The Worst Game Trailers

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah but, imagine if movie trailers did this. Maybe game trailers should only show actual, like, in-game footage from now on instead of trying to be so dramatic for marketing bs.
Movie trailers are different in that you can only show what's representative of the actual product with any sort of credibility without going the route of teasers that only suggest a film's existence. One could argue that movie trailers can show the best of a film, like all the action sequences, CGI and such, but that's not dishonest, only willfully omissive. Video games have the luxury of being able to show cinematic suggestions of their content, and the onus falls on the consumer to decide if what's been teased is worth their investment. Dead Island showed an island resort full of zombies; the game was an island resort full of zombies... and people complained.

I guess car commercials shouldn't show their vehicles off-roading in beautiful and exotic locales since most will be used for daily commutes in shit cities to workaday jobs and toting kids to and from soccer practice.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Movie trailers are different in that you can only show what's representative of the actual product with any sort of credibility without going the route of teasers that only suggest a film's existence. One could argue that movie trailers can show the best of a film, like all the action sequences, CGI and such, but that's not dishonest, only willfully omissive. Video games have the luxury of being able to show cinematic suggestions of their content, and the onus falls on the consumer to decide if what's been teased is worth their investment. Dead Island showed an island resort full of zombies; the game was an island resort full of zombies... and people complained.

I guess car commercials shouldn't show their vehicles off-roading in beautiful and exotic locales since most will be used for daily commutes in shit cities to workaday jobs and toting kids to and from soccer practice.

With a car ad equivalent, the cars shown would be something you could never drive, .

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I'd agree, except for one small thing: The tone of the trailer was completely different than the game's. It's like you'd have a movie trailer that presents something akin to "The Road", but the movie itself is like "The Dawn of the Dead".

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm surprised no one has put this yet. Ironically, my mum probably would have just laughed at this game, at how over the top some of it was.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm surprised no one has put this yet. Ironically, my mum probably would have just laughed at this game, at how over the top some of it was.

I wanted to give someone else a chance. I know my mom cannot handle Dead Space. She does not like zombies of any kind.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
More recent trailer

Bad graphics aside, I just can't get over the fact that Andy Serkis isn't the voice of Gollum here, or someone that sounds like him.