The Week in Review

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review

In this weeks' edition, 'gay' stops being a dirty word on Xbox Live, Ubisoft tweaks its DRM, Valve teases Portal 2, a mountain of weirdness goes down at Infinity Ward, and gaming is compared to smoking.

Microsoft Lifts ban on Sexuality

Put down that game! Don't you know it'll turn you into a violent criminal? What's that, you didn't know that? How strange, because according to a gang of Australian psychologists, it's a proven scientific fact that violent videogames make you violent, and that violent games are worse for you than cigarettes. This is just another salvo in the anti-R18+ movenment, and for all it's "conclusive" proof, there aren't a lot of people willing to put their names to it. As a long-term gamer who is yet to commit a violent crime, I'm going to take this one with a couple fistfuls of salt. (link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98745-Report-Effects-of-Gaming-Worse-Than-Smoking-on-Lung-Cancer])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
1 - CoD/Halo community is still gonna sling the word "gay" around as though its still insulting.

2 - Follow the red arrow. They KINDA fixed it...but not enough.

3 - I don't give a shit, until gameplay details leak. Seriously, teasers are BULLSHIT.

4 - Honestly, I just want this all to end. I don't care who wins.

5 - GAMING CAUSES LUNG CANCER?!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
All in all, i would say a good(?) week for gaming. Games ares being annoucned and fixed.. just the developers and govements are butting heads in the meantime.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Uh, Assassin's Creed 2 was released on the 4th. At least, it was here.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It has definetly been a busy week in the news! IW problems and the Value teaser on Portal with Portal 2 been announced.

Its a mixed bag...some really good news...and then the really bad ; ;

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My guess is Microsoft was looking at a whole bunch of lawsuits regarding the ban.

Do Ubisoft think the pirates are really going to buy the game now or even get it patched?

Atkinson will never allow a R18 certification, so the debate as a whole is pointless.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
reg42 said:
Good to hear about the sexuality ban has been lifted.
I doubt that'll affect any of us))).
On a side not, still sobby about the IW situation.
It won't affect me in the slightest, but I'm just all for gay rights and what-not, so this is a good sign.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
For the first topic about the XBL sexuality thing, really i dont see the point??

I dont see what someone could really gain from posting their sexuality on their profile. Im not against it i just dont see the point. Perhaps someone wants to show off who they really are but i dont see how you can really do that in an XBL profile.

Given the anonymity from using XBL all i can see this doing is someone looking at someones profile and seeing "gay" and just send them abuse.

Dont really care that they have allowed this and i dont really see what it brings to your gaming experience.