The Wii's life is almost over, what are your concluding thoughts?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Did you like Nintendo's direction? I did at first but the overemphasis on casual games and shovelware soured my opinion of their direction and Nintendo in general.

Can motion controls be the future of gaming? No. Fact of the matter is 'hardcore' games are still in high demand and there's just no way motion controls are going to be suitable for that. Even Nintendo knows this, and it's clear they're trying to get the 'hardcore' market back with the Wii U.

Did the lacking specs affect your opinion of it? No I don't think so.

Despite its setbacks, where the exclusives up to standard? Some of the exclusives are really good but there still isn't enough for me to warrant owning a Wii. Maybe when they become dirt cheap.

Did you own one? Yes, and I got rid of it because I didn't play on it.

Overall, what are your opinions on it? Too gimmicky and I wish this motion control fad would just hurry up and die.

asacatman

Aug 2, 2008
Why are so many people complaining about being 'drowned in shovelware?' You know you don't have to buy it, right? It isn't mandatory to buy every piece of shovelware you see. I hate to break it to you, I'm sure you've been put in to financial ruin already by your compulsive buying of cheap games, I don't want to rub salt into the wound.

Satire aside, I thought the wii was an interesting and profitable experiment that opened up new windows in gaming. But I essentially stopped playing the system and use a PC to play games now. So the experience for the 'core' gamer, whatever that is, was lacking. But they need to stop being so used to being pandered to. Not every person who plays games wants Mass Effect. Some people just want to pass the time and have fun (that's pretty much Mass Effect's job too, it just does it through narrative rather than gameplay, but whatever.)

Esotera

May 5, 2011
That thing had 64Mb of RAM. Computers 10 years old had more than that, so the new specs will be quite welcome.

As for the touchscreen controller, I see it becoming quite a big success amongst the 'casual' market, which is how the marketed the last Wii. So their decision might actually be quite savvy in the long-term, but it's not really up my street.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
MaxiP62 said:
Maybe the new wii wii be able to handle much better games. Maybe the motion controls will be improved enough to make more realistic motions. Maybe they'll bring the motion gloves back. I've seen NASA use those to train astronauts in a documentary made ten years ago, and it seemed better than a lot of the stuff we use in video-games today. This will need to be done, along with video games for older users, If they don't want their next console to fail.

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
Another thing I've thought about with the Wii is that Nintendo have created all these casual gamers, and now the Wii U may bring them into 'hardcore' gaming, thus creating an even larger audience.

Now that the Xbox 360 is starting to go casual (In a way, not trolling, I go on my Xbox more than anything else) I think Nintendo is taking that opportunity to take that space that the Xbox used to have. So that instead of it being Xbox 360 and PS3 getting games, it may be the Wii U and PS3. Obviously it won't be that drastic as they are all similar specs wise, but I think that is what MAY happen.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Wii has some great games, but the most impact it made in the gaming scene and industry was, sadly, the motion control frenzy. This is just like 3D-fascination in the movies and it should die-off when the current generation changes... I'm al about good metroid or zelda-games, but the stupid waving of arms must go!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
The Wii is one of the worst things to ever happen to the gaming industry. It brought an influx of morons and soccer moms and contributed approximately 2 decent games in over 5 years. Motion controls are a gimmick until we get legitimate virtual reality... which is a long ways off. It will likely go down as one of the worst, and ironically the most successful, consoles of all time.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
The GameCube was my favourite console of last gen, so when this was announced, I was quietly interested in it (y'know, back when they were going to call it the Revolution). Then they changed the name to the frankly idiotic Wii and revealed the whole motion control thing and not only did my interest tank, but I decided to call it a day on Nintendo.

The NES was my console back when I was a kid, and I loved the games on it. Kid Icarus, Metroid, even Mario 3 (not Zelda though, I just found it dull), but motion controls I thought were a dumb idea, and still frigging do. And look what it's gotten us. PlayStation Move and the frigging Kinect, which Microsoft are still pouring tons of money and effort into when they should just let it die.

So yeah, I would say good ridance to the Wii, but I cant can I, because soon we're going to have the even more ludicrously named Wii-U (unless - dear god please - they do decide to change that) with its even more moronic controllers.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
neat idea.i guess.
i find it ironic that the most "innovative" Nintendo console in ever has had the most formulaic headliner line up. Mario galaxy and twilight princess were relitivley safe.that is something i have always found weird about Nintendo.there "normal" uninspired functional console(the cube)had the most innovative library of first party games(windwaker and sunshine were massive changes for there series) weras the wii (the most innovative ) had the least inspired first party line up.
it is properly just me being a nit picking dick but it seems that whenever Nintendo spend all there time inventing unique and intriguing consoles the innovation in the actual games suffer and vice versa.
i have enjoyed my fare share of wii games and disliked a good deal more but overall i think the wii has conclusively proved that the most successful console is the lest powerful one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Overall I liked it, and I'm still getting use out of it since xenoblade just came out and its farken awesome.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
There wasn't a single game I played on the Wii that I wouldn't have enjoyed infinitely more using a normal controller. Even when the motion controls worked well, they never created immersion because there was no physical feedback save a tiny vibration and a sound effect.

I'm hoping that this whole motion control fad will wash over soon and we can go back to video games as recreational entertainment and not forced full-body cardio workouts.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I adore my Wii. So many great games in such a wide variety. The Wii opened the doors to new gameplay experiences, which was fantastic. I Think anyone who dismisses the Wii as a 'casual only' affair doesn't actually know anything about the games on it; If they actually had a look at the range of titles they'd see there are more games available than Wii Sports.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wasn't bad, had a good shelf or two of awesome titles, among them some of my favorite titles. Motion controls are interesting at the best of times, but annoyingly inaccurate at the worst of times. Nintendo is a business, and are responsible to shareholders as such, and in drawing in the large crowd that they did means a possibility of increased sales over a larger period of time, so I can't fault them for bringing in new customers. Beyond that, I got to play games with my grandpa, and no matter how many whiney bitches argue about that being the very lowest form of gaming, fuck that, my grandpa is awesome, and playing with him actually brought us closer together. Getting more people into gaming on a casual, twice weekly affair has done a world of good for people who didn't expect to have such fun, and if that means windbags spout the erroneous statement of "it's poisoning hardcore gaming!", then whatever, I can deal with windbags.

Overall, not a bad console, with a couple of golden exclusives, but I won't shy away from better specs and a greater focus on "hardcore gaming", though I hope they try and keep people playing and drawing them in with the new market appeal.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
MaxiP62 said:
Nintendo Wii 2006-2012
The Wii will most likely live past 2012. The Wii U coming out definitely won't kill production of Wii games or make everyone throw away their consoles. Think about how many people own Wiis just now, and think about how many people *won't* rush out and buy a Wii U as soon as possible. Wii Us will be far outnumbered for a LONG time, possibly as long as it's around (the Wii *did* sell very well). Like with the PS2 when the PS3 came out, it'll still be hanging around for at least another few years yet :)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
SHORT VERSION: It was a fad. Nothing more. It didn't contribute much to gaming, and the motion controls were a gimmick that went virtually nowhere.

For every quality title, there were 1000 gimmick titles at the very least.
Most of the 3rd Party Support were shovelware developers, and the first party titles were OK in general. Two Zelda titles, two Metroid titles, two basic Mario titles. Only two of which were remotely memorable.
Even Brawl was a bit of a disappointment.

I felt somewhat cheated of my money with the Wii. But I did enjoy playing all the Gamecube titles I missed (never owned a GC). So as a surrogate Gamecube, it worked out pretty well for me.