The worst way to die?

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Let's see...gunshot to the intestines is a pretty bad way to go since the wound is almost guaranteed to go septic and it will take a while to kill you, but there are worse.

The Israelis had one method of execution where they would tie you down in a boat and force-feed you honey until you got diarrhea and keep that up for a day or two until it killed you.

Crucifixion comes to mind as well since it could take days to kill.

The worst I've heard of though was one drug enforcement officer who was tied to a tree in a swamp by means of barbed wire up his rectum.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
bluepotatosack said:
OneCatch said:
Scaphism. From an ancient greek description:

"[The king] decreed that Mithridates should be put to death in boats; which execution is after the following manner: Taking two boats framed exactly to fit and answer each other, they lay down in one of them the malefactor that suffers, upon his back; then, covering it with the other, and so setting them together that the head, hands, and feet of him are left outside, and the rest of his body lies shut up within.
They offer him food, and if he refuse to eat it, they force him to do it by pricking his eyes; then, after he has eaten, they drench him with a mixture of milk and honey, pouring it not only into his mouth, but all over his face.
They then keep his face continually turned towards the sun; and it becomes completely covered up and hidden by the multitude of flies that settle on it. And as within the boats he does what those that eat and drink must needs do, creeping things and vermin spring out of the corruption and rottenness of the excrement, and these entering into the bowels of him, his body is consumed.
When the man is manifestly dead, the uppermost boat being taken off, they find his flesh devoured, and swarms of such noisome creatures preying upon and, as it were, growing to his inwards. In this way Mithridates, after suffering for seventeen days, at last expired."
That's probably the most horrible I can think of, though it was thankfully rare.
This is the first thing that came to mind. The brazen bull was pretty horrible, as well.

It was a hollow bronze statue of a bull with a door on one side. The victim was locked inside and a fire was lit under it, roasting them alive. The head had a system of tubes that would make their screams sound like the bellows of an angry bull.

This was another Greek invention, btw.
Seriously, fuck the ancient Greeks.

I was going to say being hung, drawn and quartered. Or alternatively being flayed alive. *shudder* If I had to be executed medieval-style, I'd opt for a beheading- relatively quick, as long as the executioner knew what he was doing.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Being eaten alive by realley hot girl whith no teeth... and feet put in a fireplace... Saw in a dream last monty... It realley hurt...

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Schadrach said:
Aconitum poisoning. Per wikipedia:

"Progression of symptoms: the first symptoms of aconitine poisoning appear approximately 20 minutes to 2 hours after oral intake and include paraesthesia, sweating and nausea. This leads to severe vomiting, colicky diarrhea, intense pain and then paralysis of the skeletal muscles. Following the onset of life threatening arrhythmia, including ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation, death finally occurs as a result of respiratory paralysis or cardiac arrest."

The "intense pain" referenced has been described as akin to being devoured by fire ants from the inside out. It's also worth noting that through all of this unpleasantness that the victim remains awake and alert. Horrible stuff.
Strychnine I would say is worse. Essentially, it forces your muscles to contract, all at the same time. This leads to horrible pain because no relaxation and the absolutely horrific positions maintained, also, your muscles breaking your bones etc. You then die from either shock, exhaustion or cardiac arrest.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Imagine your brain as an ongoing chemical reaction complete with electrical exchange and the like. Now think of death like the slowing down and eventual cessation of that reaction. parts of your consciousness simply stop working outside scenes first, you are left alone in the dark abyss that is consciousness with no outside input, you are alone with nothing but your thoughts and the ghost, random firing of sensory neurons not actually feeling anything. Moment to moment you have fingers but no arms, legs but no pelvis you are entirely disconnected.

then comes the brain degradation, you are alone in your dark hole with no ability to sense beside those random firing from earlier the most important thing to note is you have no sense of time. Clocks, video times, daylight other people or even your own schedules don't exist here, even if the part of your brain that helps deal with time is still functional. So either before you know it or after an eternity of seclusion you start to lose thing. Bam childhood, gone with no one to remember who isn't alive and immortal, how to repair a computer, gone, how to beat that tricky part in your favorite game? gone and not just memories. Math gone, speech center gone, you'll forget what colors are like and the worst part is you won't even know its happening

Very soon you are simply a chemical mass waiting for input no past and no idea of where to go in the future you wont even know you've existed and in 100 years time or so neither will anyone else. The last fleeting signals may even be some of the first ever sent although this time not at the beginning of an adventure but at the end, "Who-... am Iiiii....?".

Dying at all is pretty nasty.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
The thing I would fear the most is being slowly crushed to death, feet first. That, and being eaten alive by a shark or by a pack of dogs. Being set on fire would be a pretty bad way to go - what would be even worse is being set on fire, having the fire extinguished, and then dying due to infection and septic shock. That would be nasty.

But I'd think I'd take all of them over alzheimers. Because that is the death of you who are as a person. With the other deaths, I get to die as me. With Alzheimers, I'd die as a shell of what I was.

bigwon

Jan 29, 2011
probably a combination of slow painful torture and having been in a line up to witness others go through it before me.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Johny_X2 said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Just search "the murder of Junko Furuta" in Wikipedia. It's almost enough to make you clamour for the death penalty again when you read what that poor girl had to suffer.
I hate you. I really do.

Having my illusions about the world shattered like this... god. What the fuck. Who... why... what kind of... what? I mean I've seen and heard of some sick shit but this..?

Don't google it people. I'm not getting a decent night's sleep after reading about the poor girl.
Sorry, but I've always thought that that would be one of the worst ways to die, because it's physical, sexual and psychological torture at its extreme for 44 fucking days. Reading it again still makes me sick to my stomach.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Relish in Chaos said:
Johny_X2 said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Just search "the murder of Junko Furuta" in Wikipedia. It's almost enough to make you clamour for the death penalty again when you read what that poor girl had to suffer.
I hate you. I really do.

Having my illusions about the world shattered like this... god. What the fuck. Who... why... what kind of... what? I mean I've seen and heard of some sick shit but this..?

Don't google it people. I'm not getting a decent night's sleep after reading about the poor girl.
Sorry, but I've always thought that that would be one of the worst ways to die, because it's physical, sexual and psychological torture at its extreme for 44 fucking days. Reading it again still makes me sick to my stomach.
'sick to my stomach' doesn't even cut it. I can't believe that a human being would do something like that to another FOR NO FUCKING REASON (not that any kind of reason would be good enough to justify it)... I don't want to believe that I'm of the same species as someone who is willingly able to do something like that. To a 16-year old girl. That's just... AARRRRGH.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I heard somewhere that being sucked into a blackhole would be the worst kind of death . Something about time (seemingly ) slowing down , and feeling every atom of your body being ripped appart . Can anyone confirm this?( i know nothing about science and black holes)

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Really anything that is slow, while you are alone in the middle of nowhere.

Imagine this;
You walk out in a forrest near your location because you went camping. It was getting close to being dark but you thought "eh, i'll go stretch my legs a bit"

Before you know it, it is completely dark and you cannot find your way back. All you do is stray further and further from your camp.

Then you hear some leafs move, the sound of someone running and an intense pain in your leg. Someone just slit you ankle. Unable to run, you try to crawl away while that person walks up to you and slits your other ankle. You try to defend yourself by trowing small rocks and branches at him but it has no effect, he comes closer.

But he doesn't kill you.

He puts a gag in your mouth and ties up your hands and feet. After he is done with that he drags you back to his cabin in the middle of the forest.

Downstairs in his basement you go, while hitting every step of the stairs because he just drags you down like a rag doll. He trows you on a table and ties your hands / feet to hooks placed on the corners of the table.

He removes your gag and sais; "you can scream if you want to, no one will hear you"

He then proceeds to make small cuts into your body, causing unbelievable pain. To make it worse he lets a swarm of fire ants lose on your body. They start digging around in your wounds, biting everywhere they go. Your body is almost giving up, but he keeps you medicated to keep you alive and awake.

After a while he kills the fire ants by using a small torching device that burns them. You can still feel the pain of the fire ants, but it is almost unnoticeable over the pain of the burn marks where he killed the fire ants.

You pray that it is almost over, but it isn't. he grabs a pair of pincers and pulls your nails out one by one.

There isn't much more you can take, and he sees that. No amount of drugs can keep your body any longer from going into shock and dying.

He sees that, from the look in your eyes and the the way your body moves. Instinctively he knows it is time to end it.

He grabs his trusty knife, a knife he used to kill dozens. In the same place, in the same way. And thrusts it deep inside you.

As you pant out your last breath, you feel nothing but gratitude to this man. He ended your pain.

thedrunkenmonkey

Jun 27, 2013
Miyenne said:
I might think burning, but the pain might become too much for your mind to comprehend.

Rather depressing, I warn you:
Rather than painful, I think the worst way to die is alone. I hate the thought of anyone dying alone, scared and in pain. It's why whenever one of my pets die I hold them and pet them and talk to them until the body's cold. To me, it's the thing I have to do. It helps me attain a sense of peace and finality, too. The emptiness in the eyes tells you the one you loved is really gone and the body's just a thing.

I've lost three grandparents and never had the opportunity to be there with them at the time, as much as I tried to be. I feel guilty about that, even though two of the three died with other family members beside them.

I wouldn't want to die alone.
People DO die alone. Death is a one-way, solo passage ticket. You go through the door one at a time. It is a completely unique experience. It doesn't mean you won't be missed, or that you didn't have a chance to move forward.

I'm there with you on the pets, Miyenne. A while ago I had to put a beloved old Siamese cat to sleep, and I had to do it at the vet's. I felt beyond awful having to do it that way. I vowed never to do that to another companion again, so when my other cat began to die, I called a vet who does house calls, and she allowed me to hold him in his favorite spot on the couch while he passed away.

It's worth it, but you can't ever forget that death is a very personal thing - it ends a single life. Period. You cannot go with someone, and you cannot hold their hand when they go through the doorway. Think of it that way, and it's a lot easier to grieve.

thedrunkenmonkey

Jun 27, 2013
krazykidd said:
I heard somewhere that being sucked into a blackhole would be the worst kind of death . Something about time (seemingly ) slowing down , and feeling every atom of your body being ripped appart . Can anyone confirm this?( i know nothing about science and black holes)
More along the lines of being squished long before you'd ever hit the black hole itself. Heck, even going 500 feet under the ocean without a pressure suit would do you far quicker. Squish, like grape.

TheKrigeron

Apr 4, 2013
Knowing that I will die a long time before dying, then sad events happen all the way trough. And when I finally happens, being alone, miserable and deseperate...
Also the exact death would be a stick up my bum

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
thedrunkenmonkey said:
People DO die alone. Death is a one-way, solo passage ticket. You go through the door one at a time. It is a completely unique experience. It doesn't mean you won't be missed, or that you didn't have a chance to move forward.

I'm there with you on the pets, Miyenne. A while ago I had to put a beloved old Siamese cat to sleep, and I had to do it at the vet's. I felt beyond awful having to do it that way. I vowed never to do that to another companion again, so when my other cat began to die, I called a vet who does house calls, and she allowed me to hold him in his favorite spot on the couch while he passed away.

It's worth it, but you can't ever forget that death is a very personal thing - it ends a single life. Period. You cannot go with someone, and you cannot hold their hand when they go through the doorway. Think of it that way, and it's a lot easier to grieve.
Yes everyone dies alone. I just want to be there so they're not so afraid until they do die.

Sadly enough I've had enough people and pets I love die that I've learned quite well how to grieve. A couple tears, if any, and then I move on. It's rather cold-hearted, but crying my eyes out until I get a headache and I get sick to my stomach won't bring them back or make anything better so I just don't anymore.

But I'd want someone I love holding my hand until I died.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
Really, I didn't think I'd be the one to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcaL35f8ps

Imagine begging for someone to kill you because it would be kinder than what they are about to do to you? I liked Johnny up to that point. I mean, I still do. But that takes a sick fucker to do. One bullet, it's done and over. But you're subjecting someone to a death that couldn't even come quick enough, and no possible way to cause it to end the suffering quicker.

Worse yet, he didn't wake up in that situation. He has days to realize that everything he's done led up to that point. If he was stronger, if he was smarter, if he just decided to program computers for a living, he wouldn't be slowly starving to death... laying in his own waste and probably even contemplating ingesting it just to keep the pain away. His bones and joints locking, his muscle crying out in pain as they waste away on one side and the sheer weight of his body inevitably crushes the left side of his body.

All he can do is sit there, and pray it comes quicker.
I think CJ in San Andreas has this beat.

Remember the mission where CJ has to destroy the construction site with the bulldozer? The innocent foreman runs into a portapody to hide. You tip the portabody over spilling the human waste all over the guy, then you dump him in a whole, and then you fill the whole in cement.

The guy faces the same fate as the other one, only his only crime was showing up for work. He's going to spend hours until he suffocates in other people's shit. He'll die there, and no one will ever find the body. There will never be justice.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Mauler said:
Being eaten alive by realley hot girl whith no teeth... and feet put in a fireplace... Saw in a dream last monty... It realley hurt...
I often think, as humans at the top of the food chain, being eaten alive is the most insulting way to die.

Like the people that get there legs eaten by a shark, but they don't get bitter towards the shark? I don't know how they don't. I'd be hunting that shark down like ahab if it took my leg. I could of used that leg for years, this shark took it from me, digested it and shit it out! It's not even like "If I eat this one leg I'll never have to eat again" in a couple hours it'll just have to eat again.

Astral Away

Jan 4, 2013
Having a heart attack while on a toilet. Also being buried or burnt alive, Ebola, accidentally injuring yourself with a chainsaw in the woods with no one around...