The Wolf Among Us Episode 4 "In Sheep's Clothing" Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Wolf Among Us Episode 4 "In Sheep's Clothing" Review

Nothing seems to be going right for Sheriff Bigby Wolf.

Read Full Article

Dec 14, 2009
I really enjoyed this episode.

At the end, with the four dialogue choices, I went for 'light a cigarette'.

Hnnnng, Bigby you so badass!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I dunno, part of me thought this was the weakest episode so far. Keep in mind that's still praise since the weakest Teltae episode smashes like... 95% of other games coming out that I can think of. But it just felt a bit rushed I suppose. A lot of dialogue I might have wanted to say just didn't exist and after Snow says that you need to calm your tits going basically straight into a forced fight with Jersey was... contrary, I suppose.

But still really good, and it's actually making me think about this whole what is legal and what is right thing more than basically any other game has. Though it is made a bit easier when
The Crooked Man has slaves of various different flavours

Still, really good and I just hope Episode 5 is anywhere near as good as Episode 5 of TWD Episode 5.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have loved every minute of this game but I have one issue but it is a small one. As much as I love the whole super werewolf thing that Bigby has going on, this is the Big Bad Wolf I want to see:

I am guessing that it will not happen tho. Someone pointed out to me that if Bigby went all out wolf mode, none of the bad guys would be even close to a threat, taking alot of the tension out of the game.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Ya, this was very much of a lateral step or primer for ep 5. Still good though. There was a bit of character drama here, but there wasn't a lot gained. I'm super hyped for the ending (which seems to be longer considering the trophies say 5 chapters instead of 4), but it is what it is.

Gizmo1990 said:
I have loved every minute of this game but I have one issue but it is a small one. As much as I love the whole super werewolf thing that Bigby has going on, this is the Big Bad Wolf I want to see:

I am guessing that it will not happen tho. Someone pointed out to me that if Bigby went all out wolf mode, none of the bad guys would be even close to a threat, taking alot of the tension out of the game.
I agree that this is what I've been waiting for too. It's been teased since the end of ep 1 and I don't want it have him peak an episode ago. I would like the Big Bad Wolf over the Big Bad WEREwolf. I know he would be pretty much a god, but I was promised a wolf among...me (even if it's just in the climax of ep 5, I would be satisfied). It was mentioned in the game that Bigby wasn't a true werewolf (unless I heard wrong), but time is running out :(.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

I did the same exact thing and I loved the final bit it just made me go YEAH BUDDY!

I also kept smoking in the Butcher shop but that's because I know the actual reason Bigby smokes all the time so it doesn't make sense for him to stop in some of the times he does in the game.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Raggedstar said:
I would like the Big Bad Wolf over the Big Bad WEREwolf. I know he would be pretty much a god, but I was promised a wolf among...me (even if it's just in the climax of ep 5, I would be satisfied). It was mentioned in the game that Bigby wasn't a true werewolf (unless I heard wrong), but time is running out :(.
If I recall correctly from the comics, he's sort of a reverse werewolf - originally The Big Bad Wolf, and for some reason or other way back when, he needed to be human for a while, so he went out and caught lycanthropy, so now he shifts as needed, but is vulnerable to silver.

And yeah, who wouldn't light the cigarette? When I saw the stats on that were 25% I was pretty surprised.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I enjoyed the episode- and, yeah, like the majority here, my choice for that last one was "light a cigarette".

I was a little annoyed by one of the earlier choices, though- I interpreted "It won't be forever" as "you're still going to need to get your act together, you can't keep going this way" rather than "you're going to the Farm". Sometimes the options are a little vague to interpret on a strict time limit.

(Dammit. Poor Toad.)

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
It was a cool episode! Not as good as 1 or 3, but it didn't have the same... drifty feeling that made 2 feel lackluster. Got me pumped for the finale, at least. I like how Bigby and Snow can seem little better than the Crooked Man at times, especially given their rules. It makes the whole thing less black and white - sure, the Crooked Man doesn't charge absurd rates for required products and he's a lot more willing to "help" out, but the business office doesn't enslave people. It shows the... considerable flaws to both sides.

But overall, I'm still really liking it. Holding off on reading the comics until the game finishes. I really hope they do a season two, though. I just really don't care about TWD as much as I care about this... granted, I do have a certain bias towards urban fantasy, and a certain bias against zombie fiction.

hazabaza1 said:
A lot of dialogue I might have wanted to say just didn't exist and after Snow says that you need to calm your tits going basically straight into a forced fight with Jersey was... contrary, I suppose
Wait, how was the fight forced, exactly? I mean, you had no part in starting it, that was all Woody. I guess he didn't have to help the guy out, but what's Bigby supposed to do? Sit there and let Jersey murder him? "Sorry Woody, Swineheart said to keep it light!"

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Saetha said:
hazabaza1 said:
A lot of dialogue I might have wanted to say just didn't exist and after Snow says that you need to calm your tits going basically straight into a forced fight with Jersey was... contrary, I suppose
Wait, how was the fight forced, exactly? I mean, you had no part in starting it, that was all Woody. I guess he didn't have to help the guy out, but what's Bigby supposed to do? Sit there and let Jersey murder him? "Sorry Woody, Swineheart said to keep it light!"
I dunno, grab him when in human form? Trip him to the ground and restrain him maybe. As soon as Jersey throws the first punch Bigby throws out a haymaker and smashes Jersey's face through a glass panel into either a set of pins or some old expensive china or something.
Don't get me wrong it was fucking BADASS and I did enjoy the scene but the reaction seemed a bit... excessive.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
hazabaza1 said:
Saetha said:
hazabaza1 said:
I dunno, grab him when in human form? Trip him to the ground and restrain him maybe. As soon as Jersey throws the first punch Bigby throws out a haymaker and smashes Jersey's face through a glass panel into either a set of pins or some old expensive china or something.
Don't get me wrong it was fucking BADASS and I did enjoy the scene but the reaction seemed a bit... excessive.
Err... did you go to the Pawn first or something? In my playthrough it was Woody who did all the face-smashing into display cases. Then Jersey turned into demon bat-deer thing.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Saetha said:
hazabaza1 said:
Saetha said:
hazabaza1 said:
Err... did you go to the Pawn first or something? In my playthrough it was Woody who did all the face-smashing into display cases. Then Jersey turned into demon bat-deer thing.
Nope, went to the Butcher's first. I did choose the "restrain Jersey" option though, so I guess that changes who does what. Neat.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
There were some good moments in this episode, but overall I felt it was really weak (though still better than episode 2). I don't feel bad at all about calling out the episode for being too damn short, and some sections just feel too full of filler (Butcher's shop, mayor's office). A short episode with that much filler content...not a good sign. One thing I think the Tell-Tale's first season of Walking Dead did well was giving every episode its own self-contained story arch as well as fitting it into the overarching narrative. Wolf Among Us mostly only does the latter, which means every episode just leaves me wanting. Unlike Walking Dead season 1, you don't get any sort of resolution per episode. Presumably we're just going to have to wait until the final episode for this series. The Wolf Among Us just doesn't use the episodic format well, and I don't even know if a great final episode can shake the disappointment I've had for this series since its stellar debut.

That said, I still love the setting and most of the characters. I hope they return to Fables once this is done, and just do it better. And maybe Tell-Tale just needs to not force the episodic structure on it (or on everything they do). They've been at that style for a long time now, but I really just feel like Wolf Among Us would have benefited a ton from being one large, unbroken story.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Huh, what a coincidence..I did the same thing, because I thought it was very fitting for the situation.

Loved this episode as well, I don't know why it got so low score from other outlets.