The worst save. Ever. Of all time.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
There was a Legacy of Kain game that my only save got corrupted...but thats cheating.

I suppose there was an Autosave in Opposing Force, on hard, were I was at 1 health a ways away from any health packs, in an open hallway with no cover, only pistol ammo, and a bunc of enemy marines coming at me. Took me about half an hour to bend the Matrix to my will and get out of that, and survive to the next health pack.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
In the (horrible and buggy) Pirates of the Caribbean game for the original Xbox, I once saved in this one room.

It turned out to be one of those (many) rooms where the save gets corrupted when you save in there.

And I overwrote my only save.

:) And thus I learned to never trust movie tie-in games.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Stories like this make me really really grateful for Reality Pump's decision to make their games keep the last 5 autosaves made during the game (and the automatic saving itself).

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
I remember my friend had one on the Phantom Menace game from eons ago where a guard on Tattooine was halfway through a swing which would kill him; he took dozens of tries to avoid the axe.

I've never really had any awfully bad ones; closest I think I've come is Fallout: New Vegas where I was to help this guy by rescuing his squadmates from a mine; I was at the entrance when I received a mission failed notification; I turned round to see a Legion hit-squad storming towards me; problem was I'd saved just after talking to him so he kept dying; I had to reload an earlier save, wait for the hit-squad then do his mission.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Saved in a fort with Forsworn. Forsworn that all of a sudden became about ten times harder with NO WARNING. Lierally, I was getting oneshotted. Took about 12 attempts to escape.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
FilipJPhry said:
New Vegas. Quicksaved just before a family of deathclaws attack me. I survived, but at the cost of over 40 stimpacks, broken unique armor, and almost an hour. After the end of that encounter, I gave a loud "UGHH" as my battle cry. A few minutes later, I realized it was all for naught, for there was no valuable loot in that area.
New Vegas taught me a cruel and harsh lesson in not assuming that just because there are powerful enemies there, there's something worth getting. Fallout 3 and Oblivion had filled me with optimism (and given me Vengeance) for any difficult area.

My story goes pretty much like that, except it was a bloatfly. Another time was a giant radscorpion.

Excelsior789

Nov 15, 2011
I planted a mine along the route of a guard in Deus Ex: HR and saved immediately. I died somehow and when I reloaded that save I was basically on top of the mine which apparently armed itself before the level loaded. Long story short, even the slightest movement resulted in Adam Jensen flying a meter into the air as a ragdoll while glitching through a chest high wall.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Not me but my little brother saved in the middle of a forest in Oblivion, as a vampire, in the daytime, with almost no health.
Had to restart that one.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Tomb Raider 3, some forgetton level: quick saved in the middle of a death plunge.

(Load game) YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESPLAT

Repeat ad infinatum.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I once quick saved in the middle of being insta-destroyed by one of those dwarvern spinning blade traps. I had to use the cheats to get out of it.

Also I remember in half life 2 I saved it as I was falling off a high ledge with 1hp. fml.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Bruenin said:
Potions? Couldn't you pause the game and go into your inventory the second it started up and drink some health potions?
Torrasque said:
That sounds like Krosis who was LOADS of fun to fight with a dragon trying to melt my face off...

OT: your predicament could be solved by quickly going into your inventory and nomming down as many potions as you have. It has saved me many a time. Also, make sure you save after every quest you complete, or area you complete. It seems like pretty common sense, but you forget it almost instantly.
Ha! Potions! Like I carry those around.

No, the real problem is Krosis' fireballs did 2/3 of my health, and because I saved when he was right behind me, he would always let of 2 or 3 right away. (Pure mage build only 100 health)

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
Silent Hunter 2. I had set where my submarine had to go on the map, and went in 16x mode because it was quite a long distance. When I was almost there, I went into 1x and saved. 2 seconds later an enemy Destroyer rammed me, destroying most of my electronics and my engine. Then it proceeded to bomb my ass with depth charges.

Every time I loaded the file, I could not prevent getting fubar'd.

Worst. save. ever.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Hafrael said:
Bruenin said:
Potions? Couldn't you pause the game and go into your inventory the second it started up and drink some health potions?
Torrasque said:
That sounds like Krosis who was LOADS of fun to fight with a dragon trying to melt my face off...

OT: your predicament could be solved by quickly going into your inventory and nomming down as many potions as you have. It has saved me many a time. Also, make sure you save after every quest you complete, or area you complete. It seems like pretty common sense, but you forget it almost instantly.
Ha! Potions! Like I carry those around.

No, the real problem is Krosis' fireballs did 2/3 of my health, and because I saved when he was right behind me, he would always let of 2 or 3 right away. (Pure mage build only 100 health)
Krosis hurt my mage a lot too. His 40 base damage fireballs hurt so much, and my ward at the time shattered every time, nevermind draining all my magics. My warrior didn't have much trouble, just threw on a fire resist potion, increased stamina regen, and shield bashed the fuck out of his face. The dragon hurt, but it only took 30 seconds to kill Krosis, which is 1 pass of the dragon in that area.
You really should carry around at least 500hp worth of hp potions. Whether they are 50hp pots or 20hp pots, it doesn't matter. It helps so much to pop into your inventory when you get low and health nuke yourself.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Ummm...

In Skyrim I was doing some training on my thief character which involved training at a trainer and pickpocketing my gold back, I quicksaved after each succesful attempt (So if I failed I could quickload back) I moved my quickload button next to my quicksave one to be easier to press. I failed one and accidentally quicksaved and then had to load a previous save a while back (Entering a building auto-save... I'd done a lot since then)

My worst one was in Call of Duty: World at War I was doing some fighting and hit a checkpoint mid-fight. It was on top of a grenade as it detonated. *Boom* *Deathscreen* *Boom* *Rage*

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Back before I made separate save files, I got to the ending boss of Breath of Fire 2. It's made so once you go into his "lair" you can save one last time before fighting him. Great I thought, I'll save here so if I die I don't have to do the whole dungeon again. Ofc, I lost the fight badly, loaded save, figured I'd go get some more items and grind before I try again.

Little did I know you can't exit the lair. At all. I was stuck in limbo not being powerful enough to defeat boss and not being able to leave to level up. AND IT WAS MY ONLY SAVE FILE.

I never played the game again.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Sneaky sneaky up through a death-claw mine - ready to snipe, I don't just quick-save - I PROPERLY save over my latest file. So I shoot the first one I see dead then only find out then three had moved in behind me. So I die, load back up my old save and move to leave so I don't get hit by those three again... but low and behold, they're at the entrance now - and one is coming towards me.

And I'd just used my last stealthboy to get IN to the damn place.

Kitten DeLux

Nov 20, 2009
Playing morrowind
being a woodelf early game (6 hoursish)
picklock door into a cavan
slave camp, heavy Armour orc guard battle axe
turn around door is lock, 1 pick lock left door level around 30-40
havent saved for like 2 hours except auto save entering the cave
reload 20 + times trying to unlock the door and not die to the orc

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Worst save ever is not where it was in game but what I accidentally saved over. I have saved over two different characters in Oblivion.
It was pretty easy to do that by accident.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Call of Duty 2 once checkpointed me in a tiny room with a grenade flying through an open window into my face, right before several guys come rampaging up the stairs, guns blazing. It took a number of tries before I was able to not only survive the grenade, but the follow-up guys that would come in while my health was painted all over the walls from the blast.

A quicksave in Hexen once adjusted my position to be a few inches forward. Right off of a cliff. I couldn't recover from that one.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
FilipJPhry said:
New Vegas. Quicksaved just before a family of deathclaws attack me. I survived, but at the cost of over 40 stimpacks, broken unique armor, and almost an hour. After the end of that encounter, I gave a loud "UGHH" as my battle cry. A few minutes later, I realized it was all for naught, for there was no valuable loot in that area.
Wait, the only three places shit-full of deathclaws are Sloan, the Deathclaw promontory (the lil'island) and Dead Wind Cavern. Dead Wind and the pormontory have awnsome loot, so...

Wait, it took you 40 stimpacks and a Unique armor to get through Sloan? How?