The World's Top Five Selling Games of Q3

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
The World's Top Five Selling Games of Q3

Buried amongst the latest data on industry sales trends for the third-quarter, we find the five best selling games worldwide. Care for some Football anyone?

Videogame sales from July to September in the world's three largest gaming markets (U.S., Europe, and Japan) show only a one-percent overall growth, according to the latest data from the NPD Group [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/madden-tops-q3-global-report-as-west-shows-growth-but-japan-declines/?biz=1]. Still, gamers spoke with their wallets, and those wallets screamed "Madden!"

EA's Madden franchise clearly dominated worldwide game sales for the third-quarter. Madden NFL 09 came in first among the top five best selling games at 2.994 million units sold between the three major markets. Nintendo's Wii Fit came in second with 2.089 million units sold. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed placed third in sales with 1.738 million units. The Japan-only Pokemon Platinum made fourth by moving 1.482 million units. Last and least, Mario Kart Wii sold 1.468 million copies.

In most cases, U.S. sales accounted for a substantial number of each game's total sale in the three markets. Madden NFL 09 moved 2.958 units in the U.S. - the bulk of the copies sold in the U.S. Wii Fit and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold well more than half of their total units in the U.S. and Mario Kart didn't do too bad either.

Given the glut of awesome games flooding the market in the annual bustle leading up to the holidays, it should be interesting to see what titles will come out on top for the fourth-quarter. Any predictions?

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
I guess having star wars in a games title really helps sales. The game was not all that fantastic, but it sold a ton.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
A japan-only game in the top 5.. anyone here Japanese who can tell me if the game was just THAT amazing or if pokemon is just THAT essential?

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Avida said:
A japan-only game in the top 5.. anyone here Japanese who can tell me if the game was just THAT amazing or if pokemon is just THAT essential?
Pokémon is one of the greatest cash cows in existence. It doesn't matter that it's basically the same game as Diamond & Pearl, people will buy it anyway (and not only in Japan).

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Why. Why are sports games so popular? Oh well, I'll just seethe later about that, more importantly why is pokemon still popular?