The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile Review - Yes!

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile Review - Yes!

The episodes keep raising the stakes in Telltale?s series based on the Fables comic book by Bill Willingham.

Read Full Article

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Damn, a perfect score. Can't wait to play it tonight, it seems Telltale's going to make up for the letdown of episode 2.

EDIT: Just finished it. Whoa.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
inb4 ShodanFreeman

Looks pretty good. I may pick up the series when it's all complete.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
I just hope i can resist the temptation for spoilers before it comes out on iOS.
Yes i got the game on iOS, it actually plays pretty well.

Dec 14, 2009
Just finished it.

Goddamn that was awesome.

It's amazing the two contrasting play styles I get from TWAU and TWD.

Clementine is a girl who has little to no power, and you must seize it whenever you can.

Bigby, on the other hand, has power, but me, as a player, refuse to use it, refuse to let Bigby revert to an animal, refuse to take the easy way out.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Ugh. It figures that this would come out like three days after my computer died. Somebody speed up time so I can get my new one sooner.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
I feel like this is a great time to say that The Wolf Among Us is also on sale on Steam right now.

OT: Just finished the episode. So far, this has gone from a game that I had no interest in, to one I can't wait for more of.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Freaking loved it, an amazing episode.
What I really love about The Wolf is just how amazingly structured episodes are. There's always some epic battle section, a couple of new characters and resolutions, and an amazing stinger at the end. A perfect episodic structure.
Also Laura Bailey is amazing at doing British accent.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I loved this episode. The ending Bloody Mary fight was hectic and it's first time i've ever had to stand up to do button prompts because I was so freaked out. Amazing. I'm just curious, did they base Blood Mary off of the whole 'three times in a mirror' tale, or is she a fairytale character? Because I have some ideas but I don't know if it's just speculating or not.

But other than that, the pacing was great, alot of my decisions had me second guessing big time, and it looked great too. Episode 4 cannot come fast enough.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Just finished it.

Clementine is a girl who has little to no power, and you must seize it whenever you can.

Bigby, on the other hand, has power, but me, as a player, refuse to use it, refuse to let Bigby revert to an animal, refuse to take the easy way out.
I agree but it felt so right to give in. I mean I have been so good at giving second chances but damn there is a limit and when you cross it I rip your throat out. It broke my clean playthrough on this episode but it needed to be done. I wonder if I will pay for it later but right now blood on my claws I am feeling a little regret but damn it felt good.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I've been playing the nice guy, by and large, but...

I had to kill Dum. He keeps showing up like a bad penny, over and over, always bringing in violence to stop me at the worst possible time, now threatening innocent lives with increasing frequency. I ripped his throat out, and I know there will probably be consequences, but dammit, I'm still not at all sure it wasn't the right thing to do.

Also, while I've been nice to women and children by and large, I knew the kid had to be Auntie Greenleaf. I mean, c'mon- a witch specializing in glamours? A child who immediately starts speaking in alibis the moment you come in the door? It only frustrated me it took Bigby so long to catch on.

I have to say, though, I'm getting a little tired of "You succeed in every button prompt, and you still lose."

Still, heckuva episode- probably the best yet.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
HOLY CRAP!

I mean things go so wrong in this episode! At the end you really get the feeling that this is far too big for Bigby and Snow. They have no idea what they're up against and no idea how to get out of this mess. It's funny, as Bigby you're used to feeling so powerful, but at the end of it I was left feeling small and weak.

One thing I'd have to complain about is the timed choices that happen EVERY TIME, even when it's not necessary to hurry. On few occasions I made a choice I was not happy with thanks to being hurried. Give us some time, these are important decisions!

Also:

I loved Bloody Mary. The actress did an incredible job, selling the character in such a short time. That little giggle she mad won me over completely. I mean sure, it's a despicable and rotten character, but once again she made clear just how helpless Bigby really is in the grand scheme of things.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
JimmyPage666 said:
I was a bit more restrained with the twins but fuck me they're annoying. They pull some bad shit in that episode and really deserve a good shit-kicking. Should have killed them really, not allow them to do more damage. Think I'm getting soft.

I get the feeling they're trying to push you as far as you can as Bigby. It's like they want to see if you'll snap and go full on beast.
I'm loving this aspect of it so much. At the end of this episode, I truly realized the power that Bigby has at his disposal. I could kill half the people of fabletown if I choose to do so.

It took all of my might not to kill Dee as well. All of it. But when Snow looked at Bigby, her face already one of horror, I knew I made the right choice not to kill him. I kinda want to replay it as an evil bastard just to see how she acts. I wonder if she even saves you?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I really enjoyed this new episode although it was a tad short yet again.

I was very surprised by the ending of it and it set up the next episode very nicely, which I can't wait to play.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Just finished it.

That is my playstyle as well. It's always more interesting to me to play the good guy when you are roleplaying (so to speak) as "Big Bad Wolf", I find it quite ironic when I "force" the character to play as a goody two shoes. ^^

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I'd say expressing violence matters by situation rather than as a universal principle. I like to think some people deserve a punch or two. Some of these choices are difficult to argue in terms of good or evil.

It looks to me like there's a big power struggle brewing. I'm not sure how much diplomatic skills can help against the Crooked Man when he's already got a finger on Fabletown's pulse. Besides, allies are hard enough to keep without breaking some fingers.

I was afraid they'd turn this into a karmic situation when I played through the beginning of episode 2, but everything in this episode appears much more black and white, and I love it!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Just finished it.

You mean you didn't
rip out Dum's throat? Spoilsport! :D

But yeah just finished it. Fucking excellent as usual. Parts of me are wishing that the investigation parts were a bit less... not railroaded, but linear I guess? A lot of the sections feel like I'm succeeding rather than working towards it.

But still those last 10 minutes, god damn.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Just finished and all I can say is wow. That was awesome.

That end sequence. Going from frustration, to ultimate badass, to complete helplessness all in the span of about a minute was crazy.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
As much as a loved this episode and that last section was awesome i also realised something
[spoiler = ending] Have they played their cards to early, i mean its awesome he goes what i asume to be full wolf but it seems like well... that the buildup for it is gone. From looking at the titles card things i assumed that you would only go full wolf in the final episode so it would be a big thing, now what are they going to do in later episodes. He can change again but its still something we have seen, i reckon it will lose its impact from now on.

Worse of all i don't think it was needed, they could of had him partially transform but more than what we have seen instead (IDK maybe he could be covered in fur but he still looks like Bigby)and that would of been enough. Does anyone else think that changing was used to early in the series? Or am i missing something and that's still only a partial transformation?

Edit: So in cannon comics it seems this its still a partial change from pics i have seen, regardless do you think that even that half change is played to early, i mean we dont even know if he will even go full wolf in the games[/spoiler]