The Xbox One reveal was 10 years ago.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Hard to believe, but 10 years ago today, Microsoft's Xbox One was revealed.

I still remember exactly where I was when it happened, and I still remember the absolute shitstorm that followed. The XBone never really recovered from the absolutely disastrous reveal.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That was just such a fun time honestly. There's nothing quite like watching a multi billion dollar corporation so stubbornly stick to their dumbfuck ideas and pay dearly for it. Not dearly enough maybe, but was still great to watch.

I've said it before on the hot takes thread, but I really don't get why Phil Spencer is seen as a cool gamer CEO when his decade long tenure as the Xboss has mostly been a failure. I mean I don't hate the guy, but he just clearly hasn't done a particularly great job.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Here's how it basically went down for me

Xbox One gets revealed, I shout "OMFG!!" and expect to see some games.

Check out what it can do with the new kinect! Said Don Mattrick. Cool, can I see some games now?

Look at all the multimedia stuff it can do! Said another MS executive. Umm... okay, some games?

It can play so many movies, music, and connect to Television! Can I please see some games?

And now, Call of Duty Ghosts! You motherfuckers!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
And immediately after XB1's original plan to not allow used games, Sony posted this video:

You have no idea how hilarious and insulting this was for me. Thankfully MS scrapped that plan, but it was themselves that allowed Sony to insult the decision and everyone who were still on xbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Sony won that gen mostly because Nintendo and Microsoft burst into flames at the starting line.

It's like that "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" meme.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And immediately after XB1's original plan to not allow used games, Sony posted this video:

You have no idea how hilarious and insulting this was for me. Thankfully MS scrapped that plan, but it was themselves that allowed Sony to insult the decision and everyone who were still on xbox.
That was the best corporate own in gaming history if you ask me. They fucked MS so hard, MS still hasn't recovered.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They fucked MS so hard, MS still hasn't recovered.
MS fucked themselves so hard. All Sony did was curb stuff on them, while MS was doing it.

Sony won that gen mostly because Nintendo and Microsoft burst into flames at the starting line.
I wouldn't exactly call Nintendo bursting into flames. More so fumbling at the start, because they kept adding on new and fancy gimmicks nobody wanted, nor much impressed.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To be fair, I knew a some people who used their 360s as multimedia machines. But when every TV today has access to YouTube and other streaming sites, who would use an Xbone?
Me, and I’ll tell you why. Aside from still being a very good BluRay player (this also applies to the PS4), the Xbox is so grossly overpowered for simple media playback that even now, it likely outpaces most televisions spec wise so the experience should be consistently excellent for much longer compared to the TV.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Me, and I’ll tell you why. Aside from still being a very good BluRay player (this also applies to the PS4), the Xbox is so grossly overpowered for simple media playback that even now, it likely outpaces most televisions spec wise so the experience should be consistently excellent for much longer compared to the TV.
And yet they couldn't make the console more powerful for gaming. I still remember BF: Hardline running at 780p, which was worse than PS4's 900p.