The worst game you have ever played.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
Probably Dragon Age Origins. That game was so fucking uninspired. It gave me cancer. It killed my family. It assassinated the arch duke Ferdinand. But worse of all? It was really, really boring.
Dragon Age Origins was the best game Bioware game they made since Baldur's Gate 2.

Because it had choices and concequences and multiple endings.

I just hate the fact that people call what is clearly technically good games and say "ITS THE WORSE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!"

I mean I dislike The Last of Us (mostly because of that little shit Ellie) but even I recognize on a technical level its a good game.
I don't think Dragon Age is broken on a technical level. I don't The Hobbit, or Fuse are technically broken. They're something much worse. They're completely mediocre and boring. In the case of Dragon Age it's totally derivative. Another tolkienesque fantasy game where elves, dwarves, and men fight orcs. It's just so boring. Besides, it is one of the worst games I've ever played. Not on any kind of objective level, but on a personal one. I, personally, hated every moment I spent playing it. I had a worse time then I did with the utterly broken Ride to Hell. Maybe you loved it. Good for you, I guess. I hated it.

Personally, I think pitifully mediocre is the worst thing you can be.

Spakko

Oct 28, 2014
Hmm... okay, it's not the worst game i've ever played but it's pretty bad and the first that pops up in my mind and nobody mentioned before. So here we go:

Ever heard of Dungeon Lords? Came out back in 2005 i think. Oh boy! That was a snoreburger with a side order of bug fries. Horribly unnfinished, buggy and incredibly boooooooring!

Most NPCs got stuck in walls, furniture, doors, rocks, and your Avatar... if they showed up at all. Quest items just disappearing from your inventory at random. Doors that would not open and doors that would open but lead to absolutely nothing.

When i had enough of it, i ran into the dark Woods, hoping some random monster would end my misery. And lo and behold, a Dragon appeared... aaaand got stuck between a tree and some shrubbery. It tried to kill me with a forklift some fireballs but they were no match against the little bush i was hiding behind... but for some reason i could shoot through the bush with my bow just fine. After 10 minutes of bush-penetration-with-my-starting-bow i killed the Dragon and gained enough XP to raise 20 Levels at once.
I took that as a clear win over this game, ended on a "high note", deleted this crap and never touched it again.

Frankster said:
pookie101 said:
as for my suggestion, its an old game .. phantasmagoria 2 a puzzle of flesh.. a main character who is completely obnoxious and unlikable and some of the worst FMV acting full stop
On the bright side, it did give rise to a really hilarious Spoony lp, ah what a golden age that was..
"...but seriously Trevor, never tell that potato Story again!" *sniffle* I miss Trevor and his potato stories. Well, that and Spoonys riffing...

*sigh*

FalloutJack said:
Hellooo, I'm the FF8 Rant Guy. I make fun of it, so you don't have to!
Timing!

Ahem, sorry about that but whenever i look at your Avatar picture i just feel the urge to prank call the enclave.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Star Trek: Starship Creator. I never miss an opportunity to shit on this game in public forums. It's hard to convey it's awfulness with text without resorting to hyperbole.

You design a ship, select a crew and then assign it a mission. And then you can sort of watch it do a mission from an overhead view. You can sort of read about what it's doing. I realize that might sound alright but it's not. It's like watching star trek from 30 feet away on mute and without any actors or special effects or plot.

I used it as a coaster for a while but it made me upset so I threw it out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Spakko said:
prank call the enclave.
*Ring, Ring... Ring, Ring...*

*Pick-Up*

Pretty sure he takes all of our calls, and so we don't get much flak down at the base.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Rangaman said:
Not the worst game ever, but the worst one you've actually played. It need not be the least functional, but the one that is..just the worst.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is probably mine. Good god that game was awful.
I've played that and I've played Sonic and the Black Knight and of those, I would say Secret Rings is the less functional. I really didn't like either of those games...

---

Ultraman on the Super Nintendo. It's a fighting game featuring a giant hero fighting giant monsters but instead of ripping off Street Fighter (the obvious move for a fighting game that wants to be successful) the makers of Ultraman on the Super Nintendo decided to make the slowest fighting game of all time. Then when you get your opponent's life bar at 0 you have to use a super move to finish the match. If YOUR life bar hits 0 that's the end, no super move required. What's that? You rented the game, lack the manual and don't know how to use super moves? Well fuck you! Have fun on level 1 for all eternity! What's that? Multiplayer!? There's only 1 Ultraman and no your friends can't play as the monsters!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Probably Body Harvest, though I didn't play it long enough to give it a fair assessment. Similar 'prizes' go to Sonic and the Secret Rings and Hugo (a GBC game).

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
"Let's list a popular game so that my choice feels cool and edgy" - is what I feel half of these suggestions are. Dragon Age Origins? FF8? Tomb Raider Reboot? Seriously? I can only assume you people haven't played many games.

OT: 'Yoshi Touch and Go' on the DS.

It was a very early title for the DS, so of course it had to use every fucking gimmicky feature from the console. And that wouldn't be overly bad, except it utilizes all of the features.. Badly.

The entirety of the gameplay is drawing clouds with the touchscreen to slowly guide Yoshi/Baby Mario through an autoscroller, it's gameplay as shallow as Superman 64. You're given very little time to actually react to anything, there's occasional unavoidable bullshit that's thrown at you, and the game is extremely short to the point where it could be confused as a demo.

But the worst part? One feature of the game is that blowing into the DS mic will erase all of the clouds that you've drawn. And what sucks about this is that it doesn't work properly. It literally screws you over if the mic detects the slightest bullshit. I've had it erase shit because I've:

-been in a loud room
-been in a car/bus/train/plane
-been outside where it's breezy
-breathed through my nose/mouth
Or maybe, you know, those games kinda suck.

I guess Superman 64 would technically be the absolute worst game I ever played, but I never bothered finishing the first level, so I wouldn't really count that. No ones acting edgy for disliking a game you like. They just, you know, actually dislike those games.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be a glitchy mess, because those kinds of games can be fun in there own right (see Sonic 06, Ride to Hell).

I was referring to games that were soul-crushingly bad. Cue the Zero Punctuation Critical Spectrum.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Shoggoth2588 said:
Rangaman said:
Not the worst game ever, but the worst one you've actually played. It need not be the least functional, but the one that is..just the worst.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is probably mine. Good god that game was awful.
I've played that and I've played Sonic and the Black Knight and of those, I would say Secret Rings is the less functional. I really didn't like either of those games...
Sonic and the Black Knight is terrible as well, but I find that the premise in itself (Sonic wields swords in Medieval England) so utterly ridiculous that it's actually hilarious. The other thing is that I can feel that somewhere inside the Wii, my frantic Wiimote Dance is registering. Meanwhile, I genuinely never figured out if whatever complex maneuvers I was performing in the Secret Rings were actually registering with anything.

Besides that, the Secret Rings only had eight or so levels that it made you replay over and over while listening to a repetitive and torrid soundtrack (granted, the Black Knight doesn't have a great soundtrack either, but it's not as offensive as...whatever sodding genre the Secret Ring's soundtrack was). So I think it's a whole lot worse in this case. But that's my opinion.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So is this the worst in how offensive we found it, or just that it wasn't made well? The latter is boring because I can just say Super Man 64 or some shitty little flash game I couldn't even be bothered finishing.

The game that pissed me off more than anything though is non other than Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It is such a huge step down from Melee that not even my blind Nintendo fanboism stayed true anymore. And believe me, I was a stupid fanboy. Brawl managed to kill my trust and hope for Nintendo all in one. I can now only get hyped for a game/movie if it really shows something incredible now.

I mean, not only did they make the movement feel slow and sloppy, not only did they remove the side-air-dash, not only could you randomly trip over at any moment, but they tried to remove fucking combo's altogether! What's a fighting game without combo's? A hunk of shit! And the pokeball pokemon attack animations are truly pathetic.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I wasn't a fan of Tao's Adventure, for a spiritual successor to Azure Dreams...it just tanked on and on, and that was just the tutorial. it just didn't feel as fast as AD was, plus since it's 3D the floors isn't randomly generated which removes most of the draw that Azure Dreams had. think i can safely say it's one of the first DS games i actually put down.

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
Every asset flip on Steam Greenlight.

Also going to add Final Fantasy XIII. ery pretty for a PS3 game, but utterly soulless.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Well I've played Superman 64 but at the time I didn't think it was that bad just rather uninteresting.

WORST was probably Crackdown 2. maybe the only game I've bought that I genuinely regret. The game barely had a premise let alone a plot. I've heard the first one is better and the new one certainly looks better visually if nothing else but you couldn't pay me to play anything in that franchise again.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
Fox12 said:
Or maybe, you know, those games kinda suck.

I guess Superman 64 would technically be the absolute worst game I ever played, but I never bothered finishing the first level, so I wouldn't really count that. No ones acting edgy for disliking a game you like. They just, you know, actually dislike those games.
If the thread were "what games do you dislike?", then the choice would be rational. But talking about objective quality, you're honestly going to list Dragon Age Origins as the absolute worst game you've ever played in the entire history of your life?

Mmkay.

I can think of about a dozen critically acclaimed games which I personally can't stand playing. But I'm not exactly going to say they're the worst, since I can understand the overall quality and appeal of them. But then there are a metric fuckton of shovelware games out there, and I've played at least a handful of them. Even if just accidentally.

But as I stated before. There's always the chance that you just haven't played all that many games. Or I should add that maybe by happenstance, you've just managed to avoid playing bad games.
The OP is not exactly clear what the thread is about, but judging from his choice (which probably isn't anywhere near the most broken game he's played), I think this thread is about what games have disgusted us the most.

What Fox has mentioned disappointed him enough to mark it one of his worst experiences based on principal.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
pookie101 said:
as for my suggestion, its an old game .. phantasmagoria 2 a puzzle of flesh.. a main character who is completely obnoxious and unlikable and some of the worst FMV acting full stop
I thought the twist was interesting and the weirdness leading up to it worked well.

Besides, how do you put it as worst when the first game exists? A game with a Main character who incredibly stupid and awful puzzle design. I don't actually hate that game either, but I found it very meh. At least I remember parts of sequel, more then I can say about the first game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Action 52. Boom.

I had the misfortune to rent this ingenious "52 games in one cartridge" clusterfuck way back in the day for the NES. The main game is a terrible TMNT Ripoff(which has all of like 5 levels and none of them long), a good number of the games will crash if you try to play them and quite a few others will crash before you finish them(or will just stop). For the games that did work, no balancing was done at all, the difficulty was all over the map. It's fairly obvious the company working on the game didn't have a QA department....or just didn't care.

I don't remember any of the games being remotely interesting either.

At the time, I wondered why I was encountering so many bugs and crashes, thinking I got a bad cartridge. Later found out the game is just that broken.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
OT: The Evil Within

I genuinely HATE very few games. Only two actually, and The Evil Within is one of 'm. Not only does it aesthetically look like garbage, presenting the player with the most insultingly generic monster/horror designs, it's also rendered like an early PS3 game. And the mechanics are so fucking clunky it's baffling. It's like they made this game without ever quality checking or balancing anything.

And the cherry on top is that it was made by Shinji Mikami. Was he suffering from a brain-eating bacteria during the developement or what?
Maybe you're too much into a 'Resident Evil 4' mode when playing the game? Personally I really love Evil Within. Enjoyable gameplay that hits the sweet spot between RE4 and RE Remake, tense atmosphere, varied creature design, cool concept and an exceptionally well tweaked balance when it comes to defending against the creatures. I really enjoyed the story as well though it took me 2 playthroughs to get the gist of it. Evil Within I think had some real visionary qualities that are either misunderstood or really underappreciated. Also that the game ''looks like garbage'' isn't even making any sense. It's not a 200 million dollar production true but it still has pretty nice graphics.

As for 'worst game ever' that goes to any interactive movie for me. Any Nic Cage game or Until Yawn or even the most recent Uncharted that basically plays itself. If anything screams 'product' it are these shitty games. No creativity or imagination in it just ''press x to proceed''.