The Wishlist: iPhone Video Rig

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
twaddle said:
does anyone know if they have something like this for android phones?
I have a feeling that, if there were, it would be for a more popular phone like the SGS3. I find it tough to discover universal accessories for Android, mostly because each phone is so completely different than the others, it makes it tough for accessory makers to really create something that can make a profit (unless you go full niche, which is rare).

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Ashley Esqueda said:
twaddle said:
I have a feeling that, if there were, it would be for a more popular phone like the SGS3. I find it tough to discover universal accessories for Android, mostly because each phone is so completely different than the others, it makes it tough for accessory makers to really create something that can make a profit (unless you go full niche, which is rare).
HTC phones are pretty popular and all relatively the same size so basically just have an adjustable sliding lens bar on the front and you are golden. Actually that could work on most android phones

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Ashley Esqueda said:
twaddle said:
nvm i found some.
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphotojojo.com%2Fstore%2Fawesomeness%2Fcell-phone-lenses%2F&ei=PAtCUY3SKYen4APlp4DABQ&usg=AFQjCNFTEiFJ8jGTPFdyTyQU4Ky1cX9aeA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmg

now if only i could find a microphone...

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
twaddle said:
Ashley Esqueda said:
twaddle said:
nvm i found some.
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphotojojo.com%2Fstore%2Fawesomeness%2Fcell-phone-lenses%2F&ei=PAtCUY3SKYen4APlp4DABQ&usg=AFQjCNFTEiFJ8jGTPFdyTyQU4Ky1cX9aeA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmg

now if only i could find a microphone...
Some folks have reported using a splitter on the headphone jack to access headphones/mic separately -- using that with a 3.5mm mic might do the trick~

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
That seems like a huge waste of money to me, but I never record videos on my phone. Can also see how something I really want (Razer DeathStalker Ultimate keyboard) would seem like a huge waste of money to other people.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Blair Witch fan videos here I come!

Does it have that little threaded hole in the base for use with traditional tripods?

Also Foo Fighters ftw.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Ashley Esqueda said:
Symbio Joe said:
Or... you could buy a real video camera.
Let me know when you find a "real" video camera for $100.
I thought it was 130$ oh and 169$ if it is an iPhone 4s. It also slipped my mind that Apple gives away iPhones for free. My sarcasm aside, it is a situational gadget can we agree on that?

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Symbio Joe said:
Ashley Esqueda said:
Symbio Joe said:
Let me know when you find a "real" video camera for $100.
I thought it was 130$ oh and 169$ if it is an iPhone 4s. It also slipped my mind that Apple gives away iPhones for free. My sarcasm aside, it is a situational gadget can we agree on that?
Generally speaking, aren't you, as a tech-savvy person, already spending money on a smartphone anyway?

Of course it's a situational gadget. If you have an iPhone, it's really rad. Simple as that. To assume someone without an iPhone would look at this and say, "By golly, I've got to go out and buy an iPhone off contract so I can create sweet, sweet movies with this" is hilarious.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
Symbio Joe said:
The death of video cameras approaches perhaps, it's a shame this gadgets tend to be apple-centric but it's not a bad idea, it seems a little silly buy it's cheaper than most alternatives if you already have the phone. A lot of people I know that shoot video a lot use a the 5D mark II (and I guess the mark III now) so I guess if you've got money to burn it's a good choice although admittedly a lot of people I know are photographers so a nice DSLR is pretty crucial.

Curse my android phone :(

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Great video, however a very niche product that's once again over a sensible budget. That being said the last one of these I saw reviewed left dark circles in the corners of shot where it didn't fit properly, so nice to see some progress there.

The video also prompted me to play around with my Note II's camera, The flash is pretty powerful and the software anti-shake works surprisingly well, however for macro shooting I needed to manually set the focus point, and apply 2 or 4 times zoom while holding the camera further away.

Something I would like more reviews of are gaming peripherals like mouses and keyboards, or maybe an Android TV dongle and very cheap alternative to Apple TV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Android-Internet-Adapter-Watching/dp/B00A8FWITI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363554931&sr=8-1

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-049-SK&groupid=702&catid=23

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
The product described is vastly superior to the tips described below, but not everyone has $200 laying around, here are some low to no cost alternatives:

The easiest way to improve camera stability is to increase the size of the object in a way that changes the center of mass. By attaching a tripod to the phone or by attaching the phone to a 3 ft ($2.00) piece of 2x4 with rubber bands, you can drastically increase camera stability. By attaching the tripod and holding onto the neck near the phone clamp, the center of gravity is 1-3 feet below the point of movement, minimizing unintended shakes. A tripod can also be expensive though, onto the 2x4. The 2x4 works with the simple fact that because in order to move the phone, you need to make larger movements, and these movements need to be intentional. Battery operated lights can even be attached to the board in a similar fashion.

These tips come from a tutorial video shot by FreddiW on Youtube. He is an extremely successful cinematographer and is known for his weekly videogame parodies as well as "Video Game High School" which is currently on netflix.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Here i though finally something that may be useful and then bam 3 times the money its worth.
Then again if you got an iphone you are already willing to spend twice the money for a name.