The Witcher Series Has Passed the 25 Million Sales Barrier

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Witcher Series Has Passed the 25 Million Sales Barrier

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1338/1338235.jpgJust in case you didn't know, The Witcher is a pretty darn popular series.

You probably know that the three games in The Witcher are pretty successful, but you might not know just how successful. It turns out that since the lauch of the first Witcher game, CD Projekt Red has sold over 25 million copies of the trilogy's games.

The news come by way of CD Projket's 2016 financial results [https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/cd-projekt-posts-strong-results-2016/], which were posted earlier today. Alongside the news of some really good sales numbers for the series, there's also another big number to consider: The Witcher 3 has accrued total sales of over $250 million in the one and a half years following its release in May of 2015.

Those sales, and the revenues from GOG.com, have put the company is a strong position. The report states that "Despite the unprecedented financing requirements of its new games - Cyperpunk 2077, GWENT and Blood and Wine (released in May) - the Group was able to post 204 million PLN (approximately $51 million) in positive cash flows."

As part of the report, Adam Kicinski, the President of CD Projekt, said, "For years we have consistently prioritized quality and focused on a limited range of products. The persistently strong sales of the entire The Witcher series vindicate our approach and contribute to long-term appeal of our releases. Between the launch of The Witcher in 2007 and the end of 2016 we have sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games.

This year we will continue to expand The Witcher brand - it is, after all, the year of GWENT. We're in the process of organizing the game's first major tournament, with a 100 thousand USD prize pool. Another crucial round of beta tests will commence in spring, with the retail release to follow in the second half of 2017."

There's still no word on when we might get another look at Cyberpunk 2077, but if you were wondering how CD Projekt is doing financially, you can rest easy.

Sep 14, 2009
Good, they highly deserve it compared to most devs.

Really excited for the full game of gwent to come out, the beta is fine, but I want to play the campaign and get full access to all the cards.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Company treats it's customers well, customers respond by spending more money with them.

The Witcher having healthy sales is excellent news, but I suspect the majority of CD Projekt's overall profit comes from Good Old Games. It's been my preferred place to buy games from since Steam descended into shovelware madness and the older games being mostly DRM free is a nice bonus.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im happy for them, because you cna tell how much effort was put in to their games. even when im not much in to fantasy, i really enjoyed the witcher 2 and 3. even when i have waited longer to get the GOTY editions but it was worth the wait.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
apparently gwent is 2017 which means 2019 for cyberpunk...far out at this rate its going to be 30 years since ive been waiting for this game to be made.

their first teaser shows they understand cyberpunk and im curious to see if they can pull it off. that and i want to see the character creator... neon green mohawks with mirrorshades for the win

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
ive bought the entire witcher series on steam sale and i have never played any of them but i love the company and gog so ive tried to support them and their ideals

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Definitely good news : ) I can't wait for Cyberpunk, I remember the story and flavor text from the pen and paper game. It is amazing how they nailed it in areas of society and technology based on what has happened so many years later.