The Xbox Scorpio Will Be Revealed This Thursday

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Xbox Scorpio Will Be Revealed This Thursday

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry will have an exclusive Xbox Scorpio reveal this week.

Last year during E3, Microsoft ended the show on a big note, revealing Project Scorpio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167707-Microsoft-Ends-E3-Presser-By-Announcing-Yet-Another-New-Console-Project-Scorpio], an incremental Xbox One upgrade that promises to be "the most powerful console ever". Unfortunately, since then, we've heard precious little about Scorpio, and are pretty much in the dark regarding its specs, price, and release date.

Now, Eurogamer has Tweeted that its Digital Foundry segment will be running an exclusive reveal of "Xbox Scorpio" this Thursday.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/849275581816594432]

A couple of things to take from this. Eurogamer officially referred to the new console as "Xbox Scorpio". We've only heard Microsoft refer to it by its codename, Project Scorpio, which suggests that the new console will indeed simply be called Xbox Scorpio. Second, the image accompanying the Tweet is of a CPU, and given Digital Foundry's expertise in hardware breakdowns, we can assume the focus of this reveal will be Scorpio's specifications.

The reveal will take place this Thursday, at 2 PM UK time / 6 AM Pacific time.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The name reminds me of all those weird ass names consoles had when I was a kid, or even before I was born.

Anyway, I stay away from Xbox mainly because the exclusives don't interest me and I hate the controller, but hopefully this forces Sony to up their game. I'm still salty about the Pro.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Shortest console generation ever. If i would've bought a ps4/xbone by now i would have been piiiiiiiiiissed.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm expecting this to be a true Xbox 4 rather than Xbox One Plus One, but with backward compatability since Microsoft's exclusive line up is a bit anemic right now.

Speaking of which, I wish Microsoft would get there naming systems sorted out. Sony ar every easy, it goes 1,2 ,3 ,4 and 4Pro is a slightly faster 4. Nintendo just give every console a different name, whilst Microsoft have gone Xbox to 360 to One and Scorpio, yet they keep the Xbox branding as well. It's really inconsistent and offends my obsessive nature.

Bob_McMillan said:
The name reminds me of all those weird ass names consoles had when I was a kid, or even before I was born.
It makes me think of a man named Hank who likes his flamethrower a little too much.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I look forward to [probably] not being arsed to upgrade from an Elite.

If the Scorpio (which is a dumb name, but all consoles have dumb names so I suppose it's conforming to type... ) really does offer significant boosts in performance ignoring all the 4K stuff, and it has an Elite controller and some sort of hybrid drive? Then I might be tempted. I mean, I'd probably have to do a Heat and rob a bank for the spare funds, but I'll cross that totally-not-doomed-to-a-dramatic-death-in-an-airport bridge when I come to it...

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Bob_McMillan said:
Personally, I'm surprised that there haven't been any "Xbox Cancer" jokes yet.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Rangaman said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Personally, I'm surprised that there haven't been any "Xbox Cancer" jokes yet.
Probably because it's Microsoft who seems to have the people's goodwill right now, with all their backtracking on stuff. Actually, in general I think console wars have died down.