The worst and most pointless weapon in any game.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Timedraven 117 said:
Laspistol from 40K. You DID say any game. But oh wait it doesn't count since its used as a laser pointer that can kill someone.

"A weapon cannot substitute for zeal."
(And if that does not work)
"What I cannot crush with words I will crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"

OT: I'll add another tally for the plasma pistol. Or the magnum in Halo 2 and 3--it's relatively useless unless you dual wield with something more powerful.
For my own originality, the Boston Basher from TF2: it's for the scout, who moves around fast, and if you miss (which would be often) you hurt yourself. Not really worth it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The vibrator in GTA San Andreas was aweful. Yes its kind of a joke weapon but at least the big purple dildo did some damage. The vibrator was just a waste of time.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
mtcp122 said:
Isalan said:
No love for the Bio Rifle from the UT series? Instant switch back to the starting pistol if I grabbed that one.

Grenades from Worms too, though that is specifically in my hands. I CANNOT land a decent grenade to save my life in that game.
I enjoyed using the bio rifle actually. Maybe I'm just a freak or something, but I liked it and put it to decent use. Granted it isn't my first choice weapon (flak cannon takes that piece of cake) but I was able to put it to good use.

And yea, almost never used the grenades, always used rockets.
The Bio-rifle while not great is decent if you use smartly. It is terrible at direct combat, but backpedal and leave a trail of slime and you can do serious damage and kill with it. IN UT the only one I don't use (outside of joke play) is the Shield Gun. THe damage reduction is useless compared to good movement and steady aim; zero rangemeans it is useless. Granades you can still use (not reliable) but the Shield Gun (or POwer Jack) is completely useless.

ALso, joke weapons in Soul Calibur.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Spark Shot from Mega Man 3.
It stuns an enemy in place. No, you cannot do damage to it while they're stunned. No you cannot change weapons. And most things you want to stun cannot be jumped over very easily if at all.
(and after experimentation, Top Spin is definitively NOT AT ALL useless)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
See, there are quite a few useless weapons I can think of. But they're all also wonderfully hilarious, and I wouldn't call them "useless" by any stretch! Duke's foot in DN3D, quite a few of the more bizarre Ratchet & Clank and Worms weapons, almost half the inventory in the Metal Gear Solid games. Useless. Utterly useless; or, they have a use not ever explicitly called for. But damn if they aren't a fuckton of fun anyway. So... yeah. I can't bring myself to shame them so.

I guess games where they have like, a pistol, and then a slightly better pistol? I guess the first pistol is useless now? But that's not even bad, either, it's just kind of... boring.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Cpu46 said:
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Plasma pistol from Halo. The charge is decent enough to take out armour shields, but don't expect to do much killing with it.
Would like to interject. While the plasma pistol was "weak" it had the benefit of not having a limit (or having a really small limit) to its rate of fire, every trigger press causes a shot to fire. Everyone is always so focused on the charge mechanic that they never realize that it has the potential to do a TON of damage in seconds, double that if dual wielding. Made both campaign and multiplayer a lot easier when you have the ability to start with your ace in the hole.

I tend to not have "pointless weapons". I like switching up my playstyles rapidly and will often times grab the weakest weapon and use it as a primary until I get good with it. Messes with my friends and competitors a lot.
Congratulations on being the 8th person to mention that to me today. I get it. Read the other posts. The Plasma pistol isn't that bad or even useless, just personally my least used Halo weapon.
I did read them, after I posted. Sorry to increase the flood into your inbox but I lost the patience to read the entirety of a thread before going back to reply to someone a long time ago. I've been on the receiving end of it as well, it tends to come with posting on the first page of a thread.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
The Service Rifle in Fallout: New Vegas.

I like it in theory; an AR-15 with wood furniture, nice! But its stats are garbage. Contrary to the unwritten rule that a rifle either be powerful/accurate OR rapid fire, it does nothing well. It's technically semi-auto, but its fire rate is capped so hard that you can't squeeze off shots rapidly; it's barely any faster than the manually operated lever-action guns. Its damage is so low that it can't pierce leather armor reliably, and makes the NCR troopers who use it woefully ineffective against Legion soldiers (who wear light armor improvised from sports gear). It does half as much damage and has 9 times as much spread as its 'cowboy' equivalent, the 1800s relic Cowboy Repeater.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Shotguns. Almost every game that features one is hilariously terrible. There's no game I wanted to use the shotgun... excluding Black because it sounds like a grenade going off and blows people away in the most amusing way. I'd trade it out for an SMG first chance I got in any other game. SMGs also obliterate anyone close to you on top of being effective enough at medium range.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
WouldYouKindly said:
Shotguns. Almost every game that features one is hilariously terrible. There's no game I wanted to use the shotgun... excluding Black because it sounds like a grenade going off and blows people away in the most amusing way. I'd trade it out for an SMG first chance I got in any other game. SMGs also obliterate anyone close to you on top of being effective enough at medium range.
It depends on the type of game you're playing and on what map. Shotguns, when done right, can kill in one, maybe two shots. Like in Rainbow Six Vegas 2 I almost exclusively use shotguns because I know how to use cover to just get within range without being seen or at least not getting shot and anyone who gets close up to me goes down rather fast.

OT: The revolver from timesplitters 2 and timesplitters future perfect. In ts2 it was great when you could dual wield them, but in future perfect they were just pitiful because you could only use one at a time. I think it may just be the worst weapon in that game actually. And the only weapon in that game I don't enjoy using, which is really saying something.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Bows in Fire Emblem: Everything they can do, tomes and magic can do better. The longbow isn't a good edge.

Microwave Emitter from Fallout 3: Only works half of the time and needs VATS to be effective.

The silenced .22 pistol from New Vegas for needing a clip to kill radroaches on easy.

The Syringe gun from TF2 with its low damage and projectile fall.

Flamethrower from Halo 3 will only kill those in tight spots.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The AR-55 from Saints Row the Third once you upgrade it as well as all the laser weapons from that game as well. The AR-55 is good when you first get it, but once it gets the five round bust it's just a waste of time and money, and if I wanted to hit something from long distance I would just use my sniper rifle. The laser weapons are useless because they overheat too quickly and take forever to cool back down.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
TheMigrantSoldier said:
The silenced .22 pistol from New Vegas for needing a clip to kill radroaches on easy.
It hits like a truck with crits though. It can oneshot any weak human enemy, which makes it really great for the Bison Steve in Primm in particular.
Fijiman said:
The laser weapons are useless because they overheat too quickly and take forever to cool back down.
They're useless against human enemies, but they do a ton of damage to vehicles. You can shoot a tank to death with the laser AR.
Random berk said:
Once again, I am talking about shooting without VATS. I was using the rifle's scope. And it cannot hit shit.
That sounds like an issue with your system or game. I can land maximum draw distance shots 90% of the time with the Ratslayer Varmint Rifle or the Gobi Scout Rifle, on the Xbox version of NV.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
rutger5000 said:
That's very easy. Avo's tear or Sword of Aeons from Fable. Both swords are the ultimate goals of the game, and especially the Sword of Aeons is central to the plot. However neither are as strong as Solus greatsword. A sword that can just be bought if you have the gold. However gold is meaningless in fable due to the market exploit.
So Avo's tear and the Sword of Aeons are both massive dissapointments.
canadamus_prime said:
Esp. since they nerfed the Sword of Aeons in Lost Chapters.
False. The Solus Greatsword was a heavy weapon and, thus, had all the problems of such. Heavy weapons have a slow swing (you could land 2 blows with the Avo's Tear/Sword of Aeons by the time the Solus finished up its swing) and if you got hit with one out, you could be caught in a very annoying stunlock if an enemy decides he wants to hit you again. The AT/SoA had none of that crap and also had one of the best combination of augments. (Experience, Health, and Mana) The Solus may do more damage in one swing but the AT/SoA had higher DPS with none of the drawbacks of a heavy weapon and some nice bonuses.

Also, the Sword of Aeons, both visual and story wise, was just completely boss.

Well, looks like you really... *puts on sunglasses* created a fable.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Shanicus said:
The Sniper Rifle and Assault Rifle from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The Sinper Rifle is massive, is only an insta-kill on head-shot/gangers (and even then some enemies survive the headshot), isn't silenced so everyone knows exactly where you are as soon as you fire it and has fairly uncommon ammo. It looks cool, but it's completely outclassed by the Tranq Rifle in terms of sniping (it's smaller, more common ammo and is a guaranteed takedown on any enemy).

The Assault Rifle, on the other hand, is totally outclassed by the basic pistol you get really early in the game - it can be silenced, sure, but outside a headshot the silencer is useless, as shooting an enemy 3-4 times non-lethally alerts them. Meanwhile the pistol is a 1HKO with the armor upgrade against everything but the heavies, is also silent, smaller and has massive amounts of ammo in the early levels. If you really want a rapid-fire weapon, just grab the Heavy Rifle - more damage, more ammo and insanely accurate when upgraded. There is just zero reason to use the Assault Rifle in DE:HR.
If you really want to deal damage in that game, I recommend the shotgun, fully upgraded, and with the "burst" upgrade. That thing is an absolute beast, doesn't take up much room, and can stop pretty much anything. I used it on every boss battle I fought during my stealth run.

OT: Pointless weapons? I'ma put my chips on the golden sword from minecraft. It does the exact same damage as the wood sword, has about half the durability, and is 100x harder to make than a wood sword. Sure it may be in the theme of a realistic portrayal of gold, but it is completely redundant and near useless.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Bows in Fire Emblem: Everything they can do, tomes and magic can do better. The longbow isn't a good edge.

Microwave Emitter from Fallout 3: Only works half of the time and needs VATS to be effective.

The Syringe gun from TF2 with its low damage and projectile fall.

Flamethrower from Halo 3 will only kill those in tight spots.

Bows are great against Pegasus knights who have high magic resistance

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Alloy cannon, that is all.