The Week in Review: Demakes and Décolletage

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review: Demakes and Décolletage

In this week's edition, Sony promotes 3D with pretty ladies, and Fallout 3 gets older and more Japanese.

Fallout Goes Retro and Japanese

Bethesda has re-imagined Fallout 3 as an old school, 8-bit JRPG, complete with Japanese text. There are people to talk to and super mutants to fight, not to mention a recreation of the Fallout 3 map that wouldn't look out of place on a NES. It's all incredibly authentic looking, although it's utterly incomprehensible if you don't speak Japanese. Still, not knowing what the heck is going on is no reason not to check it out. (Link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106587-Fallout-3-Gets-the-8-Bit-Demake-Treatment])

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Gabe sometimes says some weird things. I honestly don't really want a console like experience on my PC. My PC runs games much better than any console this gen.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
SL33TBL1ND said:
Gabe sometimes says some weird things. I honestly don't really want a console like experience on my PC. My PC runs games much better than any console this gen.
I can see what you're saying. But I fell in love with consoles specifically because of all the compatibility issues one can run up against. Wrestling with the driver labyrinth for three hours or waiting weeks for patches to come out for your particular hardware before you can play your game are not fun experiences and all elitism aside are things nobody enjoys dealing with.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Ghengis John said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I can see what you're saying. But I fell in love with consoles specifically because of all the compatibility issues one can run up against. Wrestling with the driver labyrinth for three hours or waiting weeks for patches to come out for your particular hardware before you can play your game are not fun experiences and all elitism aside are things nobody enjoys dealing with.
I agree, but if you have the money and keep on the forefront of hardware, you don't run into those problems.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
There is honestly no way intel is going to deliver up something compatible with a dedicated GPU built into their CPUs; at least not anytime in the forseeable future.

I agree that sandybridge is a step up from integrated graphics (it's also odd the escapist reports on this NOW despite sandybridge details being out for months) but it just can't out-do a dedicated graphics card with the current level of chipset technology available. My GTX 580 is about a god damn foot long and there is actually very good reason for that.

With CPU profiles getting smaller and smaller it will require a technological breakthrough to compete. If they can achieve that, I'm completely game. Having a GPU built into your CPU would eliminate bus transfer speeds, have bottlenecking be impossible and cut down on computer costs (presumably). However, overclocking will unfortunately be half-murdered, something I'm sure Intel is happy about.

EDIT: I also think the article is somewhat misleading. Gabe just said it would deliver a "console like experience". He never said this was a good thing. I also don't really understand what he's getting at, because it won't provide a console like experience.

Firstly, Intel already has DIFFERENT graphics cores in different CPUs. These all run at different speeds as well. We're already far and away from the locked hardware of consoles. Secondly, AMD's bulldozer archetecture will do the exact same thing as Intel is doing (dedicated graphics cores), though their entire chip architecture is vastly different. This different architecture will still lead to compatibility issues.

Basically, I have no idea what the hell Gabe is getting at.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Has it been mentioned that Intel's new chip will have DRM built right in to it allowing them to disable your entire computer if they suspect you of having anything that may be less than legal? Just thought it'd be worth knowing.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
008Zulu said:
Has it been mentioned that Intel's new chip will have DRM built right in to it allowing them to disable your entire computer if they suspect you of having anything that may be less than legal? Just thought it'd be worth knowing.
Intel actually says the chip prevent you from copying/reconding streamed content by encrypting the streamed content and not shuting down computers. The rumor of it shut down computer was cause by people thinking it would link to their new anti-theif techology, but that was just what they "thinks". However it remains to see whether Intel is lying or not.

The Intel Insider techology is only used when streaming with some selected websites.
http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/intelinsider.htm

Anyhow the new i7 is already on the market and I have not heard of any computer shut down due to DRM.