Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
So... your saying we should make crack addicts play video-games to make them stop? idk, I would hate to meet a former crack addict turned obsessive addicted video gamer on the other team in a lobby. KD would suffer...

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
chickencow said:
Also, if you split up the word 'therapist', you get 'the rapist'. Just thought I'd point that out(See, I can make ridiculous claims too).
Damnit! Now I can't unsee it.

gmergurl

Jan 27, 2011
Daemascus said:
Great, another nut. And not even an orignal one.
Brilliant :) This made my day. Thank you.

On another note. He probably does have a book (sorry didn't read the whole thing). Should Amazong-google him to be sure.... >.>

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
Sarah Frazier said:
Just imagine what would happen if this guy and the "Video games turn people into rapists" woman got together and had kids. Those kids would have all kinds of crazy ideas about the things their peers are doing, and then even more extreme views of what the next generation does.
is it scary that i don't have to imagine this cause it's already coming true?

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
When i started reading this article I was on a similar wavelength to this guy, having the control snatched out of my hand would make me pretty angry. Even though I am aware I am wasting my time in my eyes and others. But when he moves on to say that kids stay up late to play video games and that releases a high, that seems absurd to me. Although I'm not a kid any more, so maybe when I was a bit younger I got this high.

I think I can see where he is coming from, I would act like I pissy child if someone took away the power cables to my xbox and pc, pathetic really.

EDIT:
You can't compare this to robbing some ones food or their means to eat. You need to eat, its natural to want to eat, so naturally people get angry if you steal there food, unless they have over indulged or being forced to eat. That's how ridiculous I think the comparison is,(controller snatching to food snatching making people angry), I'm highlighting why some person may go against the natural urge to eat.

dcrane

Sep 8, 2010
Okay, so the man's obviously an idiot. However, superficially (i.e., at the symptom level) there can be similarities between video game playing (let's pick something like COD) and coke/crack highs:

Enhanced aggression? check
Elevated heart rate/blood pressure? check (probably related to aggression)
Enhanced perception/focus? check
Lack of fatigue? check

Of course, your mileage may vary (I'm talking to you Mr ice-in-my-veins Uber COD player)

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I'm pretty sure taking away anything from someone pisses them off no matter what it is.

I'll be right back, I'm gonna test that on my brother.

Yeah, he looked at me funny then just grabbed it back from my hands.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
You know what else can cause an "endorphin high"? Exercise.

People who exercise in gyms tend to get angry if you disrupt their exercise routines. Scary, huh?

Therefore ban gyms. Ban jogging and cycling paths.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Taking something away from somebody while they're enjoying it is going to piss EVERYONE off the same way, so just claiming it as evidence that video games are evil is bullshit. I mean, I'm really enjoying 'War of the Worlds' right now. If someone snatched it out of my hands while I was in the middle of reading, I'd react badly.

The fact this guy is a fucking psychiatrist is scary in an of itself. This is a respected professional saying this kind of bullshit. And people are bound to believe him.

Playing games for 2 hours doesn't replicate the effects of snorting a line of cocaine. I've SEEN people who've just had cocaine, and no way in hell do 2-hour long gaming sessions produce that kind of effect. I've played games non-stop for way longer than 2 hours and I've still been able to think and reason like a normal, and sober, human being.

Long story short: this guy is fucking dumb and anyone who believes him deserves to be punched in the stomach. Repeatedly. Until they stop being so fucking dumb.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
What an idiot. This stupidity doesn't deserve to be discussed about. What is next? Gamers anonymous for video game addicts? Give it a break and take responsibility for what your kids do.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
is he really comparing cocaine to videogames

like is he actually doing that

i have no words for all the stupid

grammar fails me

i am as appalled as i am confused

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
Sleeplessness? Morrowind and Oblivion frequently put me to sleep while playing them. Several other games caused me to exhibit similar behavior if I wasn't able to play something else before losing consciousness on the nearest couch.

Andy Chalk said:
"Computer game addiction can also spiral into violence as after playing violent games, they may turn their fantasy games into reality," he continued. "It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally and physically."
Number of kids hopping fences using RPG explosions? Probably zero. Kids commanding scores of ants to attack other insects by encircling them with an imaginary cursor? Most likely zero. Number of kids interested in agriculture and animal husbandry after playing Farmville? You get the idea.

Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said. As for the claims about sleep disruption that started the whole mess, he said staying up late to play videogames causes an "endorphin high in [kids'] brains," leading to a "chemical imbalance" that disrupts behavior and learning.
Little kids react the same way when anything is taken away from them: candy, television, toys, etc.

Is there an abstract of Steve Pope's research anywhere? MCV article and other news aggregators with the same article don't have it. I assume this is just BS reporting to vilify games so that defenders of video games can rise to defend their pastime.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I can see what he might be trying to mean, however he is talking about addiction not people who just like playing games, he just lumping us all together. Also try take anything from a child that the child enjoys and you will get an angry reaction

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said. As for the claims about sleep disruption that started the whole mess, he said staying up late to play videogames causes an "endorphin high in [kids'] brains," leading to a "chemical imbalance" that disrupts behavior and learning.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43423/Two-hours-gaming-a-line-of-cocaine]

Tennis is ALSO like Cocaine. Just walk onto a court where two people are playing, and try to take the Racket out of their hands! Watch how they react with hostility!

Boxing too! Walk into the ring, and try to pull the pants down of the boxor. OMG!