The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Review

Geralt of Rivia is one badass motherf'er.

Read Full Article

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
*cough*
Greg Tito said:
This review is based on the Xbox 360 version of the game.
How..where... It doesn't even exist!

To add something more relevant to actual review, i agree on the house looting, it just makes me laugh in an odd way, i wish that cRPGs would generally cut a little on the whole looting spree and make obtaining items more logical than "Oh hai, im in ur house browsing through your underwear in search of coins"

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
Really excited about the game, i have it but didn't play it much (to the point where you get out of the siege tower...so kinda 5 mins into the game ;P) because it's fixed to 16:9 ratio so i have black bars on the top and bottom of my screen which is really annoying hope they patch that soon

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I had the same issues with the games, even posted on this forum and got dismissed as rtfml2pconsolescrub

People are unerringly blind to things if they choose to be.

But, cheers for the spoiler in the middle of the video!

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
Oh, I would like to add. "And there are hot naked girls!" to the end of the review...

Yay digital naked girls!

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
its a really good game. The prologue didn't bug me. Fire = bad is obvious(if you played wow or mario).

Its so pretty. I starred at things for a while and my jaw dropped.

And it didn't have you go the same spot over and over like da2

I think maybe once I had to go somewhere twice.

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
I read the whole review, than said to myself without checking the mark: "This is a 7 from a lotr/dragon age fanboy". And than I smiled.

Yes the ui is kinda bad, but the rest of the stuff like "I died there, I died here" is just funny. I can understand Dragon Age 2 dragging ou by the hand with it's pathetic difficulty level, but come on! How lazy can You get?

And You didn't mention so many things in the review, which are good sides of The Witcher 2. Dude, being objective is a must for a reviever, the game is a 9 not a 7.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am enjoying the game but I fully admit that what others consider flaws did not bother me much. Then again I did play the first one so I at least was familiar with the potions and signs already.

I will still say that the Witcher 2 is in many ways a refreshing breeze for gaming and I have no doubt CD Project Red will continue to refine their game making. This is, after all, only their second game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Theotherguy said:
I read the whole review, than said to myself without checking the mark: "This is a 7 from a lotr/dragon age fanboy". And than I smiled.

Yes the ui is kinda bad, but the rest of the stuff like "I died there, I died here" is just funny. I can understand Dragon Age 2 dragging ou by the hand with it's pathetic difficulty level, but come on! How lazy can You get?

And You didn't mention so many things in the review, which are good sides of The Witcher 2. Dude, being objective is a must for a reviever, the game is a 9 not a 7.
For a reviewer, you really can't get any more objective than "I found that core mechanics of the game were poorly designed."

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Baneat said:
I had the same issues with the games, even posted on this forum and got dismissed as rtfml2pconsolescrub

But you basically are doing the same.

I'm blind? No! I just play games that challenging their audience much more than the Witcher 2. The castlevanias games for example (not the last one). You can acuse the developers to make nostalgics choices but call everyone that can play without problem blind?!

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Theotherguy said:

The game is a 'whatever the reviewer thinks it deserves' not a '9 because haters can't stop talking about DA2 every bloody chance they get'

stiffy

Mar 23, 2010
Is this a review of the full game or the first couple of hours? I've heard a lot of reviews talk about the HUGE difficulty curve that flips towards the end. Greg doesn't mention this at all in this review. I'm only at the en of the first chapter, but it seem like he only played a few quests of chapter 1 and filled in the rest. I would think a review this critical would point out the disparity in the ending's difficulty.

I don't believe it has bearing on the accuracy of his review, but a simple "review in progress" indicator might help.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Mangue Surfer said:
Baneat said:

But you basically are doing the same.

I'm blind? No! I just play games that challenging their audience much more than the Witcher 2. The castlevanias games for example (not the last one). You can acuse the developers to make nostalgics choices but call everyone that can play without problem blind?!
I think that comes down to a matter of taste. I enjoy the fact that the Witcher 2 is hard. I fully accept that others might not, however. Both view points are valid for the given person. IE: subjective. Now they could have done a better job with the crafting menus in my opinion. Particularly the unsorted riot of patterns but that certainly did not effect combat.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Well I disagree with most of the stuff in the that review. This game is easily my GotY and on the short list of new games that doesn't tread me like an idiot.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I actually liked searching the map for nests and the likes. I am most likely in the massive minority but putting a big glowing quest marker over everything always annoyed me. What's the point in making me walk 4 miles if your gonna tell me the location? You could have spawned the thing right outside town and it wouldn't have made a difference.

In my eyes a Monster Hunter, which is the definition of a Witcher, has to go and do some actual hunting. Tracking the blood trails, finding the most likely areas, which again are described in books and conversations.

If you read books and talk to people you will know Exactly what equipment to use. I think Cedric blatantly tells you that you need GRAPESHOT bombs to destroy nests and that he is willing to sell you the diagram.

However I agree on the controls. They felt very clunky at the start and only after levelling some skills did the fluidity return. By taking potions away from the player and forcing us to consume them before battle they took away something vital from the first game. Which was to adapt to combat by drinking different potions.

For example you would drink a night vision potion and depending on what else you would encounter in a dark dank cave you would buff yourself accordingly. Having both blocking and magic tied to one bar it can get very confusing seeing how both are pretty much your only ways of breaking blocks, separating groups of enemies or protecting yourself.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
A friend is lending me the game, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I enjoyed the setting and theme of the first, but disliked the gameplay... doesn't seem like much has changed, but it'll be a nice diversion.

Also, doesn't awarding half a star kind of ruin the point of a 5-star system?

Mar 9, 2010
The games looks amazing, but its true I got burned by that frigging dragon at the beginning and died like 13 times because I didn't knew wth to do and the "tutorial" was just a few in game windows that appeared for like 2 seconds before banishing making me check my journal to read what they were trying to tell me. Its like they never play tested the damn thing.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Theotherguy said:

Lol, I find it hilarious how you say that a reviewer must be objective before offering your 'subjective' belief that the game should be objectively rated a 9.

It's an opinion, reviews are always going to be subjective, and everyone is different.