The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Reveals Debut Gameplay Trailer (Again)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Reveals Debut Gameplay Trailer (Again)

Six months after the Nilfgaardian invasion, things aren't looking too good for the Northern Kingdoms.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: This is not the best trailer I've ever seen. Not by a long shot. Which is kind of sad in a way, because I can't think of any game I'm looking forward to more than The Witcher 3, but it shows very little that we haven't already seen and the "gameplay" consists entirely of following Geralt around as he walks, rides and sails through various environs. It's pretty, to be sure, but not terribly exciting.

On the other hand, how much more excited can we get? It's The Witcher, after all, and in case you've forgotten, Wild Hunt is "the last part of the legend," a pretty big thing for one of the most epic RPG franchises of all time. And it's not as if the fan base isn't already locked into it; you could post a four-second blurb of some guy with a Polish accent yelling "Witcher 3 2014 Wooo!" and most of them would sit up and applaud. (I know I would.)

One other point of note: It has been clarified by those in the know that this is not the trailer that will be revealed during the VGX awards, so you'll still have to watch that if you want to see what they've got up their sleeves. Or, you know, wait until the next day.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt comes out in 2014 for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

UPDATE: As many of you have pointed out, this is not actually new: The trailer debuted back in June during E3. Sony did release it today on the PlayStation YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhqY9j9oCc] as the "debut gameplay trailer," however, with its branding added and all others removed, and that, coupled with the fact that I somehow missed it the first time around, led to the mixup. Apologies for the confusion - but since it's The Witcher, and there may be others who missed it the first time around, I'm going to leave it here anyway.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Wait, what was the point of that trailer?

There was nothing new in it aside from the voice over.

Was this made for the PS4 dashboard thing or whatever?(Judging by that PS logo in the thumbnail)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I don't think this trailer is actually new, I swear I've seen it before. Anyway, yeah, the trailer could have been way better.

GeterianMarsus

Jun 19, 2013
Ah yes, another "gameplay" trailer that's comprised of 90% footage we've seen in other trailers, and maybe 8 seconds of the actual game. Why does this even exist? the only thing in it that's new (as far as I know, i haven't watched too many other trailers) is the narration, which is just a bunch of vague Hollywoodesc BS that tells us nothing about the game.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
GeterianMarsus said:
Ah yes, another "gameplay" trailer that's comprised of 90% footage we've seen in other trailers
This isn't really a gameplay trailer. Escapist goofed. It's just the E3 trailer. Not even the voice-over is new.

Nothing to see here! Back to your tents guys!

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Candidus said:
GeterianMarsus said:
Ah yes, another "gameplay" trailer that's comprised of 90% footage we've seen in other trailers
This isn't really a gameplay trailer. Escapist goofed. It's just the E3 trailer. Not even the voice-over is new.

Nothing to see here! Back to your tents guys!
Only thing that's new is that it has appeared on the Playstation page. Maybe that's why everyone thinks it's new?

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
This game should be an interesting test of the new consoles. It looks like it will not be released on the old consoles, so its developement hasn't been hampered by that. They tend to go almost overboard with the PC graphics settings.

I wonder if either console will hit 1080p. This is a big open outdoor world, so seeing how draw-distance and pop-in are different should be interesting. How much AA, etc. Wikipedia says that they calim "no loading screens", so that would be impressive on a console. I found reviews mentioning long loading times kind of dissapointing in other games.

Either way though, I can't wait for this come out (so that I can start waiting for mid-20s price tag cause I'm super-cheap and own way too many games).

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
"Age Old Witcher 3 Trailer is put on Playstation page" should be the actual title.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
50 bucks says you bang the mermaids. Or they turn out to be succubi literally feasting off the flesh of men.

Also since when does Geralt fight for those he holds dear? He's basically a hitman for hire when it comes to monsters and the only reason he was doing what he was in Witcher 2 was because he was hired as a bodyguard.

Coin pretty much motivates Geralt 90% of the time. The other 10% is common sense, camaraderie and information about his memories.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yup, it's a goof: As I explained in the update, Sony posted the trailer on its YouTube channel today as the "debut gameplay trailer," which is what led to the mixup. (I must have missed it the first time around, because it's not ringing any bells for me.)

Anyway, for the benefit of others who may have missed it, I'm leaving it up, but you can stop telling me it's a mistake now. :)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
1337mokro said:
50 bucks says you bang the mermaids. Or they turn out to be succubi literally feasting off the flesh of men.

Also since when does Geralt fight for those he holds dear? He's basically a hitman for hire when it comes to monsters and the only reason he was doing what he was in Witcher 2 was because he was hired as a bodyguard.

Coin pretty much motivates Geralt 90% of the time. The other 10% is common sense, camaraderie and information about his memories.
... here, have my 50 bucks already.

The motivation wasn't even the only thing weirding me out; it's in competition with him suddenly going blonde, changing his voice, changing his body language, riding his horse like it's a motorbike (seriously, horses don't take corners leaning over like that), and a couple of other details.

Oh, and that outfit he wears when confronted by the guard makes him look like a slightly overdressed medieval stripper. Just sayin'.

(I'm actually kind of hyped for this game)

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Kargathia said:
1337mokro said:

... here, have my 50 bucks already.

The motivation wasn't even the only thing weirding me out; it's in competition with him suddenly going blonde, changing his voice, changing his body language, riding his horse like it's a motorbike (seriously, horses don't take corners leaning over like that), and a couple of other details.

Oh, and that outfit he wears when confronted by the guard makes him look like a slightly overdressed medieval stripper. Just sayin'.

(I'm actually kind of hyped for this game)
Yeah the leather boob armour as I am now going to call it looks weird, first I thought it was a female character model wearing "mature" armour. Nope... it's just Geralt wearing the most .... erotic? ... armour in the game.

He still has the white hair. I don't think they are going to change the iconic appearance, they'd have riots back in Poland. The mannerisms and voice I attribute to age. Dude looks a good 10-20 years older than the last game.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
The horse animation looks amazing. One thing I didn't like Skyrim is boring horse animations.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
it's not a new trailer. It's an old trailer re-released to show the Playstation logo. I assume it's the version for the Playstation Store.

Can't see what's wrong with that.

1337mokro said:

Geralt is actually a big old softie. The central theme of the books was how he couldn't stay neutral the way Witchers should and fought for what he believed to be right. That's actually one of the main draws of the Witcher series - a world depicted in shades of grey with no clear morality (aside for a few truly horrible characters that is) with the main character who perceives it as black and white.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
1337mokro said:
If I remember my Witcher lore correctly, banging is unlikely, but they're not monsters either.

He does this since... Almost forever. The first story established him as a hardened mercenary not above sacrificing human lives to facilitate his job, but pretty much all of the later ones has it as a theme that Geralt should be an emotionless killing machine, and usually pretends that he is, but he's almost entirely driven by fighting for his loved ones and close friends. Hell, the saga is entirely built around his quest to rescue a girl he loves.

In general, he kills monsters for coin and humans for those he holds dear.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This game will melt my graphics card and I can't wait for it to do so.

Man I'm so hyped for this game it's unreal. Really hope to see a new trailer coming out of the VGX's.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
RyQ_TMC said:
1337mokro said:
If I remember my Witcher lore correctly, banging is unlikely, but they're not monsters either.

He does this since... Almost forever. The first story established him as a hardened mercenary not above sacrificing human lives to facilitate his job, but pretty much all of the later ones has it as a theme that Geralt should be an emotionless killing machine, and usually pretends that he is, but he's almost entirely driven by fighting for his loved ones and close friends. Hell, the saga is entirely built around his quest to rescue a girl he loves.

In general, he kills monsters for coin and humans for those he holds dear.
Except when he signs on as a body guard in which case he also kills humans for coins. Don't even try to tell me he loves his king because seriously? Geralt? Dude who has several rants about how shitty the kings all are?

Now is he an emotionless killer? No, never said that. I said since when was he mostly motivated by love? I already stated that 90% of the jobs he does are for coin and 10% as personal favours or acts of decency. 90% of the missions in the games are nothing but coin gathering missions.