The Witcher 3: GotY Edition Steam vs GOG

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I wanted to get this on GOG, but Steam's Winter Sale is going on and only $20 there vs $50 on GOG.

Are there any notable differences?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Probably not, but thats kinda because CD Projekt is that much the good guy that they want all their fans to get the same thing.

Also worth noting though, with GoG Connect, if you buy it on Steam they will probably eventually give it to you on GoG free anyways. I have Witcher 1 and 2 on GoG cause I had them on Steam already. (Havent bought Witcher 3 anywhere yet though)

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I don't think there is a significant difference. You just missed the GOG sale while the Steam sale is still running.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Steam:
Con: (if you can even call it that)
The steam version has steam as DRM where's GOG is DRM free on principle.
But that being said. Steam on its own as DRM, is as laid back as DRM's get.(and ineffective)
And if you have an account already there is no real downside.

pro:
Cloud saving, copy your save game to a steam server.
have a backup of your saved game or play your own saved game on a different pc when logged in your account.

GOG:
cons and pros are basically the lack of both.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Get GOG because its DRM Free.
Uh, that's not how Steam works. If a game doesn't have it's own DRM, there's nothing to stop you playing it while offline.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh, that's not how Steam works. If a game doesn't have it's own DRM, there's nothing to stop you playing it while offline.
The game is still ultimately tied to your Steam account. With GOG, I have downloaded the installer and it is mine, all mine, I can install it on whatever computers I like and play whenever I want and I don't have to remember my password or anything. If GOG somehow goes bankrupt, I can still play the game I pad for.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Steam but only because I like having all my games in one convenient centralized location. GoG is obviously the better option of the two with no DRM at all but that's assuming you have a choice between the two. There are a whole ton of games that aren't on GoG, so it's kind of a moot point.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I prefer GOG as a platform, but if it's on sale on Steam, go for it there. It's the same game, either way. And sometimes GOG will let you use GOG Connect to get free copies of your Steam games on their site.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
09philj said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Not necessarily true. Steam/Valve don't like to give the you impunity of no DRM when they apply their steamworks features. That said, I'm not going to re-buy..or even just buy TW3 to test it out.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'd go with GOG. No DRM.
You can always wait until they have (another) sale or drive for it.
Patience is a virtue, DRM is a sin.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
The other thing is GOG seems to always give way more extras -

https://i.imgur.com/uIn9YXc.jpg
If you look at the Steam Store pages for the base game and the expansions you'll notice you get a ton of extras with them too, all of which you'll get if you buy the GOTY. I haven't made a checklist or anything but it seems to be roughly the same amount of stuff, probably exactly the same stuff.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Saelune said:
Probably not, but thats kinda because CD Projekt is that much the good guy that they want all their fans to get the same thing.

Also worth noting though, with GoG Connect, if you buy it on Steam they will probably eventually give it to you on GoG free anyways. I have Witcher 1 and 2 on GoG cause I had them on Steam already. (Havent bought Witcher 3 anywhere yet though)

That sounds cool. Apparently all the extras on GOG are in a folder through Steam too.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
If you buy it on GOG, all the money goes towards CD Project, instead of valve taking their 25% cut.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Go for the one that has the cheapest price for the game you want.

Even GoG isn't as innocent as it used to be. Use their optional Galaxy client to install a game and the shortcut it creates will launch Galaxy before the game, giving you that little nudge toward their store.

None of the distribution services give a damn about you beyond your wallet. Steam have their sales, EA their exclusives, GoG DRM free, all just excuses to try and get you to favour them over the competition.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
votemarvel said:
Go for the one that has the cheapest price for the game you want.

Even GoG isn't as innocent as it used to be. Use their optional Galaxy client to install a game and the shortcut it creates will launch Galaxy before the game, giving you that little nudge toward their store.

None of the distribution services give a damn about you beyond your wallet. Steam have their sales, EA their exclusives, GoG DRM free, all just excuses to try and get you to favour them over the competition.
You can choose to download the classic installer that does not come with GOG Galaxy...

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Samtemdo8 said:
You can choose to download the classic installer that does not come with GOG Galaxy...
Not through the client you can't but stopping it from starting with the game is as simple as creating a new shortcut pointing to the games executable. And of course you can, as pointed out, download the installers for your games from the website.

I pointed out the actions of GoG Galaxy as it is a fairly new thing for it to be doing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
votemarvel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Not through the client you can't but stopping it from starting with the game is as simple as creating a new shortcut pointing to the games executable. And of course you can, as pointed out, download the installers for your games from the website.

I pointed out the actions of GoG Galaxy as it is a fairly new thing for it to be doing.
I mostly get GOG Games from the web browser and through their still supported GOG Downloader.

I check to make sure I download the classic installers with no Galaxy built in.

TZO2K12

Mar 31, 2012
Gog>>>>Steam

Gog, you can install it anywhere and at any time once you download the files, from either at home or from public wifi if you lose your connection...Plus galaxy has cloud saving as well, and if you have a problem running the game/bugs you get actual responses from 100% real humans and not bots running on algorithms.

Steam, you can only install it from home, and it mandates random updates whether you want them or not, also; like the majority of games on steam, you have to verify the integrity in order to download the bits that need to function with steam's program, as most micro-updates are needed in order to work in conjunction with steam...

Not only that, but you need to have steam running in order to play most of your games, I'm not sure about the witcher series as I bought them all on gog, because the only reason why I buy any game from steam is because it's not offered on gog, and unfortunately, too many devs/publishers use that wretched platform already...