Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Footage Enrages 'Net

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I will try...

So, if for a moment you considered the situation where something that you have fond memories of and felt a strong allegiance to at some point - something you thought was purely good even when it wasn't because it had to be, for you, then at least - that you still, somewhere, feel that lingering smokey after glow of the fire of your fandom that burnt bright - has just become less amazing than something needs to be to really deserve those devoted embers. You've watched it gradually, but looked away whenever possible and clung to the, now mysteriously much more satisfying, offshoots that remain "pure" (In the case of FF I'd say the best example is the music and the touring and orchestras) and rallying with other fans through various means to perpetuate the things you most associated with your worshipful fervor in the past (Katethegreat19 - Youtube, if you like FF pretty singing sweetness, for example).

Then you see it in an incarnation that neither makes sense nor seems to show the series in what you might call a "respectful" light.

I had a twinge of rage, then it passed and I was sad, then that passed too and I typed this out. All done. :)

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
It just looks bad. Simple as that.

It's like those Disney sing along videos that had brief clips from the movies while most of it was film of the mascots singing with kids, and the whole time all you wanted to do was watch the real movie.....Squenix, you evil masterminds.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, okay. Fanboy here. Here's my opinion:

It's great! No, wait. Hold your rocks. Allow me to explain.

The thing about FF games is that they're known for their jaw-dropping graphics. But that's not all there is to it. Story, music, yes graphics, and so on are what make a FF truly a memorable FF game. If anything, the graphics remind me of those little keychains Square Enix sells. But I'm actually fine with it and you know why? Cause the game looks fun!

If you like FF and its music, great, this game is for you (Or me). If you think FF = FF7 then sorry to disappoint. I, for one, love that all the memorable FF songs are gonna be together in a single rhythm game that actually looks fun. No, this is not meant to be your typical FF with ATB events and such. This is a rhythm game through and through. And it looks great so far.

Did anyone complain about the crappy graphics in GH2 or 3? Maybe, but that wasn't the point. What made the first GH games awesome and memorable was the music and the gameplay, not the graphics or even the plot, which could barely be called a plot.

I think people are looking into it too hard. It's just a rhythm game. Enjoy it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Maybe people are mad because it looks like what it is; a little, somewhat stupid rhythm game instead of some grand and epic game that falls flat on its face.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
First I was like:

"This is music?

Dulll~"

Then the boss showed up and I was like, "oh, my god! Good music!"

Though, I can't see myself spending 40$ to listen to FF Music with a Guitar Hero system.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
It doesn't really look anything like Final Fantasy =|
Hell, it doesn't even look like Crystal Chronicles.
It looks like some game studio was "hey, can we make some sprites that look vaguely like Final Fantasy sprites, and use really basic forms of iconic battle music?" and Square Enix says "sure, at least someone will buy it"
And lo and behold, we have this.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
I think the question must be asked... What the hell were you expecting? It's from Japan, it's non (snicker) canon lined....

I mean, honestly, I was expecting worse!

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Heard about this a while ago, and if I was just disinterested when I heard about it, then looking at this just makes me disapointed. It's not so much the art style that bugs me about the looks (although I should say its not my favourite art style), but rather besides a few things during combat the actual matching of the rhythm doesn't seem to have much corralation to anything inteesting happening on screen. All in all it just looks boring, not badly done graphics just very bland and menial graphics.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
The FF8 waltz cutscene seemed completely out of place. I don't mind the game so much, I certainly won't be buying a 3DS to sample it's rhythmic delights though.

Sep 14, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Eh? Seems okay to me. I mean, the game doesn't seem good or anything, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a rhythm game. Why, exactly, are people upset at a rhythm game? It's dumb, it might sell a mediocre amount of units, it won't break new ground and won't hurt anything, so why get your panties in a twist?
i agree with snake

this wasn't ever mentioned as a GOTY contender in anything i have ever seen this year...why is it a big deal that it isn't the most revolutionary piece of shit on the planet?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
It doesnt look bad. I loved most of the Final Fantasy soundtracks.
While im not ready to shell out 30-40 bucks for this game, i can see why it was made.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm... Interesting.

That first half of the video didn't really sell it to me, but when the music kicked in, THEN I got it.

Personally, the music is always one of my favorite parts of any Final Fantasy game, so a rhythm game is actually kinda obvious.

Doesn't look amazing or anything, but if it's at a discount or something, I might pick it up. I really don't see what all the rage is over.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Ok, this game looks like arse. I've never been a big fan of FF music anyway (it's fine, but I don't feel compelled to listen to it on YouTube like some do), but if they're going to make it a rhythm game, can something interesting be happening in the background? What's the deal with the "girl walks to the left" sections? completing the rhythm sequences doesn't even seem to be affecting anything there. It just looks boring.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The music did it for me.

It made me remember that a huge draw of the series for me was the music alone. Still not enough to sell a lamo story like 13, but still...

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Scrustle said:
Well it doesn't take a genius to work out why FF fanboys are raging at it. It's not what they normally expect from FF, so they feel angry and cheated. Of course that is pretty silly, but that's the way it is.

To me, it does look pretty rubbish. I'm not a fan of FF at all (despite trying to be on several occasions) but I don't see how anything to do with the series lends itself to the music rhythm genre at all. The game just looks like a huge single quick time event with some vaguely FF style visuals running along in the background. They look totally unrelated and unnecessary. Some people may like the music, but I'm not one of them.
Aye, I agree with you. Personally, I'd get the same fun out of ryhthm games as I would with my platforming games. I do enjoy them albeit mostly in an addictive sort of way, lol. Though, uh, this looks pretty boring to me. Not even mediocre.

Then again, if, say, I were to purchase this game(and I probably won't. Not a Final Fantasy fan at all. Nor a handeheld gamer), I'd probably enjoy it enough to ignore the rubbish graphics. In the addictive sense. :p

x

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It's like if Wii Music and Final Fantasy had a bastard child. I can thoroughly understand the hate.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't know, but I think they missed their best chance of making a game entirely out of combat cinematics.