The War Z Shambles Back to Life on Steam

surg3n

May 16, 2011
WarZ is just a pain in the ass, and the worst thing is that it actually showed a lot of promise. Really the game is a lot less fun than even Dead Island with multiplayer, it falls way short of being any sort of competition to DayZ.

I went and bought the alpha, but the games I played were just horrible. I played one game, spawned and within 2 minutes a gang of bandits were gunning me down - ran for it and gave them the slip. Walked about 200 yards towards the next disappointing town, and a hacker was waiting. That's not good gameplay, that's not a good gaming experience in my book. In DayZ the bandits make things interesting, it's a different experience with a much wider scope. Usually, a new spawn has the chance to get into the woods or find some decent weapons and get a decent start.

In WarZ, you want a decent weapon - well you better spend some money. Hammerpoint should know that microtransactions have no place whatsoever in a survival game. The zombies are coming, better set up shop and sell some shit that should be available anyway, because a purchase price isn't enough for Hammerpoint. It has to work one of only 2 ways... If I buy a game, I shouldn't have to pay to upgrade my character or buy gear. If the game is free, then I don't mind spending upto the purchase price on microtransactions, like Planetside2.

If Hammerpoint released WarZ for free, then gamers would have a different attitude I'm sure - it might actually bounce back and do well, instead publisher greed got in the way.

The whole respawning delay thing really annoyed me though - they really screwed that up. They took the perma-death of DayZ, asked themselves what gamers want, and decided that the character shouldn't die, they should sit in a queue waiting to respawn again, meanwhile the player takes on another character, and on and on until you end up with 5 characters all over the damn place. The mistake was considering what the gamer would want... well the gamer probably shouldn't be consulted when it comes to perma-death. I mean, why do Hammerpoint think that DayZ is doing so well! - why people take it so seriously, it's because they know that it's better to survive than to start from scratch. In WarZ, your punishment is that you can't play that character for a while - sadly that's not a deterrent to being an asshole to other players.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Baldr said:
Tell me one game that was completely bug-free finished on release? They never claimed that the game 100% done. They misrepresented information about what was in the game and what was coming to the game the first time they went on steam. The only things missing from in-game now is the skill system. The community options and different maps they said were coming also.

They rotoscoped art work for their artwork from The Walking Dead for their website and in-game menus, but they never posted screenshots that were not taken in their engine.
Do you work for these people or something? There is a huge difference between a feature having a bug on release and a feature not existing on release. This game is like me going to the Honda showroom, looking at the nice hybrid car they have, buying it then they deliver a car shell to my house. No engine, no wheels, no glass. This is not a bug. This is not a defect. This is absence.

As for "things that are coming also", no. They said they were in the game. They lied. How can we trust that they are ever going to add those features now?

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Baldr said:
Tell me one game that was completely bug-free finished on release? They never claimed that the game 100% done. They misrepresented information about what was in the game and what was coming to the game the first time they went on steam. The only things missing from in-game now is the skill system. The community options and different maps they said were coming also.

They rotoscoped art work for their artwork from The Walking Dead for their website and in-game menus, but they never posted screenshots that were not taken in their engine.
A bug is when there's a problem with the game like a mission can't be completed or a weapon can't be used. It's not when a game is missing features that it clearly advertised because they hadn't been added yet, that's called false advertising and is illegal. I have a feeling that you probably work for Hammerpoint the way you defend this game.

And how does it make it any better when you say they stole art from better games and series because they "didn't post screenshots not taken with their engine"?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Didn't expect it to be released on steam again, guessing it won't sell that well. Of course, the importent question: Can you still be beaten to death by floating rucksacks, and have to wait 4 hours to respawn?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I like how one of the new 'features' listed is "Unique sound effects" Lol That's like when DVDs first came out an listed "interactive menus" as a special feature

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I like zombie games, but I'll never pay for this. It's the principal of the matter.

They didn't even take the accusations seriously, the way they played it off like the players were wrong or misread information. The screen shots advertising the game weren't even of the game. Not to mention how they banned people who called them out.

The game is crap, and the people involved in it are bad people. They don't deserve our support.

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Pipotchi said:
I like how one of the new 'features' listed is "Unique sound effects" Lol That's like when DVDs first came out an listed "interactive menus" as a special feature
That got a wry smirk from me - spot on. 'Okay guys, we've got all these awesome features. You can play it on a PC, and use a KEYBOARD AND MOUSE! This just got REAL. Damn, you're lucky.'

Laughable.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
PreviouslyPwned said:
Still better than Day Z.
you can't judge warz and dayz by the same standards. dayz is free and still in development. while warz is a released game that costs money.
the moment dayz comes out in a standalone form for money is the day they can be judged by the same standards. for the recorded I have not played either of the games. personally I say they both look like shit but at least dayz has the excuse of being free and still in development(to my knowledge).

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
To those of you saying 'too little, too late' and that gamers won't forgive them. Check steams top sellers list. The War Z is currently number 23. Apparently gamers are quite forgiving. . . and a bit daft.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Really like the premise but will wait for DayZ standalone... and wait for reviews of that first.

Gamers need to start getting much more cautious, cynical and tightfisted with our money, the game industry has become sick and I can feel a crash coming if things don't change... and you know, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Burn away the dead wood.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Hammerpoint and Gearbox can go fuck themselves. They're the industries shill artists and should be treated as such.

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
PreviouslyPwned said:
Still better than Day Z.
Can you expand on your reasoning behind this statement?

Bobic said:
To those of you saying 'too little, too late' and that gamers won't forgive them. Check steams top sellers list. The War Z is currently number 23. Apparently gamers are quite forgiving. . . and a bit daft.
You do have to remember that a lot of the people purchasing this game are likely ignorant of the previous episode and didn't do research in regards to the game itself. On the other hand this particular genre also has such a high demand that people are willing to play just about anything to get a fix. I believe Dean "Rocket" Hall said something along the lines of the demand being so high that people were willing to play an extremely buggy, incomplete mod in order to get their genre fix. All things considered 23rd isn't that high of a concern overall, and you can likely expect more refund requests in the coming days.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Everything Hammerpoint has done reeks of wanting to make a quick buck without putting in the effort, they are on the shit list as opposed to the "meh, not my sort of game" list.

Binkan

Oct 14, 2012
That one person who said you can't put out messages for other to read, you're wrong you can do that, you just have to buy the timecapsules from the store>.> and the game itself is kinda boring atm since the zombies are little more than an hindrence atm it's the hacking that is the problem, ever since Sergey taunted the hackers that the game is 'unhackable' every hacker in the universe and those universes around came to prove him wrong:(

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Stalydan said:
Baldr said:

I have a feeling that you probably work for Hammerpoint the way you defend this game.
That or he's one of the many hackers who make this game their personal playground to torment other users who got conned into buying this mess of a game.
I suppose that there's also the incredibly small chance that he actually likes the game though. I'm betting on one of the other two though.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Baldr said:
Mr.K. said:
They might have fixed some parts of the description but there is still plenty that isn't true, mainly the fact this game is not finished, and on top of that the screenshots are stuff you will never see in this game, at least they removed those that were stolen from other games but a half lie is still a lie.

Combined with the fact they never acknowledged there was any fault on their end I would avoid these guys like the plague.

Not finished does not mean bug free, software as law will never be bug free. Finished is talking about FEATURES that were not in the game that they said were. More to the point, saying something is in the game when it is not, even if you intend to put it in later is false advertising. You can tell the difference from other steam pages where they mention multiplayer(future patch) and such.

You sound exactly like this guy on the steam forum defending FORGE by saying look at the patch notes for reasons people should buy the game now. Wow, they promised things that should of been in game from day one, I guess I should buy the game so that some feature they promised in the uncertain future will be fun to use then. The original store page was a blatant lie as almost nothing on it was there from day one yet it represented itself in a way that said it was.

Your argument is about bugs, but the only equivalent would be if Skyrim (serving as an example of a game with bugs at launch) launched with a list of features (skill system to be specific) and there was no skill system, to be added with a future patch. Do you see the correlation? Why this has created such a big stick? No one else would get away with that and neither should hammerpoint.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Phishfood said:
Do you work for these people or something? There is a huge difference between a feature having a bug on release and a feature not existing on release. This game is like me going to the Honda showroom, looking at the nice hybrid car they have, buying it then they deliver a car shell to my house. No engine, no wheels, no glass. This is not a bug. This is not a defect. This is absence.

As for "things that are coming also", no. They said they were in the game. They lied. How can we trust that they are ever going to add those features now?
Stalydan said:
A bug is when there's a problem with the game like a mission can't be completed or a weapon can't be used. It's not when a game is missing features that it clearly advertised because they hadn't been added yet, that's called false advertising and is illegal. I have a feeling that you probably work for Hammerpoint the way you defend this game.

And how does it make it any better when you say they stole art from better games and series because they "didn't post screenshots not taken with their engine"?

snekadid said:
Not finished does not mean bug free, software as law will never be bug free. Finished is talking about FEATURES that were not in the game that they said were. More to the point, saying something is in the game when it is not, even if you intend to put it in later is false advertising. You can tell the difference from other steam pages where they mention multiplayer(future patch) and such.

You sound exactly like this guy on the steam forum defending FORGE by saying look at the patch notes for reasons people should buy the game now. Wow, they promised things that should of been in game from day one, I guess I should buy the game so that some feature they promised in the uncertain future will be fun to use then. The original store page was a blatant lie as almost nothing on it was there from day one yet it represented itself in a way that said it was.

Your argument is about bugs, but the only equivalent would be if Skyrim (serving as an example of a game with bugs at launch) launched with a list of features (skill system to be specific) and there was no skill system, to be added with a future patch. Do you see the correlation? Why this has created such a big stick? No one else would get away with that and neither should hammerpoint.
First off let me make this clear, I do not work for Hammerpoint(Just look at my profile), nor do I even like the studio... some of their developers are a-holes, and their producer Sergey Titov is the least professional person working in the industry. He called a group of players in the forums "a bunch of faggots". He lied on several occasions about losing the Trademark "The WarZ" to Universal Pictures (for World WarZ). I have express my dislike several times on these forums over the past couple months.

I'm not denying any of stuff they have done wrongly, nor defending them against those travesties they did commit, but there are a bunch of lies out there.

I like the game. I think it brings out better elements of the survival aspect of DayZ without the clunkiness of the Arma engine. I've been playing since they opened up the game to the public, they have added many of the features they said they were going to add.

The part about bugs is not exactly what I meant. People complain about games not being really in a finished state when released, I was just pointing out that Hammerpoint never really said the game was in a finished state when they released it the first time on Steam, unlike so many other companies that do say that when they release a game, but the game seems to be unfinished. That was the only point I was making there.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
doggie015 said:
I am willing to bet $50 that the game is removed from steam again within a week. Does anyone want to take on that bet?
I will take that bet! I don't think it will be removed from Steam again.

It deserves to, but it won't. Oh Hammerpoint...