The Witch and the Hundred Knight Review - 99 Problems but a Witch Ain't One

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Review - 99 Problems but a Witch Ain't One

Unless you are the most ardent NIS fan, you can give this a pass.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Well I have to say, even not being a fan of most NIS offerings, I'm actually enjoying the game so far. Mostly I think I just find the somewhat relaxed difficulty a nice departure from the gauntlet of frustration that has been Lightning Returns and Bravely Default.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
From the description i am reminded of Phantom Brave, otherwise decent game, but i never finished it because i got frustrated by the constant time limits in combat.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What a minute, where's all the Dragon's Crown character-design protesters for this one, raging with self-righteous fury over the fact that the protagonist is damn-near completely naked?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Eh, never been a big NIS fan. I thought this might be a cut above based on the gameplay and trailers, but alas, no. Still, might give it a shot if I can finagle a friend into lending it to me before the inevitable trade-in.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
What a minute, where's all the Dragon's Crown character-design protesters for this one, raging with self-righteous fury over the fact that the protagonist is damn-near completely naked?
It's a JPRG. Those are widely regarded as a lost cause.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Falterfire said:
RJ 17 said:
:p that's the point that I was getting at. They rage over something like Dragon's Crown but not something like this because "Oh, it's Japanese, so that makes it alright because it's just the way they do things".

Methinks this calls for a topic of its own. :3

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Falterfire said:
RJ 17 said:
To be fair, Dragon's Crown is too.

OT: I might check this out, I want to try a new RPG that isn't very grindy, like Bravely Default.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
This is a far better game than the reviewer makes out. I'll find some time in what's left of the week to do the game justice in a user review.

Complaints about Metallica's villainy and violence not being cartoonish and insincere enough to keep an SJW comfortable just make me roll my eyes.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Candidus said:
This is a far better game than the reviewer makes out. I'll find some time in what's left of the week to do the game justice in a user review.

Complaints about Metallica's villainy and violence not being cartoonish and insincere enough to keep an SJW comfortable just make me roll my eyes.
No worries, I'll be rolling my eyes at someone using SJW with a straight face. Besides, who wants to be a boring old sword and board warrior. Can't I at least be a social justice thief or rogue?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Because it's NIS. All of their character designs are like that.

Story said:
Falterfire said:
RJ 17 said:
To be fair, Dragon's Crown is too.

OT: I might check this out, I want to try a new RPG that isn't very grindy, like Bravely Default.
I don't know if Witch and the Hundred Knight follows the pattern, but traditionally NIS games contain phrases like "The most soul crushing grindfest EVER!" (ZHP) in the advertising..

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
That's the kind of feeling that overwhelms me with disgaea. But then again, it just dumps you into the game and tells you to have fun. Those are not my kind of game, I have to say.

And calling disgaea a strategy game feels like a stretch. It's more of a spectacle game than anything else to me, because dem damage numbers. but that's what it is for me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
RJ 17 said:
Because it's NIS. All of their character designs are like that
That's kinda the point that I'm getting at, here...people flipped out over Dragon Crown's character design and yet don't bat an eye when NIS makes Etna appear like a 12 year old prostitute.

Kasual13

Aug 28, 2013
Candidus said:

While I do agree with you that I think game is better than what it is represented as in the review, it's a 4/5 for me at least. But I'm only halfway though the game right now (ch:6) so I'll edit this with more details on my opinion once I've finished.

But to be honest, if you want to exchange opinions with someone of a different opinion, calling someone a "SJW" just makes the argument go off topic and isn't really useful to either side.
Maybe try Going into detail on specific details regarding his review, go point by point on how your view is different to His(her?). and if you still want to use that "SJW" card, How about going into detail about what he said that fits him into that Phrase instead, and NOT go into insults and name calling!

Vauge remarks are the bane of a good argument.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Hmmm, I think I wouldn't mind the story, seeing as I have never been offended by anything in a videogame and "silent protagonist playing second fiddle to someone who is violent, foul mouthed and ill-tempered" sounds exactly like Souls Nomad which was amazing. Actually there seems to be a widespread problem where reviewers saw the NIS logo and went in expecting Disgaea and were upset when they got something more akin to the very dark unpleasant Soul Nomad instead. All that said, the gameplay complaints do sound legitimate so I'll wait for a price drop to pick this one up.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Kopikatsu said:
RJ 17 said:
Because it's NIS. All of their character designs are like that
That's kinda the point that I'm getting at, here...people flipped out over Dragon Crown's character design and yet don't bat an eye when NIS makes Etna appear like a 12 year old prostitute.
It is simple, here in the West there is no social pressure to look like children. In the East there is. As such, this is gross and indecent (which is more of a right wing moral standard anyway) but not overtly problematic in the West when it comes to progressive causes and the position of adult women in society. If you fail to see the difference there then you fundamentally misunderstand why people were whiny about Dragon's Crown.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
RJ 17 said:
Dude, you already made a thread about this already, no need to bring it up again.

nightazday

Apr 5, 2009
So it's basically every Nippon Ichi series ever.
ok buying it.

I just wish it wasn't 2D and that they made it fully sprited like their other titles. One of the best parts about NI games is taking your fanservicy party and spamming several minute long overly stylized attacks until everything in the room is dead.