The World of LordCraft is Coming!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The World of LordCraft is Coming!

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it can also be a great way to get yourself sued or at least yelled at by hordes of angry gamers, as the people behind the new browser-based online game World of LordCraft will probably soon find out.

Yes, that's right, World of LordCraft. Sound familiar? To their credit, the people behind the game don't feign ignorance about the world's most famous MMOG [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com]; in fact, a news post on the site's main page makes a point of acknowledging it. "World of warcraft is a classical game,we all love it . It gives us too much memory about azeroth. But most of people  can`t spent much time in WOW,job and life things allways take too much time.SO,world of loardcraft is coming now," the site says in glorious Engrish.

"World of loardcraft isn`t a copy of wow,It`s a extension and you're gonna love it! World of loardcraft developed by a band of WOW big fans.So we know much more about WOW," it continues. "World of loardcraft is a web game for the people who wanna play WOW but not have enough time. world of lordcraft`s player controls have been far superior to world of warcraft or anyother game.As a web game,world of lordcraft mainly player with mouse,you can spent just a few minutes to play world of lordcraft everyday.One more important change is that world of lordcraft offered two different fight models for player to choose : auto fight model and instantaneous fight model. That`s a new level which world of warcraft and other games far from it."

There's more, but you get the idea. Despite playing up the connection to WoW, the game's creators also take pains to insist that it is actually completely different. World of LordCraft is set in a "new Middle Ages fantastic world ,which totally different from world of warcraft." The game apparently takes place in a world wracked by a great war; as the opposing factions have just about battled themselves to exhaustion, a new enemy - the Demon Legion - attacks from another world, scattering both sides of the conflict. Now you, as a young lord, must lead your people to... Well, to be honest it gets a little hard to follow at that point.

Anyway, the obvious question is, is this real? I think it is; it's a travesty of the English language and the orc on the front page looks a little familiar, but the impression I get is that this is a real game, with real players, and they really want you to sign up and play. Of course, being real and being legitimate are two entirely different things and World of LordCraft has more than a bit of a scammish, Evony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94680-Evony-Sues-Blogger-for-Libel] are word-for-word identical.

Of greater interest, however, is the fact that the terms and conditions of World of LordCraft indicate that the game's online service is run by THS International LLC. According to a quick Google search [http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Company/THS-International.aspx], THS International is, or at least was, a World of Warcraft gold seller that picked up a bit of a reputation in mid-2007 for ripping off its customers.

Intrigued? Appalled? Curious either way? There are a few good laughs to be found at worldoflordcraft.com [http://www.worldoflordcraft.com/] if you're into that sort of thing. Just be careful about handing these guys your credit card number.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Wait, so...

It's a World of Warcraft knock-off in a...browser?
Like a new Runescape or something?
Being published by ex-goldsellers.

Hm...

Oh, nevermind, I get it. It's a browser based game in the Warcraft universe. You know, it's not a terrible idea, but I'd feel better if it was Blizzard doing it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Valiance said:
Hm...

Finally, the decisive battle between the Alliance and the Horde broke out in the center of the land. Both sides gathered the most elite armies, intending to settle the argument once and for all. When the battle turned white-hot, a great number of demons descended from another world. These demons had desired for the continent for a long time. The assault was launched just when the two factions were weak at both sides. Those exhausted soldiers were too astonished to face the Demon Legion, and they instinctively scattered and ran for life.

So, they said this -isn't- world of warcraft? I find that hard to believe.
Wasn't that the intro movie to Warcraft 3?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I was looking up the races...

[link]http://www.worldoflordcraft.com/games/04.htm[/link] Man, don't these faces just looks so unfamiliar to us all?

really?...

C'mon, Goldfarmers, you're normally much craftier than this!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Seeing that it's now Blizzard policy to force users to use a valid email address as their user name on Battlenet 2.0, and all WoW accounts are now Battlenet 2.0, a scheme to capture email addresses and (you know it's going to happen) a few password matches for free is predictable as all get out.

Good legwork on the gold-seller connection, Andy. Given my above details, I think the chance of this being a scam just went from 99% to 99.999%, repeating, of course.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Intrigued? Appalled? Curious either way?
Hugely entertained. Looking forward to more hilarious misdemeanors from the team that brought us Evony.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I...I...Uh...

Wow...

Gotta give 'em credit for being ballsy.

That is to utterly rip off WoW, and claim it's not the same, and have the same races, with shooped faces.

This is just... utter fail. On a stick.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
They try, but fail... That has to be the worst photoshop job i have ever seen(The article picture)

And shouldn't we be alittle more thrown off that in there statement about their connection to WoW they misspelled their own game's name?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I for some reason think of this as being like the MMORPG version of "Hackmaster". I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard is in on it somehow. I would say they certainly were if it was closer to April 1.

That said, consider that we've seen free flash games like "Murloc" that even directly transposed graphics and sound effects from WoW. Then there was some platformer about a fury warrior whose DPS was "Too good" so the GMs stole her offhand, and she was on a quest to kill the GMS to get it back or something....

The bottom line is that it seems Blizzard has been approving of this kind of thing (at least indirectly) for a while.

Also the "auto combat" vs. "instantaneous combat" or whatever sounds like a joke.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
"World of loardcraft isn`t a copy of wow,It`s a extension and you're gonna love it! World of loardcraft developed by a band of WOW big fans.So we know much more about WOW," it continues. "World of loardcraft is a web game for the people who wanna play WOW but not have enough time. world of lordcraft`s player controls have been far superior to world of warcraft or anyother game.As a web game,world of lordcraft mainly player with mouse,you can spent just a few minutes to play world of lordcraft everyday.One more important change is that world of lordcraft offered two different fight models for player to choose : auto fight model and instantaneous fight model. That`s a new level which world of warcraft and other games far from it."
Uh hopefully this isn't a direct quote. Otherwise it's some pretty damn poor English; "World of loardcraft is a web game for the people who wanna play WOW but no have enough time". Hell why even bother capitalizing and using punctuation if you're gonna spell your own title wrong. Outsourcing jobs ftl?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It's just another Evony by the looks of it.

You say the privacy policy is the same, and the people behind Evony were part of a massive gold selling scam too.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Hiphophippo said:

Not World of Warcraft.

Right.

Gotcha
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THOSE TERRAINS LOOKS STRAIGHT OUT OF HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3. I CALL BULLSHIT!!!