The worst and most pointless weapon in any game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Random berk said:
loc978 said:
That is a very odd problem you've got there... I mean, V.A.T.S. didn't make use of scopes in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 did (increased accuracy at long range, no accuracy at short range), but if you use scoped rifles guns (forgot about the scoped magnum for a sec there) in first person, it doesn't base your accuracy on just a roll... they're really for making sneak attacks at extreme range (like, beyond the point where the enemy would even render without the scope).
That's exactly the kind of shot I'm talking about though. At anything outside of point blank range I can place the crosshairs of the scope on a Deathclaw's face, of centre mass, whatever. The shot won't hit it. I aim over it's head, no luck. In fact no matter where around it I aim, it takes no damage. And of course there's no animation for the shot hitting the ground, so I can't adjust the aim for gravity or wind or whatever. It could take me fifteen shots before I find the magical arbitrary pixel I have to accidentally hit in order to make the target take any damage.
hmmm... I might just be too used to having the fallout script extender and various ballistics mods installed. I think I remember something like a stupidly short maximum weapon range being built into the vanilla game (in which case, it's not a roll screwing you, it's an arbitrary rule designed to make up for the vanilla game's shitty AI). Are you by chance playing on PC? Because that problem is totally fixable (kind of like the invisible wall problem in New Vegas. I believe the nocol mod was out within a week of release).

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
ItsNotRudy said:
Random berk said:
The sniper rifles in Fallout. What's the point in having a sniper scope if your shots hit or miss based on a statistic? Completely pointless.
That is if you use VATS. You do realize you could just shoot without using VATS right? And that a scope would actually come in handy in such a case o_x
Once again, I am talking about shooting without VATS. I was using the rifle's scope. And it cannot hit shit.

loc978 said:
hmmm... I might just be too used to having the fallout script extender and various ballistics mods installed. I think I remember something like a stupidly short maximum weapon range being built into the vanilla game (in which case, it's not a roll screwing you, it's an arbitrary rule designed to make up for the vanilla game's shitty AI). Are you by chance playing on PC? Because that problem is totally fixable.
Playing on the 360, unfortunately. I have heard all about the mods for PC versions, but my PC is from the Stone Age. Though I might fix that, now that the new console generation is out.

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
The flamethrower from GTA 3.

It has a range of about 6 feet, you have to stand still to use it, it's hard to tell what you're shooting at or if you're hitting anything, and you'll probably end up just lighting yourself on fire.

Although I don't like flamethrowers much in general, considering even a tiny fire can take away a decent chunk of your health in most games.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh, I thought of another one. The stun pistol in Metroid: Zero Mission. The thing only actually does ANYTHING when at full charge, which takes several seconds, and even then it only stuns the enemies for like 5 seconds. And when you have a whole horde descending on your ass which you usually do the moment one of them spies so much as your toenail then you might as well not bother and just run like hell.

rutger5000 said:
That's very easy. Avo's tear or Sword of Aeons from Fable. Both swords are the ultimate goals of the game, and especially the Sword of Aeons is central to the plot. However neither are as strong as Solus greatsword. A sword that can just be bought if you have the gold. However gold is meaningless in fable due to the market exploit.
So Avo's tear and the Sword of Aeons are both massive dissapointments.
Esp. since they nerfed the Sword of Aeons in Lost Chapters.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
crazyarms33 said:
As mentioned, the Klobb from Golden Eye 64.
The Executioner in Black Ops 2.
Almost any laser gun.
The silenced 10mm pistol from Fallout
The Executioner? I don't know what your on about, but I used that along with my bigger rifles as my go to weapon in ranked matches. Than thing was completely brutal.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
0takuMetalhead said:
Metro 2033's AK2012, it lacks stopping power and eats ammo while you need to conserve ammo...
I had the opposite experience with this weapon. It did more damage than the 6-shot shotgun, had a larger clip and better fire-rate, plus you could use the military-grade ammo for it. That's 2033 though. If you're talking about Last Light, I agree 100%. The 2012 in Last Light is GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAAAGE!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Clowndoe said:
Nope sorry, as pathetic an attack as the cane is, the Earthworm Jim 2's Bubble Gun still beats it (in a manner of speaking).

Not only can it not hurt or even mildly distract anything, let alone kill, it has no use whatsoever, nothing at all. And because firing a weapon stops your from moving, it actually leaves you more vulnerable.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
shrekfan246 said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I just have it as the secondary shield and swap to it when I think I've cleared most of an area out and don't want to waste an Estus Flask if I've taken damage.
snip
Well,
I realise that they didn't want a repeat of the regen builds from DeS or for anything to be able to out-heal Power Within,
That's the point though.

There are plenty of ways to quickly get health back if you really need it, constant regen during combat that can outheal whatever damage you're taking if you're really defensive would trivialize most of the challenge of the game. As fun as some people might find completely breaking the difficulty curve of a game, I'm pretty sure that's not what the developers wanted to happen. It would have broken any PvP as well, because there would be Phantoms invading who could just regen more damage than the person they've invaded could deal out, and/or every single person would need to carry regen items equipped on them at all times. As it stands, I think the items are all balanced rather nicely with each other. There are perks and bonuses to using one thing over another, and sure you'll occasionally find weapons or armor that're just straight better than whatever you've equipped, but there are plenty of things you'll find that will make you consider what you gain and lose by swapping for it, which is how RPGs should work rather than all of the silly bloated upgrades plaguing practically every other RPG on the market.
I agree, out-healing poison and toxic at the same time is ridiculous, it was overpowered in DeS, all of that. But the solution isn't nerfing it to uselessness. The Sanctus, Server and Butcher's Knife could all be a little better without being ridiculously applicable. It should also heal a percentage of maximum health to avoid being overpowered on low-health builds and keep regen consistent. And maybe regen could scale with faith so that only some builds would be able to viably regenerate. Basically, I'm saying it's underpowered, you're saying it shouldn't be overpowered, and in the end, although I'd prefer uselessness to invincibility, I'd like it to be just a little better so it can compete. I'm not suggesting there be consumable Regeneration, or that there be a ring to grant regeneration, just that the Sanctus and heal-on-hit weapons be balanced.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Plasma pistol from Halo. The charge is decent enough to take out armour shields, but don't expect to do much killing with it.
In Combat Evolved the Plasma Pistol was a bit overpowered (especially when used with a pistol). From Halo 2 on it was nerfed to the point that it had become useless.

A level-one Whip in Castlevania. It's not useless but if you die while fighting a boss and can't find the upgrades then you know what I mean.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
The Vox Populi weapons in BioShock Infinite waere pretty pointless, especially the Burst Gun. Man, is that thing useless.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Plasma pistol from Halo. The charge is decent enough to take out armour shields, but don't expect to do much killing with it.
I disagree. Years ago I got through the whole Truth and Reconciliation chapter on legendary using a plasma pistol only. Usefull as hell with taking out shields and finishing the job. Not so much on the later games though when it's an utter piece of shit.

The magnum on Halo 2 was useless too because by the time you get it you're already on the Halo with much better weapons lying around everywhere.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
Easton Dark said:
The Knife from Resident Evil 2 - No way would fighting with it be worth the health loss or time.

The Chinese Pistol from Fallout 3 - I'm pretty sure it's the weapon no one could use even if they wanted to. Not even its unique version was any good, and it used the ammo your vastly superior 10mm pistol used and that's the first gun you get.

Why bethesda gave you the best pistol in the game to start out, I have no idea. Adding in others seems silly.
Oh I don't know about that, the 44. kicked plenty of ass in that game.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Didn't they give you the option to spit on enemy zombies in Dead Rising?
It's hard to think of something more pointless than that.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
False, it's the only reason I managed to beat legendary. I didn't overcharge it much, I just spammed the trigger, as it took only 7 shots to kill anything that was unarmoured or unshielded. It had more shots than the plasma rifle, and it was the most effective weapon vs. elites bar the plasma grenade.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
crazyarms33 said:
As mentioned, the Klobb from Golden Eye 64.
The Executioner in Black Ops 2.
Almost any laser gun.
The silenced 10mm pistol from Fallout
Really any laser gun? A bit broad there don't ya think?

OT: I never found the green shells in mario cart games to be the greatest.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
*throws smoke grenade*

*still gets murdered by enemies who supposedly should not be able to see me*

If you aren't going to make it effective, why even bother including it?

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
Silver Surfer for the SNES. Any attack was almost pointless unless you had a controller with rapid fire. If you had a rapid fire controller, then the attacks became semi-pointless. ;p OH, and the starting pistol in Clive Barker's undying. That think was awful (that said, that was probably the point, but damn).

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Would like to interject. While the plasma pistol was "weak" it had the benefit of not having a limit (or having a really small limit) to its rate of fire, every trigger press causes a shot to fire. Everyone is always so focused on the charge mechanic that they never realize that it has the potential to do a TON of damage in seconds, double that if dual wielding. Made both campaign and multiplayer a lot easier when you have the ability to start with your ace in the hole.

I tend to not have "pointless weapons". I like switching up my playstyles rapidly and will often times grab the weakest weapon and use it as a primary until I get good with it. Messes with my friends and competitors a lot.