Word of warning though: this game does not pull any punches. Season 2 has far shaken me up more in its hour and a half of gameplay than than most of Season 1, or three whole seasons of the TV show for that matter.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
It was certainly good, but I was a little annoyed at some of the Feels direction. A little too frantic to up the stakes from Season One.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Oh man, I had to fetch this as soon as it came out. After having played it, I can say that this game's bark is definitely not worse than its bite. That one particular scene had me in stitches.

Phrozenflame500 said:
Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.
Oh yes, Kenny walking away at a somewhat brisk pace is a real stretch.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Once I finally got around to playing season 1 I was very, very glad I waited for all of the episodes to be released. I will do so again but will most likely buy season 2 the day the final part comes out. Probably do the same with Wolf Among Us.....as well as all the other recently announced Tell Tale Games.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
My feels man. My feels won't be able to take it ;_;

The first episode was exceptional so i would expect this one to be good too. Telltale are masters of storytelling.
I feel the wait between episodes actually makes the experience better. But that's just me.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
BanicRhys said:
Oh man, I had to fetch this as soon as it came out. After having played it, I can say that this game's bark is definitely not worse than its bite. That one particular scene had me in stitches.

Phrozenflame500 said:
Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.
Oh yes, Kenny walking away at a somewhat brisk pace is a real stretch.
Hahaha that pun goes perfectly with the avatar :p

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The story is so brutal that I considered giving up twice. It shows the human condition at its absolute worst, while reminding that there are still good people in its world. Because of that, this episode made me feel hatred more than any other: more than the cold loathing for the meanest character in (Season 1's) Episode 5 and even more than the boiling disliking for the meanest character in Episode 2.

Too many feels. Too many feels. Oh, it's already left a mark on my "heart".

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Man, it is going be tough having to wait for each new episode to come out this time around. One advantage of being a late adopter for season one being that you could just play more or less right after the other.

That scene with the dog is probably the "highlight" of the episode for me. Totally unexpected, I never expected things to turn nasty that quickly. That, and the fate of the poor creature was pretty horrific, I thought. If you left the poor thing to die slowly, you are a horrible, horrible person! In my opinion. After wrapping up the episode, I tuned into an LP of someone's playthrough. They have just got to their meeting with the dog and commented at the end of the video how they like dogs and are dreading anything bad happening to the dog. Are they ever in for a shock then.

As for the people in the house:

It may be mean, but if I get the chance, Pregnant Lady & Sarah's Dad (I forget their names) are currently not my favourites. It was very satisfying to let that woman know I was aware of her little secret regarding her unborn child. As for who it is that is back from the dead in season 2, I'd prefer it to be Lily rather than Kenny (it would make more sense, seeing that we only see her run off, so there is a chance that she might have survived, whereas Kenny....Though I wonder what significance the drawing of Kenny, Katja and Duck has. If I Kenny does come back and I need it at some point, too bad, seeing that I used it for kindling.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
scarab7 said:
Eric the Orange said:
Ima try and hold off buying Season 2 until they are all out 'cause I can't stand the suspense of waiting between chapters.
I'm doing the same but because I'm sick of Telltales release schedule for episodes. It's not the fact they take so long but rather that they keep the release date nebulous as long as possible. I waited patiently with Monkey Island and the first The Walking Dead game but I have The Wolf Among Us and I'm pissed episode two isn't until next year.
I think there's good news for Wolf Among Us fans. Almost two months ago Telltale did an AMA on Reddit and they said they were working on Episode 1 and 2 of the Walking Dead and episode 3 and 4 of the Wolf Among Us. So they might just release the Wolf Among us episodes in Rapid Fire Succession to make up for the wait, which would be cool because I want to play that game. Releasing each episode a month later wouldn't be too implausible in that respect. There was barely a month inbetween episode 4 and 5 of the Walking Dead last season so it seems like something they're doing to get both games done before the summer hits.

Phrozenflame500 said:
Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

<spoiler=More indepth with spoilers>I felt they front-loaded the plot a bit too much with Omid and Christa. Omid dies in the first 10 minutes of the game and Christa disappears in the next 10 and the pregnancy sideplot seems to have been wrapped up off-screen. I liked the segment with the dog, especially the end of it which simultaneously made sense and came out of nowhere. The "stealth" segment was also really well done, although I suspect it really isn't as branching as it appeared to be.

Weird how 400 Days didn't seem to affect anything in this episode. Maybe it will come into play in the future?

<spoiler=Choices>http://i.imgur.com/36DFEzl.png
Saved Nick because I assumed the camera zooming in on Pete's bloody leg signified he was bitten.

The hook for the next episode is "I thought you were dead", which worries the fuck out of me that they're going to follow through on their threat to bring Kenny back. Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.
It's definitely Kenny and it's not too implausible. Both situations he can be in were dangerous but not inescapable.
In the Alley scene he could just break a window while Ben is being zombie chow for the zombies. For the Christa scene he's in a huge open room with a melee weapon, and there's a easy way out of that room either through a window or a doorway allowing him to go down to the streets. Like Lee he would probably be covered with zombie blood so he would blend right in.

Not too implausible.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
No, that wouldn't make sense. In the alley scene, we clearly see zombies lining up on Kenny's back right before he shoots Ben.