The worst and most pointless weapon in any game.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
WanderingFool said:
The combat shotgun from FO3 (my sneezes in game where more effective.)
The Combat Shotgun decimates, its the saw off which does nothing.

Also the 9mm in New Vegas given that you can get a 10mm after about 5 minutes of game time

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
MrBenSampson said:
The Fat Man in FO3. It's way too heavy, does far more damage than is necessary, and there are only 99 mini-nukes to be found in the vanilla game. It's the weapon that I feel compelled to save for the moment that I would need it, but that moment never comes. I used it once as a last resort when I got swarmed by a horde of feral ghoul reavers. I actually would have been fine without it, if one of the reavers didn't glitch, and dodge almost every round fired at it.
It's still much better than the MIRV, which shoots 8 mini nukes at a time.
THAT moment never comes, ever, and the effort that goes into this thing never pays off. If two fatman shots won't help, this won't either.

Strangely, when I cheated just to screw around with the MIRV, it was amazing how often enemies survived it. If it was a bigger group, some of them were almost guaranteed to avoid it. Thanks to the spread, strong enemies that weren't hit directly sometimes randomly survived, when a fatman could easily splatter them. Complete waste of time and ammo, but fun if you don't mind cheating.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Random berk said:
My name is Fiction said:
Random berk said:
The sniper rifles in Fallout. What's the point in having a sniper scope if your shots hit or miss based on a statistic? Completely pointless.

Also the sword in Assassin's Creed. Yeah, it's basically the most deadly close combat weapon ever concieved short of a lightsaber thanks to AC's fight mechanics, but it does exactly the same thing as the long knife, with the same level of effectiveness, and the knife looks cooler. In fact, I'm pretty sure the knife is faster in AC: Revelations.
Which fallout are we talking about?
Fallout 3 and New Vegas. As I recall it basically had the same problem in both. I was able to hit targets with a hunting rifle at the same range more reliably than I could hit them with a sniper rifle in 3.
The sniper rifles in New vagas are practicaly over powered, the antimatterial rifle with explosive rounds could oneshot deathclaws if you was lucky. The gauss rifle, holo rifle, and the YCS WERE over powered. Higher scaling with energy weapons, easier ammo to find, convert, and upgrade, and with lower requirments to use you could speed run to them and vaporize anything. On varyhard mode the CVS could 3 shot deathclaws depending on damage modifying perks.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Metro 2033's AK2012, it lacks stopping power and eats ammo while you need to conserve ammo...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The Knife from Resident Evil 2 - No way would fighting with it be worth the health loss or time.

The Chinese Pistol from Fallout 3 - I'm pretty sure it's the weapon no one could use even if they wanted to. Not even its unique version was any good, and it used the ammo your vastly superior 10mm pistol used and that's the first gun you get.

Why bethesda gave you the best pistol in the game to start out, I have no idea. Adding in others seems silly.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The Loch & Load from TF2. It's a grenade launcher that only has 2 shots that only explode if they directly hit a target and will shatter if they hit a wall, and it causes you to lose one of the stock grenade launcher's greatest strengths which is the ability to shoot around corners. Also from TF2 The Claidheamh Mor, it's a sword that lowers your health by 15 points and can not deal critical hits and the only positive point is that your charge time with Demo man shields is half a second longer.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Easton Dark said:
The Knife from Resident Evil 2 - No way would fighting with it be worth the health loss or time.

The Chinese Pistol from Fallout 3 - I'm pretty sure it's the weapon no one could use even if they wanted to. Not even its unique version was any good, and it used the ammo your vastly superior 10mm pistol used and that's the first gun you get.

Why bethesda gave you the best pistol in the game to start out, I have no idea. Adding in others seems silly.
What's even sillier is how the chinese pistol is inferior to the BB gun.
I suppose the chinese pistol and the .32 revolver suck so much, only to gimp the low level raiders who are equiped with these.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
Pistol from Singularity

Never have i seen a pistol that looks as cool and feels so useless, atleast it was one of those 2 weapons only games so I got rid of it and never saw it again after the beginning.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Random berk said:
My name is Fiction said:
Random berk said:
The sniper rifles in Fallout. What's the point in having a sniper scope if your shots hit or miss based on a statistic? Completely pointless.

Also the sword in Assassin's Creed. Yeah, it's basically the most deadly close combat weapon ever concieved short of a lightsaber thanks to AC's fight mechanics, but it does exactly the same thing as the long knife, with the same level of effectiveness, and the knife looks cooler. In fact, I'm pretty sure the knife is faster in AC: Revelations.
Which fallout are we talking about?
Fallout 3 and New Vegas. As I recall it basically had the same problem in both. I was able to hit targets with a hunting rifle at the same range more reliably than I could hit them with a sniper rifle in 3.
That is a very odd problem you've got there... I mean, V.A.T.S. didn't make use of scopes in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 did (increased accuracy at long range, no accuracy at short range), but if you use scoped rifles guns (forgot about the scoped magnum for a sec there) in first person, it doesn't base your accuracy on just a roll... they're really for making sneak attacks at extreme range (like, beyond the point where the enemy would even render without the scope).

I'm gonna go with the ".32 pistol" in Fallout 3. For a revolver that's apparently firing .32 long colt (judging by its commonality and use in hunting rifles), it did really, really shitty damage. 6 to the 10mm pistol's 9(with more common ammo)... that wouldn't qualify it for "worst weapon in the game" if that ammo didn't also load into an infinitely more useful weapon: the hunting rifle. This takes the base damage of ".32 caliber" from 6 to 25. Get your hands on ol' Painless, and that goes up to 30 (and puts spread to zero).
In short, firing a .32 pistol in Fallout 3 is nothing more than a horrible waste of very useful ammo... one that's not likely to kill anything bigger than a radroach. Kinda like the Chinese pistol, only the ammo is more useful and slightly rarer.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
That's very easy. Avo's tear or Sword of Aeons from Fable. Both swords are the ultimate goals of the game, and especially the Sword of Aeons is central to the plot. However neither are as strong as Solus greatsword. A sword that can just be bought if you have the gold. However gold is meaningless in fable due to the market exploit.
So Avo's tear and the Sword of Aeons are both massive dissapointments.

PanYue

Dec 3, 2011
The Blooper in Mario Kart 7. My friends and I love it because it doesn't impede us in any shape or form. But maybe that's just us - so we love going "Hey, ___! GUESS WHAT! BLOOPER!"

"NOOOooooo!"

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
The scoped rifles from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Even on a character that put quite a lot of points into the guns skills, the scope drift was, without exageration, around 45 degrees.

Guns in general were borked in that game. In theory they were supposed to be bad against vamps and good against humans, but in practice you were better of pumeling humans with your fists anyway. The only reason to train guns so you can get the flamethrower in the end game, everything else sucks.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
shootthebandit said:
Any anti-aircraft weapon in BF3. Flares and ECM just block it and heaven forbid you actually get a hit you will get kicked by the admin who is currently going 100-1 in the helicopter
I've got a handful of kills with the AA weapons in BF3. Mostly with the emplacements and the mobile AA, but I've got about 5-10 with the stinger and it's Russian equivalent. Not once been kicked while playing dedicated AA or even combat w/ AA. I think you've just had bad luck. Though with the later patches getting AA kills has been getting more and more difficult.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Gravity Gun from Half Life 2.
A weapon which relies upon conveniently placed Saw Blades and Propane tanks lying around is not a weapon I want to be going up against the enemy with.
My thoughts exactly.

How about the Handgun from Worms? In the only situation where it would be useful, a prod would suffice

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
loc978 said:
That is a very odd problem you've got there... I mean, V.A.T.S. didn't make use of scopes in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 did (increased accuracy at long range, no accuracy at short range), but if you use scoped rifles guns (forgot about the scoped magnum for a sec there) in first person, it doesn't base your accuracy on just a roll... they're really for making sneak attacks at extreme range (like, beyond the point where the enemy would even render without the scope).
That's exactly the kind of shot I'm talking about though. At anything outside of point blank range I can place the crosshairs of the scope on a Deathclaw's face, of centre mass, whatever. The shot won't hit it. I aim over it's head, no luck. In fact no matter where around it I aim, it takes no damage. And of course there's no animation for the shot hitting the ground, so I can't adjust the aim for gravity or wind or whatever. It could take me fifteen shots before I find the magical arbitrary pixel I have to accidentally hit in order to make the target take any damage.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I think you guys are all way off. The problem is that everything I've seen in this thread can kill or at least potentially contribute to an enemy dying. In Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (NES) however, you start off with a stick that you use to jab at the people who run up and take a swipe at you. Except it does nothing. At all. It doesn't even shoo-away the little kids. The only weapon you get in the game as the Doctor and it's completely useless. Until you find out it kills bees. That's it. It kills bees, if you happen to get one at perfect waist-height.

/Dropmic

killakan11

Jun 30, 2010
Timedraven 117 said:
The hidden skulls in the Halo games. They are a weapon technically and they just act as a bashing weapon.

Laspistol from 40K. You DID say any game. But oh wait it doesn't count since its used as a laser pointer that can kill someone.
You call them flashlights. I call them 30 Armour saves!

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Random berk said:
That is if you use VATS. You do realize you could just shoot without using VATS right? And that a scope would actually come in handy in such a case o_x

Bonemeal

Mar 12, 2008
I would say that the fireballs from Ghosts 'n' Goblins would have to be up there. They're weak, difficult to aim, and a strict downgrade from the default weapon. No idea why it exists at all except as a "ha ha, gotcha!" put there by Capcom to rob players of the vastly superior throwing knife item at the worst possible moment.