The Wolf Among Us Review - Episodic Elegance

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Wolf Among Us Review - Episodic Elegance

On the tails of Walking Dead, Telltale?s new game series based on the comic book series Fables continues its recent trend of excellence.

Read Full Article

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I absolutely loved this game, can't wait for next episode.

SERIOUS episode 1 spoiler:
So, I've recently read that episode 1 story is canon, which, given that its a prequel, means that Snow White will "get better" at some point. Well, I guess, if she survived having her brains splattered all over with a high-caliber sniper rifle in the comics, decapitation is not THAT much harder to shrug off... I hope, I really liked her character in game.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Yea, I gotta agree with everyone here. I adore this game and I'm so glad I stumbled across it and shelled out the cash for it. I didn't even know it existed until yesterday and I spent 2 hours playing through the whole of episode 1 last night. It was awesome.

My only complaint about it is that Bigby never fully abandoned his human disguise like some of the others did. I kinda want to see the wolf running around.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
trty00 said:
Didn't you see the preview of the next episode? I'm pretty sure we get to see him go full lupine.
I made a point of skipping it, much like I did for TWD, as I find the previews both annoying and spoilery.

That does sound pretty cool though, looking forward to when it happens now.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Agayek said:
Yea, I gotta agree with everyone here. I adore this game and I'm so glad I stumbled across it and shelled out the cash for it. I didn't even know it existed until yesterday and I spent 2 hours playing through the whole of episode 1 last night. It was awesome.

My only complaint about it is that Bigby never fully abandoned his human disguise like some of the others did. I kinda want to see the wolf running around.
What?! But:
When you fight that troll like guy in the bar, you do become a wolf to kick his ass. Only briefly though.

Hawkeye21 said:
Come on! When you're gonna mention stuff of the comic books mention it before the spoilers.
You're spoilering even people that finished episode 1.
It's not a huge problem for me, because i went to the telltale forums and the people there also don't like to name their spoilers, but it's a dick move nonetheless.
I just hate that behaviour.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
trty00 said:
Oh, well I'm sorry if you felt I spoiled it. I realize it probably would have been incredibly exciting if you had no idea it was going to happen. If he's able to beat up Grendel when he's just pissed off, imagine how strong he is when he's going 100%.
Nah, that's not really the kind of spoilers I try to avoid. I was more talking about the teasers like "Hey, it really looks like Tweedle Dum did it!" or whatever that they inevitably stick in those kind of trailers.

Edit:
@Amaror: That's him going wolf man. I'm talking about full-on giant dog the size of a bus wolf form.

Dec 14, 2009
I played this episode yesterday, and it was bloody amazing.

I don't think I've ever been sucked into a world so quickly before.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'll probably wait for the full thing to be released, I hate Telltale's pace wich they release their awesome stories!, I'd hate to be left with a cliffhanger and be left waiting for a month for the next installment to be released.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Great review Greg, I really loved the first episode.

Another good series that Telltale has crafted. I cannot wait to see what they have in stored next apart from TWD and TWAU.

I am looking forward to episode 2 of TWAU and TWD Season 2 this year.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait, is he the wolf from Three Little Pigs or the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood?

Either way, the sheer overwhelming amount of praise that this is getting pretty much guarantees that I'm going to pick it up at some point, right now I'm debating on if I should get it now or wait for the rest of the episodes to come out.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
I'm not sure, this seems too much like the Walking Dead. While I can dig a good story, I can't dig a story that doesn't really let me change any major plot points or make any big choices. I'll wait until the whole thing comes out, then reconsider, but truth be told I'll probably just watch a Let's Play to find the story out.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I'm glad to see this game getting good reviews it was alot of fun to play

erttheking said:
Wait, is he the wolf from Three Little Pigs or the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood?
He's Both

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
fluxy100 said:

erttheking said:
He's Both
Well that's certainly a way to cut out the middleman. Makes me wonder why he's rooming with one of the pigs then.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Amaror said:
Come on! When you're gonna mention stuff of the comic books mention it before the spoilers.
It's not a huge problem for me, because i went to the telltale forums and the people there also don't like to name their spoilers, but it's a dick move nonetheless.
Well considering that comics mentioned was released 10 FUCKING YEARS AGO, I went out on a limb there and assumed that statute of limitation was out on that one. Also, it happens like 5-6 issues into the story (out of 130 up to date), so it is like spoiling first 10 minutes of the movie?

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
erttheking said:
fluxy100 said:

erttheking said:
He's Both
Well that's certainly a way to cut out the middleman. Makes me wonder why he's rooming with one of the pigs then.
They are not exactly living together, but pig Colin barges in from time to time to guilt-trip Bigby into giving him cigarettes and stuff. You can't call them buddies, but Colin is one of the few Fables who doesn't fear or hate Bigby, and even takes his time to lecture him.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Hawkeye21 said:
Amaror said:
Well considering that comics mentioned was released 10 FUCKING YEARS AGO, I went out on a limb there and assumed that statute of limitation was out on that one. Also, it happens like 5-6 issues into the story (out of 130 up to date), so it is like spoiling first 10 minutes of the movie?
Oh don't come me with: It was released so long ago....
It doesn't matter how long ago these comics were released a big number of people that play the games will not have read the comics.
And i am not mad that you spoiled something from the comics, i am mad because you spoiled information from the comics, that spoil a huge plot point of the game.
namely if snow white is really dead
You spoiled a big revelation that will most likely happen in the games and NO that's not like spoiling the first ten minutes of the movie.
The whole excuse with the issues in that it happened is also pretty stupid.
For example:
I could walk around and tell people that are currently watching the first season that Eddard stark dies in that one.
I mean the book was released 17 Years ago and it's only like 1/7 of the whole story, once GRRM finishes the books, so OBVIOUSLY i wouldn't be spoiling them right?!

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
I absolutely loved this game, can't wait for next episode.

SERIOUS episode 1 spoiler:
So, I've recently read that episode 1 story is canon, which, given that its a prequel, means that Snow White will "get better" at some point. Well, I guess, if she survived having her brains splattered all over with a high-caliber sniper rifle in the comics, decapitation is not THAT much harder to shrug off... I hope, I really liked her character in game.
Yeah maybe but... SERIOUS SPOILERS:
Is this a true Prequel? I didn't get any indication of that... :/ on the other hand, I haven't read much about the game. If that's true I would be really happy, because Snow was/is like my Favorite character in that series and I basically screamed when I saw her head... She did have a very Human reaction to getting shot in the head (being in a coma for weeks) and she still has a scar, so I don't see how she could survive a beheading. On the other hand, Someone said that Fables are really hard to kill when they are well known. The girl with the donkey skin wasn't that well known, so she was offed pretty easily, but Snow White is so well known, that maybe she will "revive" if they find her body. Alternatively, it was all fake, considering the next episode is called "smoke and mirrors".
I guess we'll just have to wait and see... >_>

EDIT: I just realized that she doesn't have the scar in the game, so it actually might be a prequel, or the developers didn't think if that... :p

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Someone here who's read the entire comic? I want to read up a little bit on the characters and the world but I'd like to avoid beginning from the start if possible... I mean it's started in 2002 there must be plenty of issues. So any recommendation where I should start reading?