There Should Be More Incentive for Trophies & Achievements

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't really care for trophies, so I'm not sure if I care either way.

I did kinda like how some in game unlocks are tied to achievements for certain games.... but at the same time some of those unlocks can be positively obnoxious. I remember feeling absolutely blasted playing Shadows of Mordor, cause one of the missions relating to upgrading my dagger or whatever it was needed me to kill a specific orc in a very specific way and it was driving me absolutely insane. But I think this is probably the best way forward in terms of incentivizing achievements. Though I must say not to tie too many achievements to multiplayer modes, cause some older games basically have impossible to complete achievements.

I think the logistics for rewarding achievements with things like discounts would be crazy. It's probably down to the storefront owner to be paying out of pocket for these. This might lead them to pressure devs to not make their cheevos too easy so they don't have to pay out so much. On platforms like Steam, there's plenty of stupid cheevo-troll games all about giving you a stupid amount of achievements for doing fuck so I'm not sure how they will affect an ecosystem where "high performing" gamers are rewarded with freebies and discounts. There's probably loopholes for exploitation all over the shop depending on the implementation. People will probably figure out hacks and such to get the achievements without actually doing them.

Honestly, why do we need to actively incentivize everything? Aren't we playing games for ourselves? You get the platinum cause you want to, its for your own sense of accomplishment.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't really care for trophies, so I'm not sure if I care either way.

I did kinda like how some in game unlocks are tied to achievements for certain games.... but at the same time some of those unlocks can be positively obnoxious. I remember feeling absolutely blasted playing Shadows of Mordor, cause one of the missions relating to upgrading my dagger or whatever it was needed me to kill a specific orc in a very specific way and it was driving me absolutely insane. But I think this is probably the best way forward in terms of incentivizing achievements. Though I must say not to tie too many achievements to multiplayer modes, cause some older games basically have impossible to complete achievements.

I think the logistics for rewarding achievements with things like discounts would be crazy. It's probably down to the storefront owner to be paying out of pocket for these. This might lead them to pressure devs to not make their cheevos too easy so they don't have to pay out so much. On platforms like Steam, there's plenty of stupid cheevo-troll games all about giving you a stupid amount of achievements for doing fuck so I'm not sure how they will affect an ecosystem where "high performing" gamers are rewarded with freebies and discounts. There's probably loopholes for exploitation all over the shop depending on the implementation. People will probably figure out hacks and such to get the achievements without actually doing them.

Honestly, why do we need to actively incentivize everything? Aren't we playing games for ourselves? You get the platinum cause you want to, its for your own sense of accomplishment.
I agree there isn't really any need to incentivize, as long as the devs don't actually care if people are doing their laundry list of objectives. I mean, I personally don't have a single platinum on my PS4, and in fact, I don't think I own a single game in which I've completed every achievement. SOME games, because of how the game is, and how much I enjoy it, I'll want to try and get at least more of them. But if the list includes really stupid shit, I just lose interest. So achievements like "Complete Ultra Death Spooky Hard Mode's Arena Battle with only the starting dagger, and not getting hit once!" ....ok yeah, fuck you game, I'm not doing that. But achievements like "Find a way to resolve the riot peacefully" where it's a story outcome, and they are giving you props for finding an alternate way to resolve one of the challenges, those I do like.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Do you remember when doing completionist stuff used to unlock costumes and features that nowadays are only in DLCs?

Developers and publishers have no reason for rewarding players for getting 100% trophies and achievements. If bragging rights isn't enough for you and you didn't enjoy getting them, too bad. But it isn't all bad; at least you "got gud" in the process... /s

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Do you remember when doing completionist stuff used to unlock costumes and features that nowadays are only in DLCs?

Developers and publishers have no reason for rewarding players for getting 100% trophies and achievements. If bragging rights isn't enough for you and you didn't enjoy getting them, too bad. But it isn't all bad; at least you "got gud" in the process... /s
Personally, random costumes as rewards was never a huge draw for me, especially if the challenge was something obnoxious. Like, I appreciate things like the Cod of War costume, but some of those challenges, just, yeah fuck off thanks.

Though honestly, it's kind of making a resurgence, as 2 recent titles, had a LOT of in game unlock content, like a LOT of it. Ghost of Tsushima, and Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Both games, (Fenyx especially), had a ton of purely cosmetic things, that were locked behind completionist tasks. Fenyx did it to the point of being a detriment I think. They would have you do, epic, mythical quests, that were actually part of the storyline as a side quest...and they would even tell you "This mythical being, now freed, blesses Fenyx with power to help with her battle!" ....and it's just a skin for their helmet.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Not many games did it, but I prefer it when there's multiple routes to an unlock. Maybe the obnoxious difficult achievement is the fastest way to get it, or maybe you can just keep playing the game and somehow earn it through in game currency or whatever. I remember Dead or Alive 2 having the costumes unlock just through playing the game enough. I vaguely remember some fighting games just having you earn points passively through playing its various modes, and you could just buy stuff from a shop.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Not many games did it, but I prefer it when there's multiple routes to an unlock.
Yeah usually I see it be set up as different achievements for the same situation. So like, "Completed Chapter 2's Hostage Situation With No Deaths", or the other one "Completed Chapter 2's Hostage Situation By Killing Everyone"