The Witcher: Sixteen Hours of Love

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Is it just me or is the actual comic uploaded Afterbirth again? That is what I currently see and I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Uh-oh I'm getting the same one as a couple of days ago. Perhaps a mistake? :S

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mezahmay said:
Is it just me or is the actual comic uploaded Afterbirth again? That is what I currently see and I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way.
bliebblob said:
Mezahmay said:
bliebblob said:
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THE COMIC IS FINE.

I DIDN'T FUCK IT UP.

edit: I did fuck up this quote though. Jesus Christ. I'm some kind of omegaspastic.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
The Wooster said:
Mezahmay said:
bliebblob said:
Mezahmay said:
bliebblob said:
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THE COMIC IS FINE.

I DIDN'T FUCK IT UP.

edit: I did fuck up this quote though. Jesus Christ. I'm some kind of omegaspastic.
I... That's strange, for a moment there I had this weird vision that something was wrong... Silly me, everything is fine. It always was. It always will be. Forever. *Psycho smile*

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
You know, maybe I'm unusual (i think not) but the entire thing about the Companion Cube was that it reflected GLaDOS' complete misunderstanding of how friendship and love work rather than that you were seriously supposed to be attached tot he cube.

Fuck knows I wasn't.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Well, at least the witcher tends to have quality sex at least, no matter the reason.

ForumSafari said:
You know, maybe I'm unusual (i think not) but the entire thing about the Companion Cube was that it reflected GLaDOS' complete misunderstanding of how friendship and love work rather than that you were seriously supposed to be attached tot he cube.

Fuck knows I wasn't.
I tried trickshotting the cube into the furnace.. Several times.. Until I finally did it after beating on the cube for ten minutes or so.
...I was not very attached.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:

Fuck knows I wasn't.
You're not.

But as with everything in Portal during the height of its popularity, it too just became another meme.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
But as with everything in Portal during the height of its popularity, it too just became another meme.
Which is a pity as a lot of the cake stuff is quite funny when you view it in context but the Internet indeed did ruin Portal.

Incidentally this is part of why this strip fell short for me, the Witcher approach may be wrong (we won't know for a while either way) but realistically no one seems to be able to point to a game that did whatever it is it's done wrong right.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Incidentally this is part of why this strip fell short for me, the Witcher approach may be wrong (we won't know for a while either way) but realistically no one seems to be able to point to a game that did whatever it is it's done wrong right.
You mean creating an attachment in a short amount of time or just sex? Because I can point to two games that did either (arguably) quite well.

I think it all depends on how you viewed CD Project's previous attempts at "maturity". If you liked the way the handled the sex in the first two games, chances are you'll like what they're going to do in the third. But if you didn't, than The Witcher 3 probably won't change that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm not sure that caring about the companion cube was natural to the game rather than something we as a culture provided later. Did we view the companion cube as something more special due to some personification? Sure. But it wasn't as meaningful as a full relationship with a living being would have been.

Is the point of this that sex in games is icky and people need to be more prudish and live by other people's values or is this just a joke to enjoy in passing as I'm enjoying it now?

A romantic relationship is an incredibly fast way to establish intimacy. He wasn't technically wrong. Portal had to stew that relationship for quite some time.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I suppose it's true, considering he said "Quickest". If he said, "Most effective" than I'd be pretty skeptical. I just hope they don't forget the other methods as well. The relationship between Geralt and Yennefer is an interesting one.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
You mean creating an attachment in a short amount of time or just sex? Because I can point to two games that did either (arguably) quite well.

I think it all depends on how you viewed CD Project's previous attempts at "maturity". If you liked the way the handled the sex in the first two games, chances are you'll like what they're going to do in the third. But if you didn't, than The Witcher 3 probably won't change that.
I actually liked the previous games, particularly the second. In fact I thought it was a very sharp game generally in terms of characterisation and dialogue.

In terms of request I meant a game that built up a realistic romantic partner. Buddies, or at least people whose witticisms you enjoy, are one thing as are characters you might want to see naked. A meaningful relationship with another character, even jsut the feeling of one existing, is pretty rare in games.

As humorous as the interview was when viewed askance I'm unwilling to write it off or critique their opinions when compared to other games, who pretty much all fuck it up spectacularly. It could be that it's shit but I'm not going to critique their approach until I try it because lord knows the Bioware approach just left me trying to find a way to get the hell out of a relationship I wandered in to by accident.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Have not played and Witcher games, but if the main character is someone who sleeps around a lot, wouldn't showing sex between him and her actually decrease our connection to her? I mean, the relationship has already been carried out to that stage, and all we know is that they've had sex, and that's supposed to make us pursue her? Why? How?

Dialogue is definitely the best way to establish relationships. Baldur's Gate 2 did it far better than any of the Mass Effect games without showing any sex at all.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Lightknight said:
I'm not sure that caring about the companion cube was natural to the game rather than something we as a culture provided later.

Is the point of this that sex in games is icky and people need to be more prudish and live by other people's values or is this just a joke to enjoy in passing as I'm enjoying it now?
Nah! The problem wasn't that they said "sex makes you care about a character". It was that it sounded like they were saying, "Sex is the ONLY reason to care about a character." I don't think they meant to imply that, but that was how it came across to a bunch of people including me when I first heard about it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
*Sees fire, adds a gallon of gasoline*

I love this comic.

ForumSafari said:
Casual Shinji said:

I actually liked the previous games, particularly the second. In fact I thought it was a very sharp game generally in terms of characterisation and dialogue.

In terms of request I meant a game that built up a realistic romantic partner. Buddies, or at least people whose witticisms you enjoy, are one thing as are characters you might want to see naked. A meaningful relationship with another character, even jsut the feeling of one existing, is pretty rare in games.

As humorous as the interview was when viewed askance I'm unwilling to write it off or critique their opinions when compared to other games, who pretty much all fuck it up spectacularly. It could be that it's shit but I'm not going to critique their approach until I try it because lord knows the Bioware approach just left me trying to find a way to get the hell out of a relationship I wandered in to by accident.
As far as relationships go, I think a few games did right. Some of the early Final Fantasies did a decent job, particularly 6 and 7. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Tifa and Cloud actually had a pretty well developed relationship, regardless of what you think of the rest of the game. Silent Hill 2 did a good job as well, despite the fact that you don't see much of Mary. There's a lot of substance there. Mass Effect was pretty iffy with romance (I somehow accidentally had sex with Jack) but I thought they did a pretty good job with friendship. Garrus was a great character. Outside of games, it becomes much easier. UP made me love the characters in less then ten minutes. So did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le34ygtODfI

Both without dialogue. There are some good games with good writing.

As for sex, that's hard. I'm sure there are great games with well done sex scenes, but I can't think of many. Most of them were implied, not shown, like the aforementioned FF7 romance. Saints Rows parodies did a pretty good job of showing what's wrong with most video game relationships.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Lightknight said:
I'm not sure that caring about the companion cube was natural to the game rather than something we as a culture provided later. Did we view the companion cube as something more special due to some personification? Sure. But it wasn't as meaningful as a full relationship with a living being would have been.

A romantic relationship is an incredibly fast way to establish intimacy. He wasn't technically wrong. Portal had to stew that relationship for quite some time.
I think there's a difference between- `I think what he said about this is dumb` and `sex is icky and we should all be prudes`, and it's kinda weird how everyone who wasn't impressed by what the guy said is getting lumped into the second category.

But I'm not particularly fussed, I mean, it's the Witcher, dumb sex stuff is pretty much required.

Also, I only cared about the companion cube after I threw it away and then I felt a bit guilty.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Have not played and Witcher games, but if the main character is someone who sleeps around a lot, wouldn't showing sex between him and her actually decrease our connection to her? I mean, the relationship has already been carried out to that stage, and all we know is that they've had sex, and that's supposed to make us pursue her? Why? How?

Dialogue is definitely the best way to establish relationships. Baldur's Gate 2 did it far better than any of the Mass Effect games without showing any sex at all.
I don't think it was the dialogue alone that made those Baldur's Gate relationships better, but also the fact they didn't spell everything out for we could use our imagination to try and embellish the conversations and interactions with our own experiences and feelings. Which is why I am not sure spending 16 hours on sexual encounter motion capture is going to produce the results that they are wanting.

It is also one of the reasons why I think that BioWare has finally started to make improvements in their relationship structure with Inquisition unlike the past four or five games for they are leaving parts of it to the imagination and I hope they continue to explore that avenue.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know what'd be neat? A build up romance where the final stage isn't sex. Instead they just sit down and watch a movie, grab a bite to eat, or just hang out in general.