The Wishlist: Munitio SV Earphones

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
People looking for decent earphones...actually the correct term for these is IEM's (in-ear monitors):
> Etymotic
> Shure
> Sennheiser
> Klipsch
> Ultimate Ears

Buy a product from any of the above companies and you'll be set for a quality audio experience.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Yuuki said:
People looking for decent earphones...actually the correct term for these is IEM's (in-ear monitors):
> Etymotic
> Shure
> Sennheiser
> Klipsch
> Ultimate Ears

Buy a product from any of the above companies and you'll be set for a quality audio experience.

Good selection of brands, but I've never liked that term being applied to consumer equipment. "In ear monitor" is really a pro audio term, used to differentiate the kind that go in your ears from the giant speakers that sit on the floor in front of the musicians/engineers. It's called a "monitor" because they let you monitor the mix live, which is why it doesn't really work when you're just passively receiving a completed recording. This is especially important for the musicians, because in a big enough venue, it's easy to be unable to hear your own amp when it's pointed at the audience and at the proper volume. Stage monitors/IEMs are supposed to let you hear yourself without screwing up the mix, while studio monitors are the things the engineers use to listen as they mix studio recordings. I know audiophiles tend to use the term for the kind of earbuds that go inside your ear, but I find myself consciously avoiding it unless I know the audience is going to know what the heck I'm talking about.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I know audiophiles tend to use the term for the kind of earbuds that go inside your ear, but I find myself consciously avoiding it unless I know the audience is going to know what the heck I'm talking about.
I know plenty of people who use studio monitors for simply listening to music (completed recordings) because they want a neutral/flat and accurate sound, to which they can then apply custom EQ's to tweak it to their liking. Same thing with the more expensive headphones (e.g. Sennheiser HD650), very pricey but designed at providing mind-blowing quality to everyday consumers. You can get low-end budget studio monitors for as little as $100-200.

So I simply applied that logic to In-ear phones (not to be confused with Ear-buds), they go far deeper and can provide a really rich experience with passive noise cancellation to boot. There have to be consumer grade in-ear monitors available, and that's what Etymotic and Shure have been doing for a while now.

This is what I've been rolling with for about ~1.5 years now:
Sennheiser IE7

They're technically classified as "earbuds" but I don't know why considering they go quite deep in : /

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Lessee, my previous "headphones" were a set of earbuds that cost $9.95 and lasted me 3 years before one went out.

My current set (purchased just last week) cost a whopping $14.88 and has a built in microphone.

I think that Ashley's suggested item is a tiny bit out of my price range,

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Lessee, my previous "headphones" were a set of earbuds that cost $9.95 and lasted me 3 years before one went out.

My current set (purchased just last week) cost a whopping $14.88 and has a built in microphone.

I think that Ashley's suggested item is a tiny bit out of my price range,
My headphones cost twice as much as yours!

...It doesn't mean anything, but it sounds impressive in a vacuum.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Does a pair of $130 ear buds make Ashley sound less bored as she delivers the review?

lifeat24fps

Mar 14, 2013
She's clearly wearing a mic, so why are they using ambient audio for this video? Bad audio makes me cry. :"(

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
... $130!? I thought my $30 Razer Moray headphones were a tad on the pricey side. I don't see how these could be much better, especially to justify that price.
Most "gaming" headphones cost 200 and are the same as your 30 dollar razor. that being siad there do are great headphones where the quality of sound is miles beyond, but you have to know what to pick and not jsut follow the shiniest "gaming" rig. sennheisers is a more famous brand for good quality headphones.

LordFish said:
And just like anything the manufacturers will try and bend the rules as much as they can, but when they are all bending the rules the same amount it gives you a yard stick to work to.

Additionally those Sony's have a 13.5mm driver and do indeed kick out some very rich bass, so the 4hz did indeed indicate reality :)
Well, i do have my cheap version of headphones that go for 16-20k and its good enough for voice coms that usually dont go above 64kbps coding anyway.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Finally watched the video (I didn't have a chance before commenting earlier, I was commenting on the comments instead of the video itself.) The description makes it sound like it's not worth $20, let alone $130. If it's all highs and lows (or "boom and sizzle," as the saying goes) it might be impressive when you first hear it, but then over time you'll realize you're missing most of what's on the recording. There's also nothing particularly special about that pair of headphones from what I can see -- it's a random pair of expensive earbuds, no connection to gaming, nothing really geeky there, just your standard over priced audio equipment. Even the little carrying case is pretty standard when you get into that price range. So what's so interesting about this again?

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Yuuki said:
> Etymotic
> Shure
> Sennheiser
> Klipsch
> Ultimate Ears

I own a pair of Logitech UE 900 earphones... but those are $400 (similar in price to Sennheiser, Shure and other audiophile-class earphones), which I knew would cause a price point riot, so I went with the Munitios instead.

For the folks who only spend $20-$30 on IEMs, that's totally understandable these aren't for you. I feel the same way about sunglasses -- I only spend $20 max on em, since I lose/break them all the time, and can't for the life of me grasp why someone would pay $200+ for something they'll probably end up sitting on at some point.

Same concept, you know?

Plus, we just did a WIshlist on the Logitech G930 headset I have, and I don't want everyone screaming "LOGITECH BIAS!!11" at me. Which I KNOW would happen.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
Since I always have my mp3-player with me, I use my earbuds every day. If I learned anything in the last couple of years it's that, if you use them on a daily basis, no pair of headphones, regardless of price, lasts longer than 6 months before the cable right at the plug breaks. This in return tought me never to buy a pair of earbuds that costs more than 20? (around 17$) again. Let alone 130 bucks. Also, I only buy earbuds from Sennheiser and always from the bargain bin (they usually have been considerably more expensive but don't get build anymore and are replaced with newer models), which usually supplies me with good, balanced sound quality for a reasonable price.

This assumingly overpriced junk does look nice, I'll give you that.

Oh, and also, even mp3s in 256kbit/s quality and above don't have very good sound, so it doesn't even make sense to have very good headphones on a mediocre player (like iOS devices) with mp3s where a good portion of sound gets cut out due to compression.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I like to call these earbeads, I have ones that cost less than 2? for 3 months already :D
As for my PC I have 11? full on headphones which do their job perfectly.
This is why I don't watch this show, I'm not a sap for marketing.

brownsmith

Oct 17, 2017
Munitio has been making earphone since 2010, yet I assume I wasn't in a race to survey the primary discharges on the grounds that the earpieces were intended to look like projectile housings. I'm generally doubtful of headphone plans that appear to put such an emphasis on a visual trick, yet Munitio has extended past its initial models, and the Munitio SV is a $129.99 (list) in-trench demonstrate with a basic visual outline and strong sound execution.

Link removed, please don't advertise. -Mod