The Witcher 3 Xbox Owners Ironically Locked Out Game Due to DRM Issues

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:
Hold on. CD Project Red is against DRM. DRM causes issues. How is this ironic or a blow against CD Project Red? I don't see the logic.
Because one does not expect a company who is against DRM to have their product become nonfunctional because of issues with DRM.

That's pretty much the textbook definition of situational irony, where the opposite of expectation occurs.
Irony would be if them being against DRM backfired on them. They're against DRM because it's anti-consumer. Now that the DRM actually did act up and directly hurt the consumers, it doesn't make it irony. It just means they were right.
*Sirens blaring* Ello ello! Irony police here. Just doing a random check up. Won't take long.
Hmm. Sorry to urinate on one's fireworks, but this irony here's papers are all in order. Everything checks out.
Irony isn't bound to specific targets, it has many forms. Of all the games to mess up digital rights management, it would be the one made by the developer that is actively against DRM. There you have your irony! Nearly half your RDI of it too.
Right. We' re all done here. ...Florence? Warm the engine, we have a lot more irony to keep in check and a long night ahead of us!
*Sirens blaring fade*
If you force a lactose intolerant person to drink non-lactose free milk, I don't think it's irony when they get the runs.

To put it another way:
"If we do X, Y will happen" > Y Happens = Not irony.
"If we do X, Y will never happen" > Y Happens = Irony.

If they had said that DRM is the best thing ever and never negatively affects consumers, it would be irony. The fact that they're against DRM and this now happening is not irony; it's just confirmation that their stance is well founded.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Denamic said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:
Hold on. CD Project Red is against DRM. DRM causes issues. How is this ironic or a blow against CD Project Red? I don't see the logic.
Because one does not expect a company who is against DRM to have their product become nonfunctional because of issues with DRM.

That's pretty much the textbook definition of situational irony, where the opposite of expectation occurs.
Irony would be if them being against DRM backfired on them. They're against DRM because it's anti-consumer. Now that the DRM actually did act up and directly hurt the consumers, it doesn't make it irony. It just means they were right.
*Sirens blaring* Ello ello! Irony police here. Just doing a random check up. Won't take long.
Hmm. Sorry to urinate on one's fireworks, but this irony here's papers are all in order. Everything checks out.
Irony isn't bound to specific targets, it has many forms. Of all the games to mess up digital rights management, it would be the one made by the developer that is actively against DRM. There you have your irony! Nearly half your RDI of it too.
Right. We' re all done here. ...Florence? Warm the engine, we have a lot more irony to keep in check and a long night ahead of us!
*Sirens blaring fade*
If you force a lactose intolerant person to drink non-lactose free milk, I don't think it's irony when they get the runs.

To put it another way:

If they had said that DRM is the best thing ever and never negatively affects consumers, it would be irony. The fact that they're against DRM and this now happening is not irony; it's just confirmation that their stance is well founded.
I have to agree with this fine gentleman.

At first glance it seems ironic; but, when you consider that CDPR say that DRM fucks the customer and that they've been forced to implement DRM by a 3rd party, you can't say that DRM fucking the customer over is ironic (in regards to a CDPR game).

What you could say is that it is massively appropriate and stance affirming. Ironic though, not really.

Appropriate and ironic seem strangely similar to those lacking a firm grasp.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Denamic said:
/thread.

This is neither ironic nor the fault of CD Projekt Red. If anything it shows that their point regarding DRM is extremely valid.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Denamic said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:

*Sirens blaring fade*

To put it another way:

Best Irony explanation I have yet to see.

Someone said the article is the only one saying they were forced to add the DRM. No MS requires it for all games on the Xbox. CDProjekt Red wanted to sell on the consoles store they had to include MS's DRM. If they wanted to sell it on Steam it would include Steams DRM. Boxed set from a brick and mortar? Their own digital store? They can do whatever they want.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:

*Sirens blaring fade*
The only thing ironic about all this is your very own post..

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:

Irony and being right are not mutually exclusive.

One does not expect someone against DRM to be bitten in the ass by DRM on their products. That's the source of irony. The fact they're against DRM is what MAKES it ironic, because it is -counter to expectation- that someone against DRM would -have- it and be -bitten- by it.

Irony is defined by the juxtaposition of opposites, either by saying something and meaning the opposite [verbal irony, often confused with sarcasm], an action occuring opposite of intention [situational irony, which this case falls in], or a case where an action leads to a consequence opposite of intention [dramatic irony, the most commonly understood definition].

This certainly falls under situational irony by any textbook definition.

JET1971 said:
Denamic said:

To put it another way:

Best Dramatic Irony explanation I have yet to see.

Someone said the article is the only one saying they were forced to add the DRM. No MS requires it for all games on the Xbox. CDProjekt Red wanted to sell on the consoles store they had to include MS's DRM. If they wanted to sell it on Steam it would include Steams DRM. Boxed set from a brick and mortar? Their own digital store? They can do whatever they want.
Fixed that for you.

His description ONLY covers one form of irony.

Examples of Verbal Irony:
Verbal Irony Examples:
1. Looking at her son's messy room, Mom says, "Wow, you could win an award for cleanliness!"
2. On the way to school, the school bus gets a flat tire and the bus driver says, "Excellent! This day couldn't start off any better!"
3. Mark is very upset over the fact that his brand new truck has a little speck of mud on the bumper, and Jennifer, who has a used car, says, "My goodness! That's a shame!"
4. A student who goes to the restroom every day during class asks the teacher if he can go. Her response is "Sure, it's not like we do anything important in this class."
5. A mother with three noisy children has been waiting in line at the market. When it is her turn, the cashier asks if she would mind waiting while she runs to the restroom. The mother says, "Of course not-why in the world would you think I would mind?"
6. A small child does not flush the toilet, and the mother says, "I really appreciate when you flush the toilet! Thank you for remembering your manners!"
Situational irony is when something opposite to intent occurs. CD Projekt intended for their games to be DRM free to prevent problems with DRM. They were hit with problems with DRM. That is the definition of situational irony.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:
DracoSuave said:
Denamic said:

Irony and being right are not mutually exclusive.

One does not expect someone against DRM to be bitten in the ass by DRM on their products. That's the source of irony. The fact they're against DRM is what MAKES it ironic, because it is -counter to expectation- that someone against DRM would -have- it and be -bitten- by it.

Irony is defined by the juxtaposition of opposites, either by saying something and meaning the opposite [verbal irony, often confused with sarcasm], an action occuring opposite of intention [situational irony, which this case falls in], or a case where an action leads to a consequence opposite of intention [dramatic irony, the most commonly understood definition].

This certainly falls under situational irony by any textbook definition.

JET1971 said:
Denamic said:

To put it another way:

Best Dramatic Irony explanation I have yet to see.

Fixed that for you.

His description ONLY covers one form of irony.

Examples of Verbal Irony:
Verbal Irony Examples:
1. Looking at her son's messy room, Mom says, "Wow, you could win an award for cleanliness!"
2. On the way to school, the school bus gets a flat tire and the bus driver says, "Excellent! This day couldn't start off any better!"
3. Mark is very upset over the fact that his brand new truck has a little speck of mud on the bumper, and Jennifer, who has a used car, says, "My goodness! That's a shame!"
4. A student who goes to the restroom every day during class asks the teacher if he can go. Her response is "Sure, it's not like we do anything important in this class."
5. A mother with three noisy children has been waiting in line at the market. When it is her turn, the cashier asks if she would mind waiting while she runs to the restroom. The mother says, "Of course not-why in the world would you think I would mind?"
6. A small child does not flush the toilet, and the mother says, "I really appreciate when you flush the toilet! Thank you for remembering your manners!"
Situational irony is when something opposite to intent occurs. CD Projekt intended for their games to be DRM free to prevent problems with DRM. They were hit with problems with DRM. That is the definition of situational irony.
Ah yes, thankyou. This was what I failed explain by resorting to humour in assumption that people would already understand. Unfortunately, my brain was a twee hindered by inebriation. So it confuddled me when people thought irony was such a specific term. Can you be my backup brain? ;)

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I raise an eyebrow at the implication that CDRP could in any way be to blame for this, since they didn't want it and Microsoft shoved it in. I feel bad for a good company (CDRP, obviously) to get saddled with this with one of their big, popular titles but at least they can use this as a thing to point out in the future when someone else tries to do the same thing. Maybe a few others will get the picture with such a public display of DRM screwing things up.

I'm not holding my breath, but one can dream.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I imagine some Xbox One users must be pretty angry about this. This would mean Microsoft now has to deal with some...

Raging xboners.

...I'll see myself out, I guess.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
So CDPR get vindication that DRM is a load of shit for customers, and Microsoft gets yet another embarrassing incident on the long list of embarrassing incidents that has been the Xbone's entire existence, but the article is worded relating to it being ironic for CDPR to be against DMR when this happens? Honestly, I think the more relevant point would be "Microsoft still screws shit up months after the exact same issue occurred before" rather than how the Witcher getting DRM issues because it was forced upon their game is similar to rain on your wedding day or whatever.

Also

DracoSuave said:
Situation irony is when the opposite of intent occurs, true. This situation though is not really ironic, as while CDPR's desire was for no DRM, it was forced upon them to put in there, removing their intent with regards to that version of the game. That they were forced to put DRM on their game when their intent was to not have it was ironic, not when the DRM they were forced to have caused issues. That their opinions regarding DRM were proven valid though, is not, that was vindication of those opinions as it displayed exactly what was predicted.

The way you seem to be using the word would mean that every time a business screws up, it is automatically ironic because the intent to make profit was met with the opposite. Hell, applying it loosely, every tragedy in history is ironic because it was the opposite of intent of the people who underwent it.

Though, that issue with semantics is probably why the dramatic understanding of irony is the more commonly thought of definition of it than the one you use, as dramatic irony applies to fewer situations and seems to have more meaning in use of the word than the "ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife" sort of irony.