The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Review

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Felix Arturo Macias Ibarra said:
The games looks amazing, but its true I got burned by that frigging dragon at the beginning and died like 13 times because I didn't knew wth to do and the "tutorial" was just a few in game windows that appeared for like 2 seconds before banishing making me check my journal to read what they were trying to tell me. Its like they never play tested the damn thing.

You mean you didnt see the flashing 'push the right mouse button to duck' Key?

I died there 3 times myself but its not hard to left click run right click and run some more.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
maddhatter190 said:
I was playing on Normal and had a lot of trouble at first. This was because I'm used to games at least explaining their combat system. It doesn't have to be mandatory. I would have loved an optional tutorial for players like myself who didn't play the first one.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
bob1052 said:
Just out of curiousity, which choice did you make at the end of Chapter 1?

I didn't experience the wind and I don't recall anyone shouting for another. I sided with Iorveth.
I sided with:
The damaged humans, and the ass hole spy = P. I thought I could do more help while working within the system. A messenger guy shows up before you leave saying that he's a jerk, but he's patriotic. Plus, my game got messed up and I saw that Iorveth immediately says he won't help you find triss after you defeat letho, or something to that affect. I'm trying to break the curse while working with the king. I don't think Iorveth is doing that, he was on the other side of the place where the wind is.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
IamGamer41 said:
Felix Arturo Macias Ibarra said:
The games looks amazing, but its true I got burned by that frigging dragon at the beginning and died like 13 times because I didn't knew wth to do and the "tutorial" was just a few in game windows that appeared for like 2 seconds before banishing making me check my journal to read what they were trying to tell me. Its like they never play tested the damn thing.

You mean you didnt see the flashing 'push the right mouse button to duck' Key?

I died there 3 times myself but its not hard to left click run right click and run some more.
He might have been referring to the part where it's burning the roof above you and you have to fight off all the soldiers as you run to avoid getting burned to death. That was a tough part.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
beastrn said:
Hey reviewer, do you review books? If someone asked you to review a novel from one of the most respected writers, would you say yes? No, no you wouldn't. You wouldn't because you know that your grasp of literature, your experience with books and your understanding of difficult written concepts is weak.

It's the same here. Why are you even reviewing video games? Who are you? You're obvious terrible at them. You obviously don't understand how to press a button a read a journal. You're just a baby raised on golden trails and compasses.

Why are you reviewing games if you're terrible at them?
And here lies the problem. I may not agree with Tito's score here or for Dragon Age 2, but a smart person would not use them as a basis to launch personal attacks for having a different opinion.

So he doesn't like the game as much, get over it. Greg Tito reviews games because he is a game reviewer. I can also be a game reviewer, you want to know why? Because it means giving your opinion on a game. You have no right to throw insults around because he disagrees with you. I don't see anywhere in the review where he attacked you personally, or anyone who enjoys The Witcher 2 for that matter.

Get over it, and good luck hanging around the boards with this kind of attitude.

If all a review is is someone's opinion of a game then Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain, Halo and Starcraft are 1 out of 10.True they some people get hot headed when they see a game they know themselfs as being good get a low score.So if this said reviewer did have trouble with the game he could very well give it a shit score cause of that.I mean wouldn't you cry foul if someone give Batman Arkam Asylum a 2 out of 5?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
As soon as I saw this review was by Greg Tito I thought, "Uh oh, incoming shitstorm of people berating him for giving Dragon Age 2 five stars".

I may not think 5 stars is a fair assessment of DA2, but the kind of elitism used to defend The Witcher 2 against reviews that are actually quite positive (3.5 on a 5 point scale is not a bad game, for christ's sake) is just astonishing. "This game was clearly made for hardcore masochists like myself and that makes it perfect."

Barbara Cartland novels may be designed for bored housewives, but if you're going to use that argument to call them perfect I'm going to have to laugh myself to death.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
rsvp42 said:
maddhatter190 said:
I was playing on Normal and had a lot of trouble at first. This was because I'm used to games at least explaining their combat system. It doesn't have to be mandatory. I would have loved an optional tutorial for players like myself who didn't play the first one.

The combat is totally different in wither 1.Its basically just chain clicking on a target wile switching stances.The Witcher 2s combat was shown off many times in trailers.There is also the manual for the game.Or do people even read those anymore.Even the digital version got one just have to download it.

awesome_ninja

Mar 2, 2011
sravankb said:
Canadish said:
Dragon Age 2 - 5 Stars
The Witcher 2 - 3 1/2 Stars?

Yeah okay, cool story bro.

Mr. Tito is obviously a VERY different kind of gamer then myself.
I find it hilarious when people on this site keep preaching about the meaning of opinions and how they can be subjective, and yet they complain about "unfair" reviews of their favorite games.
DA2 was a POS deal with it... Witcher 2 is superior in MANY ways. You actually have to figure out things yourself, not like most of today's games that are for a wider audience. That said, I can't care less about that review, as it's his own personal opinion, and I respect it. As for me, it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
It's interesting to see how this review panned out and it's even more interesting to see people's responses to this.

I think most of all what this does is make us question the nature of so-called 'professional' (paid, journalistic, critical) reviews. Someone earlier in the thread plugged Jim Sterling and his Jimquisition on reviewer bias. Jim puts forward a convincing argument in that shouldn't be subject to abuse just because his ideas are not in line with metacritic and that his subjective view goes against the 'objective agreement'. The reason i say reviews like this (and indeed, reviewers like Sterling) question the nature of professional reviewing is whether or not such things should be entirely objective or entirely subjective.

Here in this review, Greg gave the game a 3.5 / 5 because it wasn't really his thing, he wasn't comfortable with the combat. But he liked the world and the story. Similarly, Jim Sterling also gave The Witcher a low 6 / 10 because of issues he had with the game. Yet the general consensus from Metacritic and other 'professional' review sites is one of high praise, around the 9 / 10 mark. Because they are in the majority we can assume (rightly or wrongly) that they make up the objective opinion. Does this mean reviewers like Greg Tito and Jim Sterling should be trashed for stating outright that something wasn't their cup of tea, that it's not something they personally enjoy? After all, if they say they don't enjoy it and mark it down severely because of that, it's giving people a false impression that the game won't be fun for everyone - not just the reviewer. However, i can respect the integrity of reviewers like Greg and Jim for stating their opinion and going against the general agreed consensus by saying that they didn't like it and it wasn't for them. However, part of me feels like it is the professional reviewer's responsibility to be as objective as possible and not include any subjective opinion as that is generally all that separates the professionals from the public. Without objectivity professional reviews here will be no different from the user reviews, and at that point i have to question the validity of said professional reviews and whether they are even necessary in the first place and what qualifies them to be regarded as professional.

It's a conundrum and one well worth philosophising over. It might even make for an interesting poll. Just two options and a question asking whether you value subjectivity or objectivity in professionalism.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
IamGamer41 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
beastrn said:
Hey reviewer, do you review books? If someone asked you to review a novel from one of the most respected writers, would you say yes? No, no you wouldn't. You wouldn't because you know that your grasp of literature, your experience with books and your understanding of difficult written concepts is weak.

It's the same here. Why are you even reviewing video games? Who are you? You're obvious terrible at them. You obviously don't understand how to press a button a read a journal. You're just a baby raised on golden trails and compasses.

And here lies the problem. I may not agree with Tito's score here or for Dragon Age 2, but a smart person would not use them as a basis to launch personal attacks for having a different opinion.

So he doesn't like the game as much, get over it. Greg Tito reviews games because he is a game reviewer. I can also be a game reviewer, you want to know why? Because it means giving your opinion on a game. You have no right to throw insults around because he disagrees with you. I don't see anywhere in the review where he attacked you personally, or anyone who enjoys The Witcher 2 for that matter.

Get over it, and good luck hanging around the boards with this kind of attitude.

If all a review is is someone's opinion of a game then Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain, Halo and Starcraft are 1 out of 10.True they some people get hot headed when they see a game they know themselfs as being good get a low score.So if this said reviewer did have trouble with the game he could very well give it a shit score cause of that.I mean wouldn't you cry foul if someone give Batman Arkam Asylum a 2 out of 5?
I honestly wouldn't care if they did. That's their choice, and if they don't want to play a game because they feel it is shit, then more power to them. Am I going to suddenly start attacking you because you don't like Halo while I do? No, because I don't have any more right to tell you what to like than the person I was quoting.

You can disagree without needing to attack somebody's integrity for having a different opinion. If Tito didn't enjoy the gameplay, well there isn't much anyone can do about that but him. That isn't a basis to say he is an ignorant fuckwit who is an idiot for not seeing things the same way.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Right right.that part I pretty much bum rushed to the end.One one thing I didnt like was with all the commotion I didn't here the dialog from the characters.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
beastrn said:
Soviet Heavy said:
beastrn said:

"Here lies the problem"?

Er, no - the problem lies with the fact that this "reviewer" does not know how to seek knowledge or learn how to play a video game. The PROBLEM lies in the fact that this "reviewer" struggled with basic gameplay because he is used to being led around by both hands in everything he has ever played.

This is not "foaming at the mouth defense" - this is pointing out that people that are bad at games have no right to have an opinion on them - especially not on a wide publication. So yes - of course I care. People might actually read this trollop.

This is why gaming cannot move forward. This is why every single game has a radar and a quest arrow and a mini map dot and a golden trail and text telling you what to do and completely immersion breaking UI's and idiotic tutorials - because even people that get PAID to play these games are too fucking sheltered to figure something out on their own.

If you wanted baby-mode-adventure the interactive movie - you should have played on EASY.
He likes Mount and Blade [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/events/summerpicks2010/7828-The-Escapist-Staffs-Summer-Picks-Greg]. That alone invalidates all of your little whining.

Gaming *has* moved forward. I grew up on old-school PC gaming, but a lot of those choices that we've ditched? They actually kind of sucked, looking back at it.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I honestly wouldn't care if they did. That's their choice, and if they don't want to play a game because they feel it is shit, then more power to them. Am I going to suddenly start attacking you because you don't like Halo while I do? No, because I don't have any more right to tell you what to like than the person I was quoting.
Stating you don't like Halo casually on a public forum is vastly different to claiming your opinion is professional and critical.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Gralian said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Stating you don't like Halo casually on a public forum is vastly different to claiming your opinion is professional and critical.
But if I gave reasons for why I didn't enjoy a game, such as a clunky interface or unoptimized controls, would me stating those reasons be met with the same reaction?

If I said that Halo felt too floaty and loose in the controls department, would I still be ignored by merit of me not being a professional critic? This review stated that he had troubles with the interface, and that he did not find the controls intuitive. Yet like the Halo example, it is purely subjective. Whereas some might find the controls just right, others might not feel the same way.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
sta697 said:
[
no the story of da2 is in the sequel also intresting banter isnt intresting characters also the 10 locations in a 40 hour long campaing isnt many
The story is what it is. Because you didn't enjoy it doesn't make it not a story. And actually, interesting banter IS interesting characters. How characters interact with each other is 80% of what makes up their personality. Anyone with a general understanding of writing, acting, or character design knows that.