The War Z Shambles Back to Life on Steam

Prosis

May 5, 2011
Baldr said:
First off let me make this clear, I do not work for Hammerpoint(Just look at my profile), nor do I even like the studio... some of their developers are a-holes, and their producer Sergey Titov is the least professional person working in the industry. He called a group of players in the forums "a bunch of faggots". He lied on several occasions about losing the Trademark "The WarZ" to Universal Pictures (for World WarZ). I have express my dislike several times on these forums over the past couple months.
I'm not denying any of stuff they have done wrongly, nor defending them against those travesties they did commit, but there are a bunch of lies out there.
I like the game. I think it brings out better elements of the survival aspect of DayZ without the clunkiness of the Arma engine. I've been playing since they opened up the game to the public, they have added many of the features they said they were going to add.
The part about bugs is not exactly what I meant. People complain about games not being really in a finished state when released, I was just pointing out that Hammerpoint never really said the game was in a finished state when they released it the first time on Steam, unlike so many other companies that do say that when they release a game, but the game seems to be unfinished. That was the only point I was making there.
"Alright, congratulations on the house you just purchased. Here it is."
"Why is there no plumbing or electricity?"
"Oh, well I never specifically said the house was finished. Just that it was for sale."

It's false advertising. When a game is sold in a store (even online), it is presumed to be finished. If it is not finished, then it will say that it is in beta or alpha. Patching bugs or adding some new features down the line is alright. Even significant changes are ok. But when the majority of the games "features" are not yet in the game, it is false advertising.

As for your comment about Skyrim... Yeah, players were pissed with the number of bugs in Skyrim when it came out. It still has a stupid number of bugs. But the difference is that alongside the bugs, there was a fully playable game there. A game that delivered on what they had advertised. All of their fixes were to correct bugs. The game's content was entirely available from day one.

Also, the screenshots don't come from the game. Quite literally, those screenshots that they use to advertise the game are not from War Z (the game cannot render the number of zombies pictured). If that's not a bait-and-switch, I'm not sure what is.

Coupled with the fact that they got kicked off of Steam for false advertising before, they delete negative comments on their forum, their former banner was stolen artwork from The Walking Dead, and the only change to the game since their remove was correcting the description... I see absolutely no reason to excuse them from their behavior.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Prosis said:
Baldr said:
First off let me make this clear, I do not work for Hammerpoint(Just look at my profile), nor do I even like the studio... some of their developers are a-holes, and their producer Sergey Titov is the least professional person working in the industry. He called a group of players in the forums "a bunch of faggots". He lied on several occasions about losing the Trademark "The WarZ" to Universal Pictures (for World WarZ). I have express my dislike several times on these forums over the past couple months.
I'm not denying any of stuff they have done wrongly, nor defending them against those travesties they did commit, but there are a bunch of lies out there.
I like the game. I think it brings out better elements of the survival aspect of DayZ without the clunkiness of the Arma engine. I've been playing since they opened up the game to the public, they have added many of the features they said they were going to add.
The part about bugs is not exactly what I meant. People complain about games not being really in a finished state when released, I was just pointing out that Hammerpoint never really said the game was in a finished state when they released it the first time on Steam, unlike so many other companies that do say that when they release a game, but the game seems to be unfinished. That was the only point I was making there.
"Alright, congratulations on the house you just purchased. Here it is."
"Why is there no plumbing or electricity?"
"Oh, well I never specifically said the house was finished. Just that it was for sale."

It's false advertising. When a game is sold in a store (even online), it is presumed to be finished. If it is not finished, then it will say that it is in beta or alpha. Patching bugs or adding some new features down the line is alright. Even significant changes are ok. But when the majority of the games "features" are not yet in the game, it is false advertising.

As for your comment about Skyrim... Yeah, players were pissed with the number of bugs in Skyrim when it came out. It still has a stupid number of bugs. But the difference is that alongside the bugs, there was a fully playable game there. A game that delivered on what they had advertised. All of their fixes were to correct bugs. The game's content was entirely available from day one.

Also, the screenshots don't come from the game. Quite literally, those screenshots that they use to advertise the game are not from War Z (the game cannot render the number of zombies pictured). If that's not a bait-and-switch, I'm not sure what is.

Coupled with the fact that they got kicked off of Steam for false advertising before, they delete negative comments on their forum, their former banner was stolen artwork from The Walking Dead, and the only change to the game since their remove was correcting the description... I see absolutely no reason to excuse them from their behavior.
1. I not talking about False advertising, I agree with you on that point, but your not acknowledging my point.

2. I've had over 50+ zombies chase me in the game at one time, there a whole mob near Sleepy Crest that usually has 30+ zombies, not to mention those in that were in the actual town. With other players in the game, it can definitely handle a lot of zombie. I can go get screen shots to back up this if needed. This is the lies I'm talking about.

3. The artwork with the Walking Dead was rotoscoped off of pictures, it not like they went and copied the whole photo. I've said this before.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
Baldr said:
Baldr said:
1. I not talking about False advertising, I agree with you on that point, but your not acknowledging my point.
2. I've had over 50+ zombies chase me in the game at one time, there a whole mob near Sleepy Crest that usually has 30+ zombies, not to mention those in that were in the actual town. With other players in the game, it can definitely handle a lot of zombie. I can go get screen shots to back up this if needed. This is the lies I'm talking about.
3. The artwork with the Walking Dead was rotoscoped off of pictures, it not like they went and copied the whole photo. I've said this before.
1. Your point was that they never actually said the game was complete, unlike other companies, right? My point was that putting the game on sale on Steam implies that the game is complete (or at least is mostly complete), and failure to state that it was not complete was false advertising. Sure, they may have not specifically claimed that the game was complete, which makes them better than some of the absolute worst games that claim completion, but its still intentionally misleading. It implies completion, when it is not complete, which is really no different than claiming completion.

2. I'd like to see this, actually. That photo shows at least 35 zombies, and the various videos I've seen on youtube have never shown more than a dozen. If large hordes are present, then I'm guessing they're uncommon/rare, so I understand if it takes you a day or so to get a few screenshots.

3. Pretty sure rotoscoping is still copyright violation. At the very least, its lazy and unprofessional to use for a video game. Hard to believe that a lot of effort was put into the game when something as simple as the banner was traced and recycled.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
That or he's one of the many hackers who make this game their personal playground to torment other users who got conned into buying this mess of a game.
I suppose that there's also the incredibly small chance that he actually likes the game though. I'm betting on one of the other two though.
Baldr said:
@RedDeadFred, huh. Looks like that incredibly small chance was right.

@Baldr, when a game gets put up on Steam, you'd assume it'd be finished right. Or if it wasn't, the developers would advertise it as "currently in beta" or list which features are currently in the game and what they intend to add at a later date. The game's original description was clearly misleading.