The Witcher 3 Will End With Three Separate, Playable Epilogues

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Midniqht said:
Cool. The more I hear about this game, the better it sounds. I was a little disappointed with the endings for Witcher 2, just because no matter what choice you made, it didn't really feel like the endings were *that* different.
Well, when it comes to the second game in a trilogy, that's a good thing. It would have been pretty pointless to let W2 end in wildly different ways, only to bring everything back together at the start of W3...
I dunno. I think Mass Effect 2 did a pretty good job. You could lose main characters, or even have Shep die off completely, and still play the third. There'd be a way to bring things back together just by having one canon storyline.
The way Witcher 2 handled it, it seemed like the only difference was "Letho dies" or "Letho lives".

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Ok, I'm so looking forward to this game. But why am I getting that horrible feeling of Molyneux Syndrome? Stop promising the world guys, because if you can't deliver Ima cry.

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Midniqht said:
Mr.Tea said:
Midniqht said:
Cool. The more I hear about this game, the better it sounds. I was a little disappointed with the endings for Witcher 2, just because no matter what choice you made, it didn't really feel like the endings were *that* different.
Well, when it comes to the second game in a trilogy, that's a good thing. It would have been pretty pointless to let W2 end in wildly different ways, only to bring everything back together at the start of W3...
I dunno. I think Mass Effect 2 did a pretty good job. You could lose main characters, or even have Shep die off completely, and still play the third. There'd be a way to bring things back together just by having one canon storyline.
The way Witcher 2 handled it, it seemed like the only difference was "Letho dies" or "Letho lives".
Also the entire fate of the Pontar valley, the lives of two monarchs, the existence (or slaughter) of the mages council AND the Lodge of Sorcoresses plus the dragon either being mind-controlled, dead or cured. Also Temeria potentially sliding into civil war.

Admittedly these are all variations of "The north is fucked, Nilfgaard invades". They'll probably end up having to pick one canon sequence of events (or kind of skirt round it, as the action is gonna move southwards a fair bit from the Pontar)

Slavadil

Dec 16, 2010
It's nice to see there are still devs out there that genuinely care about the quality of their product.
I've been kinda disappointed with the industry ever since ME3. Bioware made a great trilogy but they failed epicly with the ending.

Luckily I stayed clear of SimCity. I knew that would be a disaster.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
I am looking forward to the Witcher 3 since the series has undeniably improved over the years, W1 was being so dreary it would have been way more enjoyable to take a bath in a septic tank full of used syringes then comes W2 with improved graphics, gameplay, and a few characters who were dangerously close to actually be interesting(Only played Roche's path in W2 so this could be wrong) if they continue this trend I might actually consider getting Witcher 3 before they slash the price in half

But one part of me really wants to see this game crash and burn so I can laugh at all the people who enjoyed these series weep when realizing they've been suckered by hype and high expectations

And yes, I loved Mass Effect 3 and I have managed to move on from original ending which it seems quite a few people here hasn't

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Good grief, people. Can we not discuss a piece of gaming news on its own merits anymore? Does everything have to devolve into pathetic oneupmanship? How about just saying 'holy tits, fellas, instead of just getting different cutscenes playing out depending on what ending we pick, we're going to get different playable sections! Man, isn't it great that the game industry is continuing to evolve and push the boundaries of our expectations?' Without naval gazing about a largely unrelated game.

Seeing as the bitterness has already soured this thread, I suppose I may as well throw in. Yes, on the very thin paper we're so far presented, these promises do sound like they would be 'better' than ME3's ending. But Mass Effect also lacked the bland setting, unlikable characters and awful, awful gameplay I've come to associate with The Witcher.

And no, I'm not bashing simply because my opinion is apparently not shared by the majority of people in this thread. Despite really not getting on with The Witcher 2, I'm still tentatively excited about the third entry because it does sound like they're improving the formula in a way that could well make for an immensely playable game. And if they can turn Geralt into someone worth giving the teeniest fuck about, so much the better.

Now can we please stop comparing apples with oranges, respect the ambition CDPR have obviously mustered for this title and move past the puerile whinging about something that happened over a year ago? More importantly, can we actually judge something based on what we get instead of mid-development hype?

Words are wind, y'all.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Andy Chalk said:
The impact of player choice in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt means the game will boast a whopping 36 possible "world states" when the action finally wraps.
Let me guess: Red (Destruction), Blue (Control), and Green (Photo-Synthesis) endings with 12 different hues in each. Oh I am so witty.

OT: Me thinks it is about the right time to get the first Witcher and then have all three available to play in succession... at least until the last ten minutes of the third game are leaked.

EDIT: Goddamned ninja'd so hard!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
sammysoso said:
BioWare should be taking notes.

Seriously, CD Projekt just gets it. Everything they say and do just shows that they are a talented group that knows how to make good games that treat their players well.
I bought Witcher 2 on release day and didn't play it until the EE edition was released.

Never once did I regret that decision >.>, they deserved every penny haha.

Once I did play it it was GOOD.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Longstreet said:
BTW, if memory serves (which it rarely does) didn't bioware said something like it would be too difficult to account for all the choices? If so, that's a even bigger "FUCK YOUUUUU!"
We already have that. It's called Alpha Protocol.

In the end? PR folks gonna PR...

Kalezian said:
OT: I sense this can potentially end badly, evidence suggests that gamers dont like choice, because when a game has multiple endings based on your choices....

people rage.

HARD.
More like, if the endings are based on which button you push as your very last choice, screw everything else.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds more like what Dishonored and New Vegas (and a host of various other lesser known or older gameS) did, where you'll get an assembled spiel of your choices. 36 possible combos, but most of the changes are probably minor.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Hm...
the irony is that it was the Witcher 2 that ultimately made me reupgrade my computer parts...

I suspect the same will happen with Witcher 3