The Zombieland Writers Say a Sequel Isn't Dead Yet

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
The Zombieland Writers Say a Sequel Isn't Dead Yet

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1282/1282661.png

The only important question now is: WILL BILL MURRAY BE IN IT?

In an era of filmmaking almost entirely based around franchises, it's nothing short of confounding to see that 2009's Zombieland has yet to receive a sequel. I mean, a movie about bank robbing magicians [http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/elvis-nixon-this-week-in-posters/] is getting a sequel*, so you'd think that *any* movie about zombies (which are hotter than Hansel at the moment) would be churning out sequels left and right, let alone one as successful as Zombieland. Aside from being a critical hit, Zombieland was one of those rare comedies that managed to make over 100 million dollars and still maintain the "cult" appeal that studios seem to care about so much these days.

On the other hand, hearing that the pilot for Amazon's failed Zombieland television series was "hated out of existence" [http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/17/entertainment/la-et-st-zombieland-amazon-writer-rhett-reese-20130517] by fans of the movie despite having most of the same talent involved might indicate that the movie was more of a lightning-in-a-bottle scenario than we might have expected -- for every Shaun of the Dead, there are a dozen Scout's Guide to the Apocalypses', after all.

With the success of Deadpool being the talk of the town, however, it looks like screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick might finally have the momentum to deliver on what they've been promising for years: A Zombieland sequel.

In a recent interview taken while making the promotional rounds for Deadpool, Reese and Wernick revealed that the long-awaited sequel is still in development. Development hell, that is, but still!

"It's actually still in development at Sony, they've had a couple writers take a crack at it, we're still exec producers and we're guiding and helping where we can and I think there's still very much talk about it, but I think it has to be right," said Reese.

"I think all the actors and (original 'Zombieland' director) Ruben (Fleischer), all feel like there's no reason to do it again if we're not getting it exactly right."

Say what you want about this Rhett Reese character, but the guy has an admirable restraint so rarely demonstrated in the age of Olympus Has Fallen 2 and The Purge 3. Somewhat contrarily, I'm all for the idea of a Zombieland sequel. It seems like a hard idea to mess up with the right talent, recent history notwithstanding, and it's not like Columbia would have to break the bank making another one. Now that Abigail Breslin is at least 16 (I'm not looking it up), I say you take Z2 in the Deadpool direction and fill this thing up with R-rated potty-mouth humor and graphic violence. Everyone wins.

*Disclaimer: I actually quite enjoyed Now You See Me, but the point remains: Movies about magicians need to be few and far between.

Arrow in the Head [http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/zombieland-sequel-still-alive-according-to-paul-wernick-and-rhett-reese-733]

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
The first movie was entertaining. But I'm so far passed burned out on Zombie movies, that I can't imagine a large demand for a sequel like this.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Upbeat Zombie said:
The first movie was entertaining. But I'm so far passed burned out on Zombie movies, that I can't imagine a large demand for a sequel like this.
I'm with you on the burned out part. I don't think zombies are going anywhere but I haven't worried about 'em in a while.
That said, I really liked Zombieland, I'm pretty sure it was the last time something zombie-related entertained me.
I was going to say it was the last time it was fun but that was just the thing: Zombieland is FUN. In an era of stuff like The Walking Dead, World War Z, and Resident Evil[footnote]Well, I've only seen the first one and while it was a cheesy fun ride, I can't tell if it was trying to be taken seriously or not.[/footnote], where zimbies are SRS BSNS (not that there's anything wrong with that), it'd be nice to see another FUN zombie movie, you know?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Upbeat Zombie said:
Aw, you missed a chance to make bad puns about them being dead.

But, just because zombie movies have been done to death doesn't stop people from pumping out hordes of them. IMHO, zombies stopped been interesting many years ago.

mruuh

Jun 29, 2012
I for one can never get enough of good, smartly done zombie movies (comedies or otherwise). Yes, there are too many zombie movies, but not nearly enough of the good ones. I'm a sucker for zombie apocalypse fiction, I guess.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
In my opinion it should be an entirely different group of people. Almost nothing would work with the same cast that wouldn't be cheesy. Maybe something with Tallahassee before the meet-up would work if you have to have some of the original cast?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Upbeat Zombie said:
I find it rather humorous that this comment is coming from someone named Upbeat Zombie. :3

OT: I actually agree with Upbeat Zombie in that - while the first movie was a fun little romp - I'm done with zombies. I've been done with zombies for a couple years now. I don't know exactly when zombies made a resurgence and suddenly became shoehorned into everything (for fuck's sake, we've got a movie that's a retelling of Romeo and Juliet...but with zombies o.o), I just know that I really couldn't give a fuck less about them now. In fact it's to the point where I'm actively avoiding any media that has zombies as a primary feature.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Lightknight said:
In my opinion it should be an entirely different group of people. Almost nothing would work with the same cast that wouldn't be cheesy. Maybe something with Tallahassee before the meet-up would work if you have to have some of the original cast?
Exactly this- new survivors in a new location. Maybe have them cross paths with the original group at some point, or in a post-credits scene? If i was writing it, I'd suggest following a group of survivors in Australia? The comparative scarcity of guns would force more creative methods for killing zombies, and if you really wanted, you could make it Zombieland crossed with Fury Road.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Starik20X6 said:
Lightknight said:
Exactly this- new survivors in a new location. Maybe have them cross paths with the original group at some point, or in a post-credits scene? If i was writing it, I'd suggest following a group of survivors in Australia? The comparative scarcity of guns would force more creative methods for killing zombies, and if you really wanted, you could make it Zombieland crossed with Fury Road.
All good ideas that would be more viable than a straight up sequel with the same cast in some arbitrary new situation.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Thank god! I can now sleep soundly at night knowing that a sequel to an ok zombie movie is still possibly, maybe something that might happen, eventually. .....oh wait no, I don't really care. Seriously was this movie that popular that years later, fans are clamoring for a sequel? 'Cause I don't really see a lot of chatter about it anywhere.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Thank god! I can now sleep soundly at night knowing that a sequel to an ok zombie movie is still possibly, maybe something that might happen, eventually. .....oh wait no, I don't really care. Seriously was this movie that popular that years later, fans are clamoring for a sequel? 'Cause I don't really see a lot of chatter about it anywhere.
It was a popular movie and like all popular movies yes, people would like to see a sequel whether for better or worse.

Are you really around people who talk about wanting to see sequels in general? I've seen it a lot around games but I don't really hear people talking about movie sequels unless they're brought up in articles like this one or have actually been announced.