The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Review

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Don't use Quen to absorb damage, at least not always. It precludes energy regeneration, so you can cast Quen, parry one blow and then sit there with an empty Vigor bar while people kill you. Better use your Vigor on Parrying and dodge the rest of the time. Quen is for times when you can't avoid taking damage any other way, like charging at archers and such.

beastrn

Oct 21, 2007
lithium.jelly said:
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Someone pointed out that it would be out of character for this badass Warmaster to have to go through a "and here's how you block" tutorial, so I was thinking - wouldn't it be cool if you started the game as some sort of neophyte recruit who was being GIVEN a lesson by *the* Geralt himself? That'd preserve Geralt as a wise experienced warrior while still introduce newbies to the game.

And then maybe the recruit gets killed and Geralt takes over, providing the player with an immediate emotional attachment to the game. I think it would have been a cool idea.
Now that sounds like an excellent idea!
I'm a huge fan of The Witcher - both games and Sapkowski's writing - but I do agree at least in part with this review. There should have been better explanation given for some things.
I also have a couple of gripes of my own. Don't think I'm hating on the game, though. I loved it, it's easily one of the best games I've played in recent years. I just think it could have been even better.

Firstly, it's too short. Three chapters, with the third chapter being considerably shorter than the first two? I would have liked it to be at least five chapters, all of them at least as long as the first. Maybe CDPR will address this with expansions, as long as they're done better than the "bonus missions" from the first game's Enhanced Edition.

Second, I wasn't all that keen on the storyline. (Although I haven't finished chapter three yet, so I don't know how things will end up with Yennefer, Triss and the Wild Hunt.) I don't like seeing Geralt get so mixed up in politics. I'd rather a game where he traveled from town to town doing witcher's work. Kill some spriggans that have moved into an abandoned mineshaft, investigate the disappearance of local fishermen at night and eliminate the drowners that turn out to be responsible. Perhaps a village suffers from some supernatural manifestation like the Barghests in the first game and you need to investigate firstly what is happening, then why it's happening, followed by who might be responsible and if they're even aware of it before even starting to figure out what to do about it. Maybe this needs some kind of twist so it doesn't get boring, but I'd rather play Geralt being a witcher than him getting involved in the follies of monarchs. Some investigative work could be really interesting if implemented right. I thought the first game had a much better overall plot, with the exception of chapter five's fighting in Vizima.

Third, and most important to my own enjoyment, I thought the alchemy had been far too simplified. I know it's not really a big part of the original lore but I thought it worked very well in the first game, and I miss that. There are no longer secondary effects possible and you don't have to find alcohol of various purities to use as a potion base. You can't just experiment to come up with potions you may not have researched yet and you can't just drink unidentified potions to see what they do. Potions and the associated toxicity also last far too short a time. I would have preferred to see alchemy made much more complex for the second game, rather than simplifying it as it was.
MGS Peace Walker does this

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Good grief is there some serious fanboy crying here. Seriously guys, a review isn't a personal insult against those who like the game. You don't have to be so up on arms to defend the product that you bought just because someone else didn't enjoy it as much. I've been playing Witcher 2 for a couple days now and am genuinely enjoying myself, but that doesn't mean that I should get all riled up when someone else isn't enjoying it as much. It's their loss, not mine.

And could you please, please shut the frack up about DA2 already.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sounds delicious. Reviews are aimed at wide audiences, so they can't be relied upon to judge game diffuculty. One just has to keep that in mind.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Haha fanboy whining is delicious! *licks screen*

Well it's nice for the reviewer to give his honest opinion and not feel intimidated or obliged to give this game an automatic 9/10. I still haven't played the game so I don't know how much I agree with him.

beastrn

Oct 21, 2007
sravankb said:
beastrn said:
hahaha at all the people using the word "fanboy"

Nice to see stupid people exist on the internet even when all the knowledge of the human race is at their fingertips. Doomed to be peasants, I suppose.
Dude, stop while you can. These sort of posts will get you banned.

Also, yes - if you get so defensive over someone else's opinion of your favorite game, then you will be called one; there really isn't another word for it.
1: Do you even read your own posts? You're posting far worse than I am, bud.

2: No, you're wrong. People defending a game that has been unfairly judged does not mean they are a "fanboy". I defend a great many games from uneducated people. Am I a fanboy of each of those individual games? Obviously not.

If you truly must label people discrediting this review as a fanboy it would be a "fanboy of logic and integrity"

3: My post is clearly ironic. Look at all the idiots here saying "lol at the fanboys lol" without any basis. I can't do the same? Herp?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
There is no time between pressing a button and witcher blocking. It just happens that blocks use up Vigor, and if you're out of it, well, axe or mace goes straight to your face.

Also, map is not in Cyrlic, but some fictional language. And you're not meant to even try reading it - just a decoration.

beastrn

Oct 21, 2007
sravankb said:
beastrn said:
I've said this once, and I'll say it again. This review was his opinion of the game, not an "unfair judgement". You're not gonna change his view, and you're not gonna change the view of people who dislike it. Especially with that attitude. And please stop painting yourself as some sort of defender of logic and integrity. It sounds really odd.

Plus, you're a brand new user; not even close to being a regular on the site. You cannot seriously expect me to detect "irony" in each of your posts. Sarcasm/ironic statements do not come across well over the internet.

Most of all, you may wanna calm down, dude. Trust me, people aren't gonna pay too much attention to your posts on this site if you keep insulting someone or the other each time.
You don't need to repeat yourself - it has already been explained to you why you're wrong. You should read those posts again.

So what if it is an opinion? Do I care? Is that the point? It's an UNEDUCATED opinion. It's a FLAWED opinion. That's the issue. Do I go out and have an "opinion" on thousand year old artifacts? No, of course I don't. I haven't studied history nor have I a strong background in artifact analysis. If I went to a museum and said "guys, guys - this pot here actually is pretty dumb. Actually I don't like it. That's my opinion, ok?" I would probably be banned from the premises.

So.. sure, you're right. It's just his opinion. The fact is, though, that it's an uneducated opinion.

FYI - arguing with me on this point makes you an escapist fanboy, according to you.

beastrn

Oct 21, 2007
Thanks, Calibretto. Appreciate it.

Just a final addition to what I'm saying; sravankb, and others who are saying "it's just an opinion who cares why post" and whatever - I would agree with you if this website was called wwWeAreAllNoobsWhoAreBadAtGames.com.

Unfortunately, this is theescapist - a once fairly well respected internet publication that also gets to display it's judgments on METACRITIC. Do you know that The Witcher 2 was brought below 90/100 because of this review? So because of this uneducated opinion, because of this reviewers incompetency and inability to learn something for himself, the developers get to show their stock holders and dependants a below 90/100 game when clearly it is not.

Surely even illogical internet people can understand why that is worthy of being discussed.

There wouldn't even be an issue if the reviewer could muster anything other than "I thought the game was too hard but I didn't just set it on Easy" - but he doesn't.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
redemption92 said:
but its so gooooooooooooooooooood
Basically this.

I found the combat to be engaging enough to not be dull, but simple enough to still be an action-rpg (combat-wise). If its to difficult, play on an easier setting or simply run away more...

The game is an absolute gem, with some of the best dialogue in any game, ever. Its beautiful, with the rivertown Flotsam as the high point (for me at least) and has the first episode of elegant sensuality in a game I have seen (the scene with Geralt and Triss waking up in the prologue).

While its not a perfect game by any definition the flaws are so minor and far between that they have absolutely no impact on me. I'm faaaaaar too busy enjoying the fantastic game. Easily a 10 for me, and probably GOTY as well. The only possible contender being Arkham City. And even that will probably be a lesser game.

beastrn said:
There wouldn't even be an issue if the reviewer could muster anything other than "I thought the game was too hard but I didn't just set it on Easy" - but he doesn't.
Good point, I've been wondering about this too. And the reviewer is not the only one making this mistake.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
beastrn said:
You keep bringing that up, but it doesn't fix the issue. He said it was unfairly hard because it was unintuitive because of menus, lack of tutorials, and a delay before casting spells. Turning the difficultly down fixes none of those issues, and those issues would be concerns for some people so its worth mentioning.

beastrn

Oct 21, 2007
You're right, drisky - I should have added "and press J to read the Journal (or read the manual)".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
beastrn said:
sravankb said:
beastrn said:
I've said this once, and I'll say it again. This review was his opinion of the game, not an "unfair judgement". You're not gonna change his view, and you're not gonna change the view of people who dislike it. Especially with that attitude. And please stop painting yourself as some sort of defender of logic and integrity. It sounds really odd.

Plus, you're a brand new user; not even close to being a regular on the site. You cannot seriously expect me to detect "irony" in each of your posts. Sarcasm/ironic statements do not come across well over the internet.

Most of all, you may wanna calm down, dude. Trust me, people aren't gonna pay too much attention to your posts on this site if you keep insulting someone or the other each time.
You don't need to repeat yourself - it has already been explained to you why you're wrong. You should read those posts again.

So what if it is an opinion? Do I care? Is that the point? It's an UNEDUCATED opinion. It's a FLAWED opinion. That's the issue. Do I go out and have an "opinion" on thousand year old artifacts? No, of course I don't. I haven't studied history nor have I a strong background in artifact analysis. If I went to a museum and said "guys, guys - this pot here actually is pretty dumb. Actually I don't like it. That's my opinion, ok?" I would probably be banned from the premises.

So.. sure, you're right. It's just his opinion. The fact is, though, that it's an uneducated opinion.

FYI - arguing with me on this point makes you an escapist fanboy, according to you.
I know Greg fairly well, and I know he's been playing PC RPGs and DMing tabletop RPGs for literally decades now. So to suggest that he doesn't know what he's talking about on that front is patently ludicrous.