The Wheel of Time

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wonder how they'll handle most of the women in the books being complete shithouses because Robert Jordan had some sort of serious problem with all women who weren't his mum. And maybe also a few problems with her.
Maybe they can bury it under the "why can't (men/women) be more like (women/men)" bitching that nearly every character does.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Doesn't one of the main characters also get a harem?

Yep, it's awesome! One of em is a princess lol. Mages too, most OP harem ever.

Maybe they can bury it under the "why can't (men/women) be more like (women/men)" bitching that nearly every character does.
I like that running joke about "if you need help, send for me" that keeps being repeated throughout the series.

I feel there is an even amount of jabs both ways so there's nothing bad about such standard orthodox fantasy themes being enjoyed. If anything it'd be different compared to most other types of current works out there.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah that reminds me I thought his axes looked pretty stupid in the trailer as well. I've probably been watching Forged in Fire too much but those short, double bladed axes are really dangerous. If he hits a shield or armour with them the reverse blade is going to come straight back at his face.
Perin's a massive powerhouse with a woodcutter background and magic wolf buffs so he runs the danger of getting his axe stuck in the ground after slicing his armored enemy cleanly in half more than it being deflected back at his face. He basically put all his points in strength from day 1 and just kept being that way moving forward.

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
Saying that there are two different types is charitable. All women swoon over men with varying degrees of acting like they don't.
There's basically 90s ladettes (Min, Brigitte) and Frustrated Mrs Hitler (everyone else).

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
There's basically 90s ladettes (Min, Brigitte) and Frustrated Mrs Hitler (everyone else).
There's a hybrid too a few books into the story, she's like a black widow archetype.

Saying that there are two different types is charitable. All women swoon over men with varying degrees of acting like they don't.
I guess the significant type differentiation comes in HOW they swoon, one way is more palatable to some people and not others.

But more fundamentally, this is an orthodox fantasy about a group of heroic legendary dudes saving the world and getting pussy, that's like, the oldest story in the book, so I see a lot of people treat it like a bad thing or insinuate it can't be good due to that element which is just silly. Also, in the current day, such a tale would actually stand out and be so old school so as to be fresh-feeling again, since so many other stories are decidedly the opposite of that lol.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
But more fundamentally, this is an orthodox fantasy about a group of heroic legendary dudes saving the world and getting pussy, that's like, the oldest story in the book, so I see a lot of people treat it like a bad thing or insinuate it can't be good due to that element which is just silly.
No, it's rubbish because it's derivative, overlong, boring, badly written, and populated with a vast list of characters all of whom are dull and repetitive.

In a sense, in many of its faults it's akin to many fantasy series: it's just that because most of these other series are trilogies that finish in a quarter of the time, they're far less at risk of outstaying their welcome.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I remember starting the first book some years ago. Despite never having read that much fantasy, or books in general, and it supposedly being one of the all-time most influential series in the genre, I still felt like I'd read that story a zillion billion times. As far as I'm concerned, taking artistic license with it is the only way to do it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Every time I see Pike’s face now it’s like she’s secretly planning how to kill me, in the most sick and twisted way imaginable. Or swindle me out of my life savings.