The Worst Theatrical Slaughter Since Abe Walked Into Ford's

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
The Worst Theatrical Slaughter Since Abe Walked Into Ford's

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark needs to quit while it's relatively ahead and fatality-free.

Read Full Article

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I saw that clip of the Spider-man actor falling on the news. Looked like it hurt like a motherf... AU, no need to slap me. I think it's best to call it quits, guys xD

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Maybe someone should explain to this woman that the reason Spiderman the Movie could be done is because much of it is done with CGI? Hard to replicate on stage. Unless...
Maybe if she went with a hologram performance instead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105250-Japanese-Pop-Star-Draws-Crowds-Despite-Being-a-Hologram]. That by now, I am pretty sure, is cheaper.

Oct 14, 2010
You go to theatrical performances for excellent sound and visuals. That's what made 'The Lion King' revolutionary. Adding dangerous stuntwork is something better left to Cirque du Soleil, who have more space to work with and don't have to worry about remembering as many lines.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Honestly they should just pull the plug on this thing before someone get's killed. It's not even likely it'll earn half of it's money back at this point either.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
somebody stop this crazy woman before we have multiple on-stage deaths. I know people want to get paid, but I DO believe people also want to keep their bones intact

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I think part of the problem is that she's lost perspective and is too deep in it to quit.

The funny thing is I've seen the Canadian Opera Company use small pools of water and wire tricks (over that same water) to good effect. The trick was, it was for accent not part of the focus. Since it was about water nymphs, it was used to set the atmosphere.

Between this and the hour and a half (no intermission) "American Idiot" I hope there's a show worth seeing when I finally make to to New York.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
I actually work backstage in the theatre industry. Someone operating the harnesses or flies really needs to put their foot down and tell the director what is possible and safe compared to what is impossible and downright deadly.

Theatres are dangerous places at the best of times but experts are backstage to make it as safe as possible for the crew as well as the actors. I'm not entirely sure whose fault the stunt accidents are for Spider-Man, but when money is involved, it's worth the risks I suppose in the industry.

This production wouldn't even be able to set foot into the foyer of the theatres I've worked at due to Occupational Health and Safety risk assessments in my country. The dangers (and lawsuits) wouldn't be worth assembling the set.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This whole situation has gone beyond "darkly amusing" and well into "what the hell are they thinking" territory.
Moriarty70 said:
I think part of the problem is that she's lost perspective and is too deep in it to quit.
I think you have the right of it. "Her baby" is almost done and ready to show off, and she's probably blind to the issues the production is having because she doesn't want to see it cancelled. Someone with no investment in the entire affair needs to get her head back into reality before some poor actor ends up on the front page for all the wrong reasons- such as under the headline "Spider-Man Stage Actor Killed In Tragic Accident".

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Someone with no investment in the entire affair needs to get her head back into reality before some poor actor ends up on the front page for all the wrong reasons- such as under the headline "Spider-Man Stage Actor Killed In Tragic Accident".
Well, you know, history has it that an actor died in the original production of "Macbeth" written by some guy called William Shakespeare and the rest, I suppose is history...

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
"The Worst Theatrical Slaughter Since Abe Walked Into Ford's"

When a headline like this can accurately claim to not be exaggerating, the person it talks about needs to seriously reconsider some things...

Feb 13, 2008
Tomtitan said:
"The Worst Theatrical Slaughter Since Abe Walked Into Ford's"

When a headline like this can accurately claim to not be exaggerating, the person it talks about needs to seriously reconsider some things...
Yeah, that headline made me wince a little as well.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
If someone does die, you know for a fact she won't stop. Use it as an excuse that the actor wanted the play to be seen.

Ciarnyn

Oct 12, 2009
At first I wondered "who the hell is Stage Managing this show, and why are they letting this happen", but... seriously, I would hate to be in their shoes; I imagine they are under a ton of pressure, and this show sounds like an absolute frigging *nightmare* to have to be in charge of come show night. I mean, the very, very few times in my career that I've had to come on the God mike and speak directly to the audience... I've generally already had a conniption fit in the booth. That sounds like every night for this poor person.

Still though... actor safety comes first. Either the SM's hands are tied (with such a high profile director, you never know...), or... well, who knows. I'd love a peek into the backstage area though.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Cool, I'm glad you have a completely unbiased opinion of something you have haven't even seen.

Regardless, even if it is a giant waste of money, the only opinion I agree with of yours is that they need to take better care of their staff. But shutting down the production?

Besides, quitting now would be pointless. If they quit now they have zero chance of recouping losses.

EDIT:

DonTsetsi said:
A little too close to a rant for my tastes.
HigherTomorrow said:
And once again, another thinly-veiled rant by Elizabeth Grunewald is published, instead of, you know, actual news, or at least an interesting rant. Can we get back to actual news?
My thoughts exactly. Just randomly ranting about crap is not news. At least Shamus delivers his rants in an intelligent and logical manner. This article feels like it belongs on fox "news".