The Witcher 2 Sexed Down for Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Witcher 2 Sexed Down for Australia

The Australian version of The Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Collectors-Pc/dp/B004CQRCF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304616422&sr=8-2] will have a couple of "small changes" made in order to squeeze it into the country's MA15+ videogame rating.

Age ratings for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are out and it will come as no surprise at all to anyone familiar with the original game [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Enhanced-Pc/dp/B001AH8YSW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304616422&sr=8-3] that it's "mature" across the board: M (Mature 17+) in North America, 16+ in Germany and 18 in the U.K. and the rest of Europe. In Australia, however, it's rated MA15+, which is the country's highest rating but not quite high enough to get it out unscathed.

"In order to obtain the rating in Australia, CD Projekt RED was unexpectedly obliged to make small changes to game content relating to the topic of sex as a reward," the studio revealed in an email. "Since these changes are quite minor, especially relative to the total amount of content, they are unlikely to significantly affect the overall play experience."

And to be fair, the changes actually do appear to be very small. The quests are still in the game, but Australian Geralt will have to choose a more tangible payoff for completing them. Witcher 2 Project Lead Adam Badowski said the studio was "disappointed" about having to make the cuts but that removing sex as a quest payoff was the only way to get the game onto the Australian market.

Sadly, we can't point and laugh too loudly at Australian censorship this time around. The North American version of the original Witcher was censored too, coming to market without the infamous "boob cards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/3015-Boob-Cards-An-Adult-Perspective]" that commemorated Geralt's conquests.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Political correctness at its worst, I hate it with a fiery passion.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
jpoon said:
More like a bad rating system. Forcing games to go 15+ or bust without a true MA rating is a terrible system.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
jpoon said:
More like a bad rating system. Forcing games to go 15+ or bust without a true MA rating is a terrible system.
Either way, it's extremely stupid that adults are punished for the stupidity and stubborness of another countries government.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Funny thing though, Australia did get the "Boob Cards" in the original Witcher. And I seem to remember quite a lot of sex as a quest payoff in the original. Seems to be a slightly inconsistent censorship going on...

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
What is this I hear about sexing down?! :O

That's sexing it in the wrong direction! Turn that sexing around nao! :mad:

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
Meanwhile in Russia:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Triss_Merigold_in_a_nude_calendar_in_Russia (NSFW)

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
They really need to get off their asses and add that 18+ rating everybody but a few select people are all in favor for.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Ooh well this is a good thing, I don't believe the Australians have ever heard of sex. Thank goodness for the government getting involved and sorting out other people's parenting for them. /sarcasm

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
jpoon said:
Also a bit of prudish-ness. Why can't they just come out with a new adult rating? OH WAIT, THEY'VE BEEN TRYING! I think. Why the hell can't they just make one already? Seriously?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ausir said:
Meanwhile in Russia:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Triss_Merigold_in_a_nude_calendar_in_Russia (NSFW)
-sips green tea-

... I'll be in my bunk.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Question:

Why was it censored here in the US?

The WORST thing that would have happened would it have been AO, (but I doubt it), but that wouldn't have mattered, it was PC only, right?

As PC is the only platform that isn't self regulated, being AO wouldn't have had a huge impact.

Also, HOW THE HELL DID DANTE'S INFERNO NOT GET BANNED IS AUSTRALIA?

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
I thought there was recently an article published that said the game would be uncensored globally?

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Its good to know that Michael Atkinson's "ancient, black, dried up little heart still strives to keep him alive through the searing waves of hatred that are broadcast at him from all over the nation and the world every second of every day. Well done, you miserable old fuck."---Yahtzee

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, thank goodness for that.

It's such a relief to know that someone is protecting the nation from rampant breasts.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Guess they really need that 18+ rating so all this censorship nonsense can come to an end.

...not that much have presumably been lost. I barely noticed the cards in the first one, although, to be fair, since it had one-click combat and wasn't Diablo - the only game template where one-click combat works - I didn't get very far in it either.

Suppose there's always digital distribution unless that's illegal too.